• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your "famous" recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
What's that one meal or food item that is your specialty? You know, like your dad's "famous chili"? Let's trade some recipes up in here! Unless of course, it's so famous you're unwilling to share.

I make a mean vodka sauce.

22 or so oz. of cherry/grape tomatoes
5.5 oz tomato paste
1 red bell pepper
1 habanero
handful of fresh sweet basil
Salt & Pepper
1 tbs or so of fresh oregano
A few squirts of your fave hot sauce, in a pinch Sriracha does just fine
Liberal amounts of olive oil to coat the blender

Blend until mostly smooth

Sautee some finely diced garlic and onions in a pan with butter for a few minutes

Pour in blended mixture
Add 1 cup of Vodka, bring to a boil and let it cook for a few minutes on medium heat
Add 1 cup of cream, bring to a boil again and then let it simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes until nice and thick.

Boom. Throw some penne or ravioli in that bitch, grate some fresh parmesan over the top and you got yourself a tasty meal!

You'll have to excuse my less than specific measurements, I usually just wing it and eye everything out

Tenebrous

It sounds really boring, but I make the best cheese on toast known to man.

(Butter, red onion, and a mixture of cheeses make the difference).

Switch Back 9

I make some pretty awesome fajita's apparently.

A mix of red wine vinegar, veg oil, garlic, and McCormick Fajita seasoning (nothing else will do there)

Marinate alllll day your thin strips of steak or chicken. Flash fry them, add some of the marinade to sliced peppers and red onion, fry them, homemade tortillas, sour cream, guac if it's in season, some rice and beans...

They are the best.

That sounds soooooo tasty. Mouth is legit watering after reading that.

Dai101

Banned
It sounds really boring, but I make the best cheese on toast known to man.

(Butter, red onion, and a mixture of cheeses make the difference).

img_5844_156999231.jpg

A.K.A: the struggwich.

lem0n

My grandfather's Spaghetti sauce. Been making and tweaking it for years, I'm confident he'd be proud of how it's come along since he taught me when I was 13!

In a pan, brown:
Half a yellow pepper, minced
Half an onion, minced
clove or 2 of garlic, minced
1 or 2 tsb Olive oil

Then add:
2 cans Pastene puree (You gotta get the Pastene brand!)
1 can Pastene paste
1 Pastene puree can of water
Salt, pepper, assorted seasonings like oregano, parsley, bay leaf, etc...

Chop up this stuff and season it as you like:
1lb chicken breast
1lb pork chop
1lb hot Italian sausage

Make the meatballs:
1.5lb hamburger
mozzarella and parmesean cheese
1 egg
bread crumbs
seasonings

Add all that shit together and let it simmer on low for a couple hours. Then salt the water and get them noodles cooking.

Been a hit with everyone that's had it.

I've been a barista and a bartender and I also like cooking, so I know how to make lots of stuff, but I can't claim anything I've made for my own. I mostly mess around with portions of ingredients. I'm not sure that's a recipe.

Switch Back 9

My grandfather's Spaghetti sauce. Been making and tweaking it for years, I'm confident he'd be proud of how it's come along since he taught me when I was 13!

In a pan, brown:
Half a yellow pepper, minced
Half an onion, minced
clove or 2 of garlic, minced
1 or 2 tsb Olive oil

Then add:
2 cans Pastene puree (You gotta get the Pastene brand!)
1 can Pastene paste
1 can water
Salt, pepper, assorted seasonings like oregano, parsley, bay leaf, etc...

Chop up this stuff and season it as you like:
1lb chicken breast
1lb pork chop
1lb hot Italian sausage

Make the meatballs:
1.5lb hamburger
mozzarella and parmesean cheese
1 egg
bread crumbs
seasonings

Add all that shit together and let it simmer on low for a couple hours. Then salt the water and get them noodles cooking.

Been a hit with everyone that's had it.

It's already a hit with me. This is the kind of stuff I made the thread for, not jello-shots and cereal lol.

lem0n

It's already a hit with me. This is the kind of stuff I made the thread for, not jello-shots and cereal lol.

If you ever give it a shot I'd love to hear your feedback. I cooked this up when I first met my girlfriend, and she's been around for almost 6 years. What's that tell you! Hahahah

temp

posting on contract only
Homemade pizza with pear, bacon, Gorgonzola, provolone, and green onion. It's pretty darn good.

HylianTom

Banned
I've won a handful of dessert contests at work with this recipe:

Butterfinger Pie
- grind six regular sized Butterfinger bars to a fine powder in a blender or food processor
- add this powder to a standard-sized tub of Cool Whip
- blend together until homogeneous
- pour this mixture into a graham cracker crust (alternatively, I like the Nabisco Oreo pie crust)
- allow it to set in the refrigerator overnight

Enjoy!

