• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheel of Time TV show airing tonight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hari Seldon

Eh the Power is probably less CGI intensive than the dragons from GoT. Plus it ramps up very slowly, so it gives the series time to catch on before they have to spend big bucks on CGI.

Maybe all this attention will cause this thing to finally be bought out by someone with money. I can't believe that Obsidian was going to make a game but was never funded. I'd be far more excited about that than a series lol.

bionic77

WOT is way more fantasy based than ASOIAF. You can get by on just the graphic sex and violence in the latter. ASOIAF is all about the trolls and setting up the next surprise. It is perfect for television.

The characters are also way more simplistic which to me would be better suited for a large action animated series more than a tv series or movie. We all want to see Matt on screen, but Rand and Perrin and most of the rest of the characters are pretty one dimensional.

Hari Seldon

I wonder if FX is going to option this series, this was probably their biggest 1:30am ratings in history with absolutely zero advertising haha.

Just started the first book yesterday. only got through the prologue before life tore me away. I wasn't feeling it, but hey, I wasn't feeling GoT for at least 100 pages before it clicked and I devoured the series.

I assume the general consensus is stick with it?

I got bored of the book a couple of hundred pages in when it turns into Lord of the Rings and all the characters get scattered.

Cyan

Banned
Yeah, the first book deliberately evokes a lot of stuff from Lord of the Rings. This doesn't continue in the rest of the series.

Ricker

Illiana...Illiana...Illiana...? That went way ,way too long,jesus...I thought this was going to be on FXCanada last evening in true HD and all...oh well,sorry for the confusion.

:lol

You can level a lot of complaints at the books, but being a LOTR ripoff is not one of them.

The only direct influence we know Jordan has acknowledged is Tolkien: "The only deliberate connection between WOT and any other modern fantasy was giving the first 100-odd pages of TEOTW a Lord of the Rings-esque flavor, to start people off in familiar territory." [from Dublin talk, 11/93, Emmet O'Brien]

I mean the author even admitted that it starts as a rip off of Lord of the Rings to get people into it.

El Topo

I mean the author even admitted that it starts as a rip off of Lord of the Rings to get people into it.

Rip off is a significant exaggeration. I don't see how anyone that has read the books could come to that conclusion. I'm also not quite sure how that quote proves you right in calling it a rip off.

Ricker

Maybe they are inspired by LoTR..like the books by David Eddings,the Belgeriad,Pawn of Prophecy that I am reading right now, and most fantasy books...

Cyan

Banned
Maybe they are inspired by LoTR..like the books by David Eddings,the Belgeriad,Pawn of Prophecy that I am reading right now, and most fantasy books...

It's not that. It's very clearly meant to evoke LotR. It's not even subtle. The book starts out with our heroes frightened by evil black-cloaked riders into leaving town, in the company of a wizard, heading for a magical city where they can confer on how to defeat the dark lord.

CrunchyB

It's not that. It's very clearly meant to evoke LotR. It's not even subtle. The book starts out with our heroes frightened by evil black-cloaked riders into leaving town, in the company of a wizard, heading for a magical city where they can confer on how to defeat the dark lord.

Yeah, this. It's almost embarrassing. But already towards the end of the first book it's obvious the story lines diverge.

LordOfChaos

Yeah, the first book deliberately evokes a lot of stuff from Lord of the Rings. This doesn't continue in the rest of the series.

A lot of fantasy starts that way. I think Terry Brooks said his publisher basically made him right a LoTR clone at first to get his foot in the door, before he could move around a bit.

Publishers want tried and true, once you get that down you can change your series around more.

Woorloog

Banned
Star Wars starts the same way pretty much. I figure all have the hero's journey structure, at least at first.
Very common... but also kind of popular.

studyguy

tumblr_mpo515sOjo1qgj4zoo4_250.gif

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
They can't seriously expect to intimidate Harriet and the Bandersnatch group into silence. I'm certain she has the means to get a great legal defense.

I hope this legal maneuver backfires on them tremendously.
I have no idea what all sort of resources Bandersnatch has, but I cannot imagine that the WoT royalties are a never-ending stream of money for them, so fighting the lawsuit could become very costly to them very quickly..

I have no idea what all sort of resources Bandersnatch has, but I cannot imagine that the WoT royalties are a never-ending stream of money for them, so fighting the lawsuit could become very costly to them very quickly..

More than what Red Eagle has, I'd guess. I can't say if they were rich, per se, but Jordan was #12 on the all time SFF sales list with 80+ million books sold.

More than what Red Eagle has, I'd guess. I can't say if they were rich, per se, but Jordan was #12 on the all time SFF sales list with 80+ million books sold.

Unfortunately, I think illness wiped out a lot of their savings - I remember reading somewhere that the planned followup WoT books were deals by Tor to help them afford the medical bills with the advances on the new books.

irriadin

Unfortunately, I think illness wiped out a lot of their savings - I remember reading somewhere that the planned followup WoT books were deals by Tor to help them afford the medical bills with the advances on the new books.

That's sad to hear. :(

There is some good news on this front, though. I've seen it reported that the Bandersnatch group is getting a LOT of money from Tor for doing the Wheel of Time Encyclopedia coming out later this year. (The same report said that Tor offered Harriet a lot of money to continue writing in the Wheel of Time universe, but she turned them down.)

Another interesting bit of news: http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/2vh1uj/digging_deeper_into_red_eagle_only_leads_to_more/

Instro

I've been reading the first book on and off for several months. It's slow going, largely because I don't carve out time for reading like I should, but its pretty enjoyable.

irriadin

I've been reading the first book on and off for several months. It's slow going, largely because I don't carve out time for reading like I should, but its pretty enjoyable.

If you enjoy the first book, definitely continue to the second. The Great Hunt is a much better book, in my opinion.

LordOfChaos

So I just watched this.

It's super terrible.

End my suffering, Billy Zane.

Everyone was saying he was the one ok part of it - I wasn't ok with him at all. I mean, he's a fine enough actor, but Ishmael, the betrayer of hope, isn't supposed to be some jolly bearded joker. Dude has a god complex, plus is a total nihilist.

hythloday

Everyone was saying he was the one ok part of it - I wasn't ok with him at all. I mean, he's a fine enough actor, but Ishmael, the betrayer of hope, isn't supposed to be some jolly bearded joker. Dude has a god complex, plus is a total nihilist.

I agree with you - he was totally wrong as Ishamael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom