• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite game developed by Rare

What's your favorite game developed by Rare?

• Total voters

Kuranghi

I will never forget these things:

* The silenced pistol firing sound
* The noise it makes when your shots hit the enemy
* How explosions sound, when you blow up... well... everything
* The "slapper" chop SFX

Last edited:
Lol'd @ kinect sports lol

Sea of thieves is my answer. Game has come such a long way. Have a blast playing it with my wife.

Last edited:

Jeeves

I seriously think I have a five-way tie between DKC 1, DCK 2, Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, and Jet Force Gemini. Rare had quite the grip on my childhood!

EDIT: You left out Jet Force Gemini?!

Last edited:

Deanington

I dont know, I really liked the whimsical/fantasy/charming styles of Kameo and Viva. So I picked Kameo. So many good games to choose outside of those.

Last edited:

greencoder

might GIF

... to choose. Voted for Kameo though, as the game doesn't get enough recognition.

Last edited:

SantaC

Wizards & Warriors is my favorite.

I have no idea why Nintendo sold them for measily 300 million dollars. Especially when Rare contributed to half of N64s library lol.

sinnergy

DKC all the way, back then I worked in a store which also sold games. I was at the official Dutch launch, there where guys from the Nintendo hotline there which later worked for the power unlimited and Game kings here in The Netherlands. They had DKC running on USA snes systems . Martijn Krabbé was also there .. as he had a game show on Dutch TV ... off topic ...

Last edited:
Wizards & Warriors is my favorite.

I have no idea why Nintendo sold them for measily 300 million dollars. Especially when Rare contributed to half of N64s library lol.
It's their very conservative nature that bit them on that one. It's a benefit that lets them run a really tight ship, but yeah. Damn I really wonder what they could have done on wii ._.

Kuranghi

We need to get to the bottom of this, doesn't this make no sense? Japanese people pronounce L's as "ur", not "ru" don't they?

Example: In the treehouse live videos of Breath of the Wild, the one where they announced the Bokoblin amiibo I hear Eiji Aonuma saying "Bo-ko-bu-rin". So it would be "im-poss-i-bur" surely? Or am I missing something, ie its different if the word ends in L.

I am thinking about this meme too deeply but It annoys me every time, please clarify NihonGAF.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don't think I can vote yet but: Perfect Dark.

Really hard decision as Rare is my favorite developer, but I still play PD64 regularly with a college friend. I prefer the campaign of GE though I think. I do wish the GE weapons were available in PD.

SantaC

It's their very conservative nature that bit them on that one. It's a benefit that lets them run a really tight ship, but yeah. Damn I really wonder what they could have done on wii ._.
I was more interested what they could had done on gamecube. I never liked the wii because of the pointless waggle.

Rare were technical wizards at the time. I wish Wizards & Warriors 3rd person game.

TexMex

At the time I’d have said Goldeneye. If I’m playing these today, the first Banjo.

Big honorable mention to Snake Rattle and Roll.

Voted for the first DKC. After finally playing the sequels, it's not even close. They are good but nothing tops that game. A technical & gameplay marvel.

We need to get to the bottom of this, doesn't this make no sense? Japanese people pronounce L's as "ur", not "ru" don't they?
There is no separate L or R in hiragana, they use the same character for both, hence the confusion to foreigners.

There is a way to write foreign words phonetically using Japanese characters. So he is just literally saying the English word "Impossible" but if someone wants to make fun of how Japanese people in a racist way they will use the R in the captions to make it sound like he doesn't know the word.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I was more interested what they could had done on gamecube. I never liked the wii because of the pointless waggle.

Rare were technical wizards at the time. I wish Wizards & Warriors 3rd person game.
I actually wanted a GC because of them. Shortly after I got a GC I discovered Halo and really liked it, then MS bought Rare and I felt sort of ripped off having gotten a GC.

To me in the 90s, Rare was 70% of Nintendo.

Dr. Suchong

Entombed C64
I remember getting my C64 for Christmas, it came with a compilation cassette with several "Ultimate play the Game" games on it.
I thought "ehh, I'll give it a shot", loaded up Entombed and was hooked.
Yes I know it was developed by Dave and Bob Thomas, but I'll always remember it as a Ultimate/Rare game.
Snake rattle and Roll too :)
Oh! and Cobra Triangle lol

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I can't vote man, can't pick a favorite between all of those cool games.

For me it's a tie between DKC, Banjo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini...

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hmm, I wasn't there when N64, GameCube was in full swing, I would say it's Sea of Thieves with friends.

regawdless

Banned
Hard choice. I'd say Banjo Kazooie. The sound, the charme, the levels, the "dialogue", the characters, just great.

But it's close.
I loved Diddy Kong Racing, played the shit out of it in SP and MP.

Goldeneye is a Classic and the crazy dumb MP was amazing.

Many great games.

Pointless waggle?! That's as much of a reductionist statement as calling the ps2 the dvd console. More so, since Wii actually did something new. Some games really benefited from motion and I could list them, but the real star of the show was the IR pointer. FPS games crapped on dual analog, and there are gems like Sin and punishment and Pikmin that just play miles better with pointing. Wii mote is the innovation that deserved to live, but sigh.

But even if you take motion out of it, rare could've made a game with gamecube controls or classic controls, and Wii is a significantly more capable machine. If Starfox could've been done on cube, what about Wii?

But yeah, think what they could've done on gamecube past their first game, and continue to do on Wii and Wii U if Rare stuck around. Would've filled a lot of holes in the lineup I suspect.

cyber_ninja

Rc Pro-am and Battletoads were the only games I have enjoyed, everything else I tried from that studio wasn't my cup of tea.

Example: In the treehouse live videos of Breath of the Wild, the one where they announced the Bokoblin amiibo I hear Eiji Aonuma saying "Bo-ko-bu-rin". So it would be "im-poss-i-bur" surely? Or am I missing something, ie its different if the word ends in L.

I am thinking about this meme too deeply but It annoys me every time, please clarify NihonGAF.
If you have to write it, it's gonna be
Im po si bu ru

Top Bottom