• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you realize Fallout 76 has been more successful than Division, Anthem and Borderlands 3

Faithless83

Banned
In short...

The most important metric aside from revenue streams is playerbase size and player retention for an online game.

Its not front loaded sales. Borderlands 3 had a nice debut, as did Anthem, as did Division 2. Fallout 76 did not.

Yet... Fallout has more players than all those games.

Bethesda pulled it off. Good work.

I enjoy the game from time to time. Wastelanders was a nice update to return for a bit... and the Brotherhood of Steel update is rumored to be wastelanders’ size for this coming winter or spring 2021.
giphy.gif

Next time you want more people to enjoy a game, try something like "Fallout 76 is surprisingly good now".
Also, don't use Xbox numbers of a game that is currently on gamepass to prove a point about it.

Neil Young

The Division 2 sold very well, maybe not what Ubisoft wanted, but well nonetheless. So 76 doing those types of numbers is great for them. Also, 76 is pretty damn fun after they added npcs.

DavidGzz

I think you can chalk it up to Fallout being an ancient series with a lot of fans and Bethesda being a huge developer with a strong fan base in general because of Elder Scrolls. I mean how long did Skyrim sell for? It probably still has big sales even if the game is pretty shit now.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
I played each and dont hate any of them but FO 76 became most played game ever this year(280 hrs). I had a lot of people to play with and the world is one of the best to explore but fck me its bad. There needs to be a level cap around 60 instead of people with no life run around at level 300 hundred is just a joke. But i guess thats what the community wants.

VertigoOA VertigoOA is right. Fallout 76 is doing fine for itself, and much better than other GaaS games.

No matter what anyone thinks about its quality, Fallout 76 is probably a success from Bethesda’s point of view. They have a healthy player base that’s paying money for the cosmetics and subscription. It might not be as popular as Fallout 4 or Skyrim, and it might have less monthly players than those two, but it’s a consistent stream of income.

It doesn’t help being salty. Just accept it and move on.

Fallout 76 means there's at least new Fallout content being made that is actually very playable while Fallout 5 is on the backburner due to Starfield and ESVI being ahead of it. It's not ideal, but Bethesda does tend to listen to their fans when it comes to their releases, as Far Harbor was considered a decent step up from the main story and Fallout 76 has been improved. In 2 years, it's very possible 76 is in a far better position than it is today. That's the beauty of post-launch support now - we can get more Rainbow Six Siege, No Man's Sky, MCC etc style comebacks/growth cycles for games. Does it excuse the poor development processes that resulted in the mess in the first place? Not really, no. But that also doesn't discredit the turnaround, either. And Fallout 76 is fun, from what little I have played of it.

I feel like that's just because Fallout 76 is fun as hell and doesn't have the serious "grind" factor that many other GAAS shlooters have. Just because the forums hated it because it wasn't the singleplayer Fallout game they wanted (despite having been clearly marked as an online game from the get-go) doesn't mean it's a bad game (and yeah it launched with a few bugs but what game doesn't?)

Also, Fallout's inherent RPG elements and the engine's great sandbox capabilities really puts it in a league above any similar games

Stuart360

Never expect F76 to beat Division

I though Division is one of the most popular looter shooter game
And Fallout isnt far behind Elder Scrolls in terms of popularity, so 76 doing better than Divcision 2 is nothing for Division 2 to be worried about, if it even has as there are no numbers in this thread, just speculation.

I bought Division 2 at launch and since then I probably hop in every couple months to check out some new stuff.

From what I've heard the community isn't big on the end game and a lot of people don't like the changes made to the dark zone. For me it's a great game because I've probably only put 100 or so hours in so it still feels fresh
The developers that initially created the game have been moved onto other projects and they've let the 'rookies' handle Division 2 ever since.

They break the game themselves only to patch it in the next update. Then next update comes and they break something else. Rinse & Repeat.

Its a never-ending cycle of two step forward, two steps back and fans became tired of it.

Just in the last 2 updates they changed something (a change that no one asked for) which annoyed many, only for them to patch it the next time.

Top Bottom