• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you went shopping in a physical store?

I go all the time to Walmart, Best Buy, Dick's, various clothing stores etc. I like to go because of human interaction and it gets me out of the house. Plus shopping online is a big contributor to the enormous increase in waistlines for my fellow Americans. I'd much rather walk through a store then buy online. I'll walk in the store to look at a product then I usually will order online when I'm in the store. You can't touch or try something online so that is why I like to go into various stores first. It is also exercise as you get to move around, something most of us don't do enough of and is the reason we live in the fattest country on earth. Americans are some of, if not the laziest people around as well. I'm extremely shy so going out to the stores help with that and plus I like the attention I get from all the females. I like the back and forth flirting that happens with cashiers, servers, and various female employees that help you- flirting is very healthy and needed between people even if you have a significant other.

EhoaVash

I don't know a single person who goes online grocery shopping lol

Like the fuck would I trust a company to pick the right ripe fruit I want

So yeah I have to grocery shop atleast 2 times a week

Also I do visit the local dollar store to get other small utilities ie foil paper, dish detergent, sponges etc

I go all the time to Walmart, Best Buy, Dick's, various clothing stores etc. I like to go because of human interaction and it gets me out of the house. Plus shopping online is a big contributor to the enormous increase in waistlines for my fellow Americans. I'd much rather walk through a store then buy online. I'll walk in the store to look at a product then I usually will order online when I'm in the store. You can't touch or try something online so that is why I like to go into various stores first. It is also exercise as you get to move around, something most of us don't do enough of and is the reason we live in the fattest country on earth. Americans are some of, if not the laziest people around as well. I'm extremely shy so going out to the stores help with that and plus I like the attention I get from all the females. I like the back and forth flirting that happens with cashiers, servers, and various female employees that help you- flirting is very healthy and needed between people even if you have a significant other.

Congratulations OP. We've found the first person who does all of his shopping online.

linkboy

If I can get what I need in a store here in town as opposed to buying online, I'm going to do so.

Plus, I live across the street from a Wal-Mart and have a Target around the corner.

I don't know a single person who goes online grocery shopping lol

Like the fuck would I trust a company to pick the right ripe fruit I want

My wife and I get a veggie/egg delivery from an online co-op once a week. The quality is always outstanding and we pay about the same as we would going to the store.

Grocery stores I still visit, Though the nature of my visiting has been changing.
For example I can shop online at Wal-Mart and several stores near me, and simply go pick up my gorcery order. They come right out and put it in your car, like a drive through. I do the majority of my grocery shopping this way now. Occasionally I go in for items on the fly.

Outside of Grocery stores? Almost never. Online orders for pretty much everything. 100% of Xmas shopping etc is all online.

Koren

Yesterday (toy store, chocolate store, postcards store). Visited a book store the day before. There's a lot of things I still buy in stores.

Hell, I even just bought a smartphone in store because it was far cheaper than online (Samsung A5 for 160€ after the Store and Samsung cashback)

jacobs34

I go to the grocery store once a week and places like Target maybe once every month or so. I also hit up record stores/book stores whenever I get a chance.

fakefaker

Mostly buy local(book store, groceries, work wear store) unless it's something I can't get and then I'll buy online. But I support local businesses as they pay their taxes here and hire local people. Why would I buy exclusively from a big corporate online store that doesn't help my community? Oh and the farmer's market is a great place for fresh fruits and veggies, baked goods and all other kinds of yummy stuff too.

GhaleonEB

I do relatively little shopping online, and while the trend line is up for odds and ends that I cannot find locally, I don't see the proportion shifting much.

I buy materials for home projects, school supplies, groceries, most clothing and other items in stores. Grocery stores, Costco, hardware stores, lumber and tool shops will never be replaced by online shopping for me. I'll always want to pick out my own groceries (inspect produce and packaging, for starters), try out clothing, feel the fabric, etc. before buying something to wear. (Aside from the odd t-shirt).

My wife and I also make an effort to shop locally when we have the option.

woopWOOP

Still check local stores for good deals and other fun trinkets regularly

Most online shopping for me is electronics only

BigDug13

America really is a different world.

We really are. Shopping at a store involves getting in your car (required) and enduring traffic (required) to find a parking spot at some store or mall (required) to do your shopping.

It's not like we live in places where you can walk to a corner market or store and buy things. We've been conditioned as a nation to make convenience a top priority while simultaneously being designed in the vast majority of the USA to be a burdensome pain in the ass to actually go out and do these things. Public transport? Nope. Centralized living around things we need within walking distance? Nope. Lots of traffic in a society designed around car travel? Yep.

Oh and even though we're conditioned to crave convenience, it's so funny to me that in Japan, there was a convenience store within walking distance basically everywhere I went while that is totally not true in the USA. The land of convenience lacks convenience stores more than ever.

I was at target, microcenter and trader Joe's yesterday.
Halloween crap.
SD card.
Snacks and beer.

I don't use Amazon fresh or instacart. Mom get groceries myself.

Travelling done on foot

entremet

I do get what the OP saying, though. I do hear folks sometimes saying shop online for everything here. I guess this thread proves it's vocal minority lol.

Store, not that long ago. Especially when you take grocery shopping into consideration I think most people will say within the past week. Should have thought that one through OP, unless you're a synth or some shit and don't eat.

The last time I went to a mall though, it must be at least 5 years.

CDV13

4 Hours ago on lunch break. Got some shoes. Going to get a shirt after work. Working in one of the busiest parts of town, and living in another make it very convenient.

HylianTom

Banned
Aside from my weekly grocery trip, my last brick-and-mortar shopping trip was while on vacation; my mother-in-law wanted to go to a bookstore and then to a beauty supply store.

My last major retail shopping experience was for the Switch's Launch Day in March. That night, I spent north of $500 at my local GameStop. And I likely won't set foot in that store again until my next console launch. Online and digital are just too damn convenient.

Almost every day? I'll usually stop by Target or Publix for necessities, or Walmart if neither one of those are open.

Yesterday alone I visited:

- a mall
- a book store
- a pet supply store
- a grocery store
- a candy shop

I'm gonna assume nearly everyone goes to a physical retail location at least once a week or every two weeks for groceries. No matter how committed to online retail you are, there really isn't an alternative to visiting the grocery store. Hence why Amazon purchased Whole Foods. Also sometimes it's more convenient to run down to Wal-Mart to buy an HDMI cord or batteries or a screwdriver or whatever than it is to wait 2 days for Amazon to ship it to you.

Zubz

Banned
It's been a few weeks, but that's only because of my broken ankle. When both my legs are functioning, I shop in-store at least 2 times per week. Usually closer to 3 or 4. Daily if we add in stuff like gas stations, restaurants, & tagging along w/ friends while they run errands.

America really is a different world.
Are you saying this because of the amount of "today/all the time" posts or because you think the poster's question represents everyone in the U.S.?

I go all the time. It's more rare I order online unless it's specialty figures you can't find at TRU.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday.

I went to Walgreens and bought two of these for $2.19 each.

450.jpg

Aw man I totally would have too at that price, even if I can't forsee any opportunity to use it.

Top Bottom