• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's *your* phobia, GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil ways

Well my fear of clowns began when I was about 6 years old and this drunken clown person who was selling balloons showed up around our school. The guy was dirty, drunk, smelly and only carried around a bag of party balloons and one of those hand pumps to fill them up with air.

Some of the other kids started screaming stuff at him and laughing and outta nowhere he went crazy and started to kick and shake the gate and fence that kept him off school property. He said he was going to burn the whole school down with us inside. He then promised he would find a way to get inside the school and tried to squeeze himself in through the steel gate. The police came and all but I don't think they ever caught him.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Canadian%20otter.jpg

AAIIEEEEEEEEEEE!

B'z-chan

Banned
Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.
Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders.
Bathophobia- Fear of depth.
Catapedaphobia- Fear of jumping from high and low places.
Claustrophobia- Fear of confined spaces.
Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns.
Dishabiliophobia- Fear of undressing in front of someone.
Eremophobia- Fear of being oneself or of lonliness.

If there are a few for being nude and from drowning and swiming in deep dark water count those too.

i've got a lot of problems I blame my parents

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Cardiophobia - I hate the sound of hearts beating, like in movies or if I can hear/feel my own heart while laying in bed.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm learning about phobias in Psychology.

Most of the people here exhibit mild phobias, but in order to be diagnosed as having a specific phobia, your fear must significantly interfere with your daily life.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Aphenphosmphobia- Fear of being touched.
Belonephobia- Fear of pins and needles.
Metathesiophobia- Fear of changes.

cubanb

Banned
evil ways said:
Well my fear of clowns began when I was about 6 years old and this drunken clown person who was selling balloons showed up around our school. The guy was dirty, drunk, smelly and only carried around a bag of party balloons and one of those hand pumps to fill them up with air.

Some of the other kids started screaming stuff at him and laughing and outta nowhere he went crazy and started to kick and shake the gate and fence that kept him off school property. He said he was going to burn the whole school down with us inside. He then promised he would find a way to get inside the school and tried to squeeze himself in through the steel gate. The police came and all but I don't think they ever caught him.
best clown ever! :lol

rs7k

Social phobia. Or better known as social anxiety, an actual problem I've been battling with for most of my life. The only good remedies for it that I know of are drugs or alcohol, so therefore I have a drug problem. Here I am on a Sunday night, drunk as hell, with no girlfriend or friends that understand my problem around, and now I feel like crying.

alejob

I fear the unknown. I'm not afraid of the sea but if throw me in, then I'll be scared of whats down there and I can't see.

Same thing, if you take me to some place that I don't know and it dark, no lights, I'll be scared shit of whats beyond where I can see. Specially if tell me a scary story before that. :D

7imz

i fear very extreme restricted movement, not in a sense of being in a crowded or small place, just not being able to move yourself at all

Willco

Hollywood Square
I'm not really scared of anything, except for stuff that everyone's afraid of... like death and shit like that.

Mumbles

I'm not too fond of crowds, and generally dislike being touched,, but they're really just a minor annoyance. However...

Belonephobia- Fear of pins and needles. (Aichmophobia)

I can handle pins and knives, but not if someone else is holding them. I can't stand hypodermic needles at all, though.

Doth Togo

My phobia is flying on discount commercial airlines. No shit. If I ever fly on discount airlines like ATA or AirTran or thereabouts I freak out because I somehow convince myself that the mechanics don't get paid enough to take care of the airplanes and that the plane will fall apart in mid air.

kumanoki

Necrophobia- Fear of death.

I guess I'm just boring that way.

EDIT: But I have no problem with watching people die. Isn't that funny?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I used to be shit scared of dogs when I was little. If there was a dog barking at a fence, I would cross the street and walk pretty quickly past it.

These days I'd go up and cuddle the most vicious of dogs, unless of course they were trained as guard dogs :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Robojimbophobia - Fear of the content of robojimbo's posts.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh sure, but when it's a thread I've already read, I start at the bottom. So I'm scrolling up, and here I see a spider. Then I see a clock with some legs. Then I look at the spider again. Then I look at the clock. Then I see the warning. Then I don't sleep tonight.

*I'm joking about really caring.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Seeing how I'm about to take 4 Exams that'll make or break As, sign me up for Testophobia.

Chony

Ornithophobia

I hate birds with a passion. I have been attacked by them. They stare at me. I hate them. I hate them. I hate the birds.

Jim Bowie

Nosocomephobia - Fear of hospitals

Yep, it's true. I can't stand being in one, or visiting people in one.

Last month, a person I knew had something go wrong with their bowels. They were hospitalized, and a group of my friends went to go visit her. I couldn't- I literally yelled at them that I wasn't going, went downstairs, and wept... I'm so afraid of them.