Switch Back 9

Not just any bear, but Bosc pear, the "aristocrat of pears." Sweet and savory, baby!

I don't know why but this really made me LOL.

Butterfinger Pie
- grind six regular sized Butterfinger bars to a fine powder in a blender or food processor
- pour this mixture into a graham cracker crust (alternatively, I like the Nabisco Oreo pie crust)

Enjoy!

Sounds diabetically delicious lol

lem0n

Butterfinger Pie

Enjoy!

This sounds simple and delicious.

I'm known for a lot of recipes among family and friends. Trying to think of which is most popular. Probably either my bolognese, my hatch chicken white bean chili, or my meatballs. Some of my desserts are pretty popular too (various cookies, pies, et cetera)

Crispy75

Crispy75's Bean Curry

Toast in a dry pan a teaspoon each of coriander cumin and mustard seeds.
Just as you start to see smoke, tip them all out and grind to dust in a pestle & mortar.
Put back in the pan with a generous glug of oil, and a teaspoon each of tumeric and paprika.

Finely (and I mean finely) chop one onion, half a bulb of garlic, a couple of small green chillies and half a golf ball sized chunk of ginger. Add to the pan on a high heat to get things sizzling, then turn down to medium and stir regularly. You're making a paste here.

Slice a couple of peppers into strips and add to the pan. When soft, add ooh I dunno a cup or so? of vegetable stock and then tip in 2 drained tins of beans. I like to use butter beans and borlotti beans, but whatever. Simmer with the lid off and reduce, stirring every now and then so the beans mush up and thicken the sauce a bit. Takes about 30m.

Boil up some rice. Add salt a pinch of tumeric, a couple of cloves and a cardomom pod to the water first to make it tasty.

Stir a tablespoon of mango chutney and 3-4 tablespoons of plain yoghurt into the curry.

Serve. Enjoy.

(I might have the quanitities totally out here. I do it by eye)

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I take pork tenderloin and let it marinate in a mix of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika for 6-8 hours, then I rub it in the same mix of brown sugar and spices and I grill it. I slice it up and serve it on Isreali couscous and I'll usually have some grilled corn or asparagus with it. It is fantastic.

ReAxion

Yay. Especially when making stew, the browning the meat phase takes FOREVER if you do it properly. You can't just dump it all in the pan at once, you can only do a few at a time to get a proper brown.

Yeah, it's worth it every time tho. When I make this http://food52.com/recipes/15926-a-bowl-of-green it can be like 5 batches of browning. Then again, saving time really isn't the goal with that recipe.

Some ground beef & taco seasoning mix for white people tacos, that's one I do fairly often. Quick, easy weeknight dinner for the fam.

Salmon and tomato cream pasta.

olive oil
200g of salmon
2 packets or tablespoons of tomato paste
2-3 cloves of garlic
200g penne
1 small carton of cream
halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
baby spinach
salt and black pepper

Put a hefty lug of olive oil in the pan and cook the salmon on medium heat until almost done.
Lower the heat right down. Add crushed garlic and cook for 1-2 mins.
Add salt and crushed black pepper.
Add cream and tomato paste and mix in. Boil the pasta in salted water.
While the pasta is boiling add the cherry tomatoes and baby spinach to the sauce. Put a lid on the pan so the spinach softens.
When penne is al dente, ladle it into a bowl and top with sauce.

Takes about 20-30 minutes to make, is delicious and healthy. My wife and daughter love it.

paskowitz

Drink:
- 2.5oz Tito's Vodka
- ~10oz Volcano Blood Orange Juice
- Ice
- Shaker (shake)
- Rosemary infused honey (cook honey w/rosemary then coat inside of glass)
- Serve with spring of lavender

Appetizer:
- Plate of blood orange wedges wrapped in a slice of cured wagyu beef, held together by a drop of saffron honey, a light dusting of Fleur de Sel (fancy sea salt).

Main:
- Chilean Sea Bass cooked on a pan. Olive oil, salt and pepper, cappers, red peppers and blood orange jelly. Served with clean couscous.

Ravijn

I make some pretty awesome fajita's apparently.

A mix of red wine vinegar, veg oil, garlic, and McCormick Fajita seasoning (nothing else will do there)

Marinate alllll day your thin strips of steak or chicken. Flash fry them, add some of the marinade to sliced peppers and red onion, fry them, homemade tortillas, sour cream, guac if it's in season, some rice and beans...

