• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the arcade racers?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Dangerous Driving - burnout kinda game, (dont get the hate?)
the hate comes from it being an awful game. it looks super cheap, and generic (asset flip), the physics are broken, its full of glitches, runs awful, plays okay at best, rubber banding from hell etc. etc.
I mean I get that some are super nostalgic over Burnout, but make no mistake. it is a shallow copy of burnout, with everything that made it fun taken out. when you're nostalgic next time, get a copy of burnout 3 instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent X

Burnout Paradise Remastered and Wipeout Omega Collection are among my favorites. I've invested many, many hours into both games. I highly recommend them!

Wipeout Omega Collection is currently on sale in the PlayStation Store for $9.99 (50% off):

I'm currently playing a bunch of Dirt 5, which is free this month on PlayStation Plus. Yeah, I'd recommend this one, too!

Horizon Chase turbo:

Hotshot racing:

Wreckfest:

Horizon Chase Turbo and Wreckfest are great games. I haven't tried Hotshot Racing, but I noticed it's on sale in PlayStation Store right now for $3.99 (80% off):

Reactions: GHG

Buki1

Horizon Chase Turbo

Hotshot racing:

Wreckfest:

I got few hours in Horizon Chase after it got to repetitive and around one hour in Hotshot Racing... I kinda liked it but I don't think thats what people mean when asking for new arcade racers.

Those are mid tier mobile games. They look like they could run on your grandma android phone. When I think about arcade racers I mean something with AAA production quality. Remember the times when Sega put out new Daytona USA 2 - it blew everyones minds in the arcades, shit looked unreal. Ridge Racer on the PS, Screamer on PC, Sega Rally on Saturn or motherfucking Wipeout - those are golden age of arcade races. What they all had in common? They pushed the technical side of games to the limit, alongside fighting games. Thats what I want when I ask for more arcade racers, not some cheap ass indies done by one guy on a budget.

Wreckfest is dope though

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I can not recommend Hot Wheels Unleashed enough. I platinumed it about two weeks ago and had a lot of fun. Especially online!

But... yeah... i feel you. Not enough arcade racing games to be satisfied. Let's hope the current generation will be a bit better.
We were really fortunate last gen, op if you have an xbox series, you can download ridge racer 6, and midnight club la. I would also recommend grabbing hot pursuit remastered. Im gonna have to try hot wheels unleashed. Ive heard good things

Edit: wreck fest, forza horizon 5, and dirt 5 could fit the bill, but i think the handling is a little too realistic in those games

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I couldn't get into Hot Wheels Unleashed. As weird as it is to say, it feels stuck between a simulation game and an arcade game while satisfying the itch for neither.
Yes totally weird to say that since it is a full on arcade racer. What do you mean with "simulation"?

GHG

Gold Member
I got few hours in Horizon Chase after it got to repetitive and around one hour in Hotshot Racing... I kinda liked it but I don't think thats what people mean when asking for new arcade racers.

Those are mid tier mobile games. They look like they could run on your grandma android phone. When I think about arcade racers I mean something with AAA production quality. Remember the times when Sega put out new Daytona USA 2 - it blew everyones minds in the arcades, shit looked unreal. Ridge Racer on the PS, Screamer on PC, Sega Rally on Saturn or motherfucking Wipeout - those are golden age of arcade races. What they all had in common? They pushed the technical side of games to the limit, alongside fighting games. Thats what I want when I ask for more arcade racers, not some cheap ass indies done by one guy on a budget.

Wreckfest is dope though

They are good for what they are IMO, simple fun arcade racers.

People need to come to terms that AAA studios aren't going to make good arcade racers anymore, especially not the type of arcade racer described in this thread, it is what it is. Indies are here to fill the void as best as they can.

A few more, anyone who liked Wipeout and/or Rollcage should appreciate these:

Redout:

Ballisticng:

GRIP:

stranno

We need this baby back.

pQ89ax2.gif

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Cruis'n Blast is great!

I bet it is, really..

The game aesthetics though seem like something Ronald McDonald came up with when waking up from an edible induced fever dream where he lived a life being a executive art director living a depressed live knowing he had to inverse his natural talent for good looking aesthetics....

Pass... Guess I'm more superficial than I thought..

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Just someone get off already from the ivory tower and give us a mix of racing and story combined. A'la Street Rod/Quarantine/early NFS. Also sprinkle it with Midnight Club and Screamer. There are a truckload of realistic driving simulation games already. Basically what I'd like to see is a GTA like game with emphasis on cars and subcultures related to them from all over the world. Buying and fixing used cars, engine tuning/repair, turbo fitting, research on brake systems/engines/spoilers/nitro whatever. Racing/escape runs in crowded roads, like seen in the famous Giorgi Tevzadze videos. The list goes on.

Something that stimulates:

Last edited:
Because arcade racing games don't sell multi millions, so it's not worth it to make them anymore. I'd really love a new Road Rash, Motorstorm and Split Second, but I'm not really counting on ever seeing them being made.