Like, seeing someone in their weakest state- that petrifies me. And also, what if someone is dying in the hospital? I know I can't help, and death is so very close. I guess it ties in with my extreme apprehension towards dying.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
robojimbo said:
I'm usually not afraid of spiders, but if I ever saw this thing I would literally shit myself:

SUFFERERS OF ARACHNEPHOBIA READ NO FURTHER

spider-clock.jpg

spider-closeup.jpg

Damn that thing is huge

Shinobi

Cynophobia- Fear of dogs

Had this fear since I was 5 years old. Was going up the stairs to my flat in England, when a German Shepard came from around the corner and was growling literally inches away from my face. Got chased down a hill by a labrador, making me drop my ice cream stick. Damn near got my fingers taken off when I was trailing my fingers along some bars in a fence, only to have two of the fiercest dogs I've ever seen trying to get at me. Was coming home one night from a soccer game when I came face to face with a German Shepard off it's leash with a couple of guys. Immediately turned around, and I could've sworn I heard one of the guys say "sic him". Hid around a corner for over five minutes before I had enough nerve to continue on. And that was all in England.

Doing a door to door sales job back in '98, I had a German Shepard squeeze out the door between the hinge and it's owner and run across the front lawn towards me, with really nothing but my bag in my way. For whatever reason it stopped several feet before it got to me. Not long after that I rang a doorbell, knowing someone was home since the door was open (the screen door was closed). Out of nowhere this full-sized brown pit bull takes a running leap at the screen door, and I'm convinced it was God's hand alone that kept that thing from opening up and having that pit bull use me for a chew toy. A few weeks later a rottweiler that was chained to a metal pole was doing it's damndest to get at me, with the pole half bending and shifting in weight. Needless to say, I've never bothered with another door to door sales gig again. :lol Sad thing is I was just about getting over my fear of dogs when the last two incidents occurred. I'll probably always fear dogs in some form.

Musophobia or Muriphobia- Fear of mice

This started a couple years ago...right when the first mice started showing up in our house. For a few months they just stuck to the basement, but one day a mouse entered my room while I was sitting on the floor playing some XBox, hiding under my table. Completely freaked me out, and I wasn't able to find it. A week later I'm in the computer room (where I am right now), and I hear a noise underneath the table beside the wall. I look down, and sure enough the same mouse is there. We got a glue trap and threw it under the table, and within minutes it got caught in there. I was then greeted with one of the most haunting sounds ever, as this thing was squeaking for it's life. It really shook me up. It ended up getting away, and to this day I'm not sure where it got to, though my guess is it went up the open laundry machine shaft that's in here. We got a cat a few months later, but she wound up bringing up more live mice then dead ones. There's been a couple of ocassions where I went into the kitchen in the morning, only to be greeted by one of the critters running across the work top or scurrying around the dishes rack. Simply hate and fear those things, particularly when I saw just how big these rodents can get (more on that later).

Necrophobia- Fear of death or dead things

This started in the summer of 2002. There was a two week period where I came across a string of dead animals on the sidewalk or the side of room. I think I came across three dead pigeons, two dead racoons and a mouse. One of the racoons I saw lying in front of an overcrowded garbage bin next to a bus stop (this was during Toronto's embarassing garbage strike) with it's mouth open and teeth showing. It simply disgusted me. Now if I even see a dead mouse at home, my blood grows cold.

The worst though was at work about a year ago. Cleaning up the floor as I usually do, I see this rolled up ball of plastic shrink warp lying on the floor in an area that I'd already cleaned. I get closer to up, and first completely froze, then instinctively backpeddled in shock for almost a minute. The damn thing wasn't plastic, but the fresh corpse of a three foot long rodent. I told the others about it and let them dump the thing...didn't have the stomach to go near it.

So that's it...there are other things I'm scared of, but I consider those things to be my real phobias now.

Francophobia- Fear of France or French culture. (Gallophobia, Galiophobia)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

etiolate

Banned
The forum has sophophobia! Oh zing.

Seriously, I have Necrophobia, Tomophobia and certainly Nosocomephobia. Been in too many hospitals.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Screaming_Gremlin said:
That is just funny. What the hell would cause someone to be that afraid of the Dutch?
You need to meet more Dutch people.
They scare the shit out of me.

Heights, although I'm scared I get urges to jump off, its rather terrible. Apparently Johnny Wilkinson has the same thing

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Agateophobia- Fear of insanity.
Amnesiphobia- Fear of amnesia.
Angrophobia - Fear of anger or of becoming angry. (as in reaching my breaking point)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Teh Hamburglar said:
Medomalacuphobia- Fear of losing an erection.

Reviving a fourteen-month old thread to comment about this particular phobia leads me to believe there's a story here. Do tell!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Apiphobia

I FUCKING HATE BEES.

Oh, and I've always loved one of the names for the fear of long words.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia :lol

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Heh, not about to look all the names up on that list, but I have 3 phobias: being near a cemetery, being in deep water, and needles.

Diablos

Being near a cemetary doesn't bother me. I'd rather avoid deep water but I don't know how scared I am of it. I hate needles.

I don't like people touching, grabbing, or even getting close to either of my pinkie toes.. I fear, with a surprising amount of dread, that they'll be snapped right off. Does that have a name? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom