• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When can we expect to see the first 30 fps next-gen game?

When can we expect to see the first 30 fps next-gen game?

• On launch day

Votes: 58 80.6%
  • Within the first 3 months

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Within the first 6 months

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Within the first year

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Within the first three years

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Only after the launch of the "pro" versions of the consoles

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Never, all next-gen games will target 60 fps

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

Kazza

With Xbox already promising that all "next-gen" first party games will also be also playable on last gen consoles for the first couple of years, one would assume that these will be able to achieve 60 fps on the Series X, even with the expected detail and resolution boost. With PS5, things are a little less clear, but Sony is unlikely to completely abandon their PS4 owners, especially given the upcoming economic problems (although they might go for at least one 30 fps graphical showcase title to show off the hardware).

I would have said that maybe the next Assassin's Creed game would be the first 30 fps game, but that seems destined for the PS4 and Xbox One too, so 60 fps on the new consoles shouldn't be too hard to achieve. To the best of my knowledge, no third party publisher has committed to a next-gen exclusive title yet, so again it's probably safe to say that any game designed to be playable on last-gen hardware will be able to hit 60 fps on next-gen systems. Some argue that, with the weak Jaguar CPUs no longer holding the framerate back, 60 fps will become the norm, although I'm sceptical myself.

If I had to guess, my money would be on a Sony exclusive title being the first 30 fps game, probably within 6 months of launch.

How about you guys?

Last edited:

Stuart360

On launch day imo. Maybe not from first party launch games, but i'm certain there will be some multiplatform games that are 30fps, especially if they get a bit giddy and try to push the systems hard.

Last edited:

Kazza

On launch day imo. Maybe not from first party launch games, but i'm certain there will be some multiplatform games that are 30fps, especially if they get a bit giddy and try to puch the systems hard.

I get the feeling that third party games are the least likely to be 30 fps, as they will all surely be launching on previous gen consoles too (maybe even the Switch as well). Then again, I suppose some third parties could get a little lazy, and simply be happy with getting title running at 1080p/30 fps on last-gen systems to run at 4k/30 fps on next gen ones

Stuart360

I get the feeling that third party games are the least likely to be 30 fps, as they will all surely be launching on previous gen consoles too (maybe even the Switch as well). Then again, I suppose some third parties could get a little lazy, and simply be happy with getting title running at 1080p/30 fps on last-gen systems to run at 4k/30 fps on next gen ones
Yeah but how many cross gen games from this gen were 60fps compared to 30fps on PS3/360?, not many that i can recall, if any actually.

mortal

Gold Member
Frame rates will be up to developers and what they decide to allocate recourses to.
There will be plenty of 60fps games next gen, and there will be plenty of 30fps games that will shoot for high visual fidelity.

There were games that ran at 60fps even on PS2 & the OG Xbox.

Last edited:

Neo_game

I know some PC gamers cannot play games running at 30fps but for me it was never a problem. I still believe most guys do not know at what fps the game runs. Obviously there will be 60fps games and probably at 4K as well but I think some games will probably have an option like quality and performance mode.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I know some PC gamers cannot play games running at 30fps but for me it was never a problem. I still believe most guys do not know at fps the game runs unless you the fps counter telling you. Obviously there will be 60fps games and probably at 4K as well but I think some games will probably have an option like quality and performance mode.
Come on now, lets not go there. You're right about PC users though (i am one), people always assume its 'master race' bullshit when PC users joke about 30fps, but its actually that 30fps looks shit on PC if you lock it, i mean really bad framepacing. If you know what you are doing though, there are ways to produce a 'console like' 30fps on PC.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed next gen (and all following games) have 30 fps written all over it for eternity.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dev always choose best graphic over 60fps every gen. This true story.
Not true.

We're slowly skewing to 60 fps. Every gen gets a bit more 60 fps games. The following are 60 fps almost all the time now

- Shooters
- Sports
- Racers
- Fighting
- Puzzle/Indie

SP action games are hit and miss. DMC is 60 fps, but Sony SP narratives are 30. I think even Metal Gear games are 60 fps. We;re getting there with these games.

One type of game that is consistently 30 fps on consoles are open world games like R*, Bethesda UBI. This class of game is the toughest to crack as I don't think there are any open world games at more than 30 fps on console (well, at least not the AAA ones I can think of).

ZywyPL

Banned
MS is aiming for 60FPS with their games already on XB1, Spencer keeps repeating over and over again that they want to focus on framerate and latencies with their next-gen console, I won't be even surprised if they will aim for 60FPS in SP and 120FPS in MP modes. 3rd party titles already see huge shift towards 60FPS as well, especially on Pro and X1X with performance modes, so I expect 60FPS in most if not all the titles as well. The only uncertain is Sony's games, I can see them sticking with 30FPS for the sake of better graphics, hopefully not, but you never know. So my vote goes for launch day, because once they start with 60 there's no turning back, people would rip them apart, while starting at 30 still leaves a room for improvement to 60, which people would love.

Last edited:

chriskun

Launch day, and then 95% of games after that. Why would they go for 60 fps when the overwhelming majority of people dont give a shit about it?

angelgs90

Even if 30fps is the default setting of a game, I hope all games have "performance mode", dropping down the resolution to achieve 60fps.

GymWolf

pretty soon, these console are not powerfull enough to have:

native 4k
60 frame rock solid (not that 60 frame mode only when you watch the sky\wall)
big generational jump in graphics and physics
maybe rtx

open world games are gonna be 100% at 30 frames.

maybe if amd comes out with some dlss 2.0 stuff the situation will be different, who knows.

i'm kinda ok with that because i'm a realist man and i have a pc for the remaining 95% of multy games at 60 frame.

Last edited:

GymWolf

When can we expect to see the first next gen game - period?
in a couple of years, launch games are not gonna use the ssd on ps5 at his full extent.

that's why i hope sony doens't burn excellent sequels like gow2\horizon2 for launch with old gen roots (not saying that they can't be impressive games)

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
We're slowly skewing to 60 fps. Every gen gets a bit more 60 fps games. The following are 60 fps almost all the time now

- Shooters
- Sports
- Racers
- Fighting
- Puzzle/Indie

I think those games will see the biggest graphical jumps in the upcoming generation, whereas other genres that already look great but run at 30FPS will focus on getting to 60 first and foremost, and then using all remaining resources for better visuals.

Launch day.

No one but a handful of dweebs online think 30fps is a problem, so because of that publishers and developers are always going to prioritise graphics over performance.

And 99.99% of players will continue to neither care or notice.

HE1NZ

Banned
The better question would be when we're going to see the first first-party 30 fps game. With Sony I think it's a launch day. Microsoft might keep it's promise.

GymWolf

Launch day.

No one but a handful of dweebs online think 30fps is a problem, so because of that publishers and developers are always going to prioritise graphics over performance.

And 99.99% of players will continue to neither care or notice.
source.gif

dude you are in a fucking hardcore gaming forum, it's like entering a meat delicacy forum and saying that wagyu beef is only appreciated by the few guys who can pay for it...

Last edited:

Kazza

On launch day!

I think "4k" and "ray-tracing" are more marketable features, so I'm inclined to agree. I'd be shocked if the likes of HZD2 end up targeting 60 fps (although I don't think that will be a launch day title)

Top Bottom