They are the best.

Mmmmm. I switched from using the powdered version of that seasoning to this...

ZQo8C4O.jpg

See if you can find that at your store and try it. It's pretty damn tasty.

marzlapin

Pasta with Sausage and Swiss Chard

(makes about 4-6 servings)
1 lb pork or turkey hot italian sausage, removed from casings. If your store sells loose sausage meat at the meat counter, get that and skip this step.
1 large bunch swiss or rainbow chard, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil
salt to taste
grated parmesan--splurge on Reggiano for maximum flavor
(optional) red pepper flakes to taste if you like spicy
1 package pasta--I usually go for linguine or penne

Coat your pan lightly with olive oil and brown the sausage meat
Remove the sausage from the pan
Pour off excess grease but keep enough there to fry the veggies in
In the same pan, sauté the onion until translucent
Add the garlic and sauté about 30 seconds more
Add the swiss chard, sauté until tender but still a little crisp
Season with salt to taste
Turn off the heat and mix the sausage back into the veggie mixture
Serve over pasta and top with parmesan (I usually boil the water while I'm cooking the other stuff, then dump in the pasta when the sausage and chard is almost done)

Easy and super delicious! Most of the stuff I make is from other people's recipes but this one's mine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Clam Sauce for Pasta

3 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Wondra or Sauce Flour (I've used regular flour because I'm lazy)
2 Tablespoons Evaporated Milk (which is annoying to keep in stock)
1/4 Cup clam Juice (usually clams come in juice, but you can buy it separately)
2 cans chopped clams
pinch of Thyme
pinch of Parsley

First thing, make a slurry with the Flour and the Evaporated Milk. Don't do it later, it will clump and be annoying.

Then, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the clams, and cook them up a little bit to give em some flavor. Add the clam juice and heat it up slowly until its nice and hot. Add a pinch of Thyme, salt and a couple of cracks of black pepper. Add the slurry and stir it together. Finally, add the Parsley and let it simmer for a few minutes.

It takes literally like 5 minutes to make this and it kicks ass. It' does not produce a ton of sauce though, you can definitely add more juice, butter and milk to make a sauce that has more liquid in it.

brau

BBQ Meatloaf
350 degrees * 45 mins

MEAT
2 Pounds of ground beef (I usually put one ground beef and one ground pork)
½ cup of bbq sauce (The bbq sauce that i have found works the best for this meatloaf is Hunts bbq sauce, but feel free to try your favorite.)
¼ chopped white onion (Keep it small)
1 egg beaten
3 loafs of bread, white, in pieces
2 spoons of parsley (I tend to add a bit more than that tho)
150g of bacon (i pre cook it first to make sure its not soft when the meatloaf comes out, so cook it until its not soggy and drain the fat)
1 can of beef broth
2 cloves of garlic minced or finely chopped

INSIDE
3 boiled eggs (peel, take out the yellow and chop the white finely)
2 carrots (chop them in cubes really fine pieces)
½ cups of raisins

Put the meat in a container, add bbq sauce and mix. Later add the fine chopped onion, garlic, beaten egg, bread and parsley and mix. Flatten the meat and you can add the boiled eggs, bacon, carrots and raisins. Roll it up and bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins.

Mix can of beef with broth with 1 cup of bbq sauce. Mix. Bath the meatloaf as it cooks with this sauce.

Best served with garlic buttery mashed potatoes with some wasabi butter.

As you cook it make sure you soak it, and you want to make sure the outside of the meatloaf is cooked until its a darker brown. So i generally let it sit in the oven for a little longer. But its up to you guys. If you guys are lazy and don’t want to make it as a roll, you can just mix everything together and shape it as a meatloaf thingie. Don’t forget to keep soaking the meatloaf ever 10 mins or so to keep it juicy and not like those dry meatloafs people make. Feel free to add a little more bbq sauce.

For reheating, i like to use some of the bbq/ meat broth sauce, put it in a pan at medium heat, add a slice of meatloaf and let it cook in there with a cover, flip, and let it cook. Some people say the after meatloaf is even better. So enjoy!

QualityPixels Killer Brownies. This is really easy to make.

1/2 cup salted butter melted
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 large eggs (or 3 jumbo)
1 cup white flower
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
Melt butter is large bowl.
Add cocoa and mix till smooth.
Add sugar, vanilla, eggs and mix till large lumps are broken apart (don't go crazy on the mixing).
Add flower and salt. Stirr till flower is only mixed in. Should only take a few seconds. If you keep mixing at this step you activate the wheat gluten and ruin the batter.
Spread batter in a lubed 9x13 inch pan (I have only used glass).
Bake approximately 25 minutes. Check with toothpick at about 22 minutes. Bake till it's no longer gooey.