For some reason I can't fathom, people these days would rather play some boring sim racer instead.

I mean I think Mario Kart would qualify as an arcade racer that sells multi-millions...

I think the reason other arcade racers arent' as successful is largely due to the lack of evolution in gameplay results in little reason to drop 50-70 dollars.

I think a game like an updated Tokyo Xtreme Racer with online multiplayer could have a degree of success, but ultimately the replay value for any arcade racer that doesn't include some serious innovation or gameplay element is just limited.

A couple of other facts are that arcades are largely dead and the play style of arcades was meant for short runs compared to modern console gaming which is meant for longer play-through at home, online, or on the go (switch).

Mario Kart is largely successful as a party/family game.

For an arcade-type racer to be successful it probably needs to be cheap, innovative, and somehow compelling.

Split/second is one my favorite racer ever , i popped a chub when it ended and said the 2nd was on the way , but to learn disney shut down the team ..i was sad
Wreckfest is semi arcade and probably my favorite racing game of this ps4/ps5 generation

bender

What time is it?
Yes totally weird to say that since it is a full on arcade racer. What do you mean with "simulation"?

I'd say the handling and sense of speed are what I'd expect from a sim, more so than an arcade title. I didn't call it a sim either, rather that it feels stuck between being an arcade title and a simulation title and it lacks a strong personality because of this. You can pick up an arcade racer and immediately have fun. I spent hours in Hot Wheels and was left cold, especially once you get over how wonderful the cars look. I wouldn't call it bad but I wouldn't call it fun either.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I'd say the handling and sense of speed are what I'd expect from a sim, more so than an arcade title. I didn't call it a sim either, rather that it feels stuck between being an arcade title and a simulation title and it lacks a strong personality because of this. You can pick up an arcade racer and immediately have fun. I spent hours in Hot Wheels and was left cold, especially once you get over how wonderful the cars look. I wouldn't call it bad but I wouldn't call it fun either.
I admit that it took me at least 10 hours to really fall in love with the game and i wasn't impressed in the beginning. But once i got to know most tracks and started to master the handling it really clicked for me. I think the handling is so far away from a driving simulator that i don't understand why you compare it to one.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I admit that it took me at least 10 hours to really fall in love with the game and i wasn't impressed in the beginning. But once i got to know most tracks and started to master the handling it really clicked for me. I think the handling is so far away from a driving simulator that i don't understand why you compare it to one.

Because the weight of the cars and weight transfer is more akin to what you'd see in a sim. Considering the developers pedigree, the assessment also isn't that far fetched.

I'd also say a 10 hour learning curve is kind of damning for an arcade title. Even if you consider some of the most difficult arcade racers, something like F-Zero GX is fun out of the gate even if it is hard as balls.

wvnative

That reminds me I need to get this baby....I barely have got into Blur though, as I am making my way through Forza Horizon 5...

I never got to blur but would love to check it out on PS3 one day. Would you mind telling me, does blur have button remapping?

Con-Z-epT

Because the weight of the cars and weight transfer is more akin to what you'd see in a sim. Considering the developers pedigree, the assessment also isn't that far fetched.
I agree to disagree. 🤷‍♂️
I'd also say a 10 hour learning curve is kind of damning for an arcade title. Even if you consider some of the most difficult arcade racers, something like F-Zero GX is fun out of the gate even if it is hard as balls.
A bit steep yes, but it's not like it wasn't enjoyable. It was ok for the single player part. I just got dominated early on in multiplayer whearas later on i was always on the podium even on tracks i didn't knew. That multiplied the fun in the end. Very competitive.

Can they just stop making this retro bullshit and actually make a decent next gen arcade game. This slipstream...they even showed off in the first 10 seconds how its hard to see where you are going.

My point is I want over-the-top, unrealistic, psychotic fun, like what Road Rash, Motorstorm and Split Second provided. On Playstation, I have Driveclub if I just want to race through pretty environments. And sure, I can still play the games I mentioned on my previous gen PS's. But I've played them to death and would like newer versions that provide the same level of fun that those games had.

At least we got a good crash 'n' bash racer in Wreckfest. The Wipeout remaster is fun, Hot wheels has crazy tracks, and there are very few others that try to be more than straight racing, but feel like they're generally half-hearted efforts. Most so-called arcade racers this gen and last gen were mostly little more than straight racers with arcadey physics. It's not the same.
Everyone always forgets about Blur. That game had so much potential as a franchise. It had some great track design; the power-ups were kind of basic (but some offered expertise while using or had hidden mechanics behind them); it had licensed cars wrecking each other; the online had some nice level progression and multiple perks that enhanced other gameplay aspect or gave totally new abilities like setting traps by discarding of power-up picks ups with the decoy perk or using turbo-sliding perk to gain multiple turbo power-ups while drifting (