Acceptable variations:
+ 1/4 cup sugar=chewy brownies
+ 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder = dark chocolate brownies
+1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips in batter
Thin layer of chocolate or mint frosting.

Unacceptable variations:
Do not substitute the salted butter for unsalted butter or margarine or Crisco.
Do not over mix the batter!
Recipe does not work with baking chocolate, you must use powder.

If these aren't the best damn brownies you've ever had then you probably over mixed the batter or baked them too long.

I do many from scratch recipes, but I dig them all up online. I normally only use it once and then I wing it the other times I make it until I get it the way I like it.

I'm beginning to perfect my cooking of dried beans. The key isn't about soaking them overnight, you just need to keep them on a low boil for a few solid hours. A simmer will fatten them, but not soften them. And there's no amount of cooking to salvage it after that.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My Hot and Sour soup recipe passed down to me from 0 generations ago:

E3gXaZa.png

Hot and Sour Soup

10 Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
handful of black bamboo fungus
5 cups hot water
1/2 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup and 2 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 cup and 2 tbsp cornstarch
1 container of firm tofu
8 cups of chicken broth

2 tbsp gochujang (korean red pepper paste)
or
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

1 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 green onion sliced
2 cups white or cremini mushrooms sliced
1 lb pork belly or loin cubed
A few pinches of salt
Ground black pepper
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup minced carrots julienned
2 cups canned bamboo shoot julienned
2 tbsp chili oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 egg, beaten

Optional:
1 cup minced crab

1. In a container place shiitake mushrooms and bamboo fungus with 5 cups hot water. Soak for 20 minutes at least. Drain liquid into a reserve container. remove stems from mushrooms and fungus and slice into thin strips.

2. in another bowl, blend soy sauce, rice vinegar and 1 tbsp corn starch. Place 1/2 of the tofu strips into the mixture

3. In a heavy pot, fry the cubed with green onions and garlic and lightly salt. Sear the meat on its sides and remove from heat.

4. In the same pot, dispose the excess oil, add in the mushroom liquid with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add the shiitake mushrooms, fungus and bamboo.

5. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes

6. Add the carrots and the sliced white mushrooms

6. Season with pepper paste or pepper flakes and black pepper, and add the pork back in.

7. . Mix soy sauce mixture and remaining tofu into the pot.

8. In another bowl, mix remaining cornstarch and water.

9. Slowly stir it into the soup slowly to desired thickness

10. Bring back to a slow boil.

11. Stir in Chili oil and sesame oil to taste.

12. Drizzle in the beaten egg while stirring.

13. Let simmer while stirring until the flavours meld together, adjusting chili, sesame oil, soy sauce and vinegar to taste.

Enjoy.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
black burned toast (preferably sourdough), way too much peanut butter, and a small smattering of jelly

the DPB Special

Curry.

3 cloves of garlic (diced)
1 Small onion (diced small)
Meat of your choice
Potatos (cubed)
Carrots (sliced)
Vegetable oil
Curry powder
Pepper (I like my curry spicy so I use a little bit of habaneros/goat peppers)
Salt
Sugar (or an apple)
Water

Heat oil on medium high.
Fry down garlic, onion, pepper, and curry powder.
Add meat when curry is fragrant.
Cook until cooked.
Add water, salt, and sugar/apple (just to offset the bitterness of the curry).
Turn pot down to medium-low.
Add carrots, let cook for 10 minutes.
Add potatoes (they will thicken.
Continue cooking until potatoes are soft, ensuring that you add water if needed (so the bottom doesn't stick),adding seasonings to taste, and stirring occasionally.
Serve with white rice (I like basmati best) or roti.

It can also be made with channa/garbonzo/chick peas.

my famous slow cooked shredded taco beef with chipotles that i sort of threw together from various online recipes. I add a tiny bit of barbecue sauce to give it a hint of sweetness to compliment the smokiness and I double the garlic....possibly triple. i just throw a metric fuck ton of garlic in. Leave the fat in and only drain it when I heat up a batch. Freezes very well.

mcz117chief

I make the best spread known to man and it is super easy

Quark - 400g
Mayonnaise - 5 or 6 soup spoons
Chilli powder - 5 or 6 soup spoons
Large tomatoes - 2 and a 1/2 (diced)
Spring onions - 2 or 3 (sliced)
jalapenos - as much as you like
and a spicy sauce of your choice (but you need something strong so you can feel it over all that quark)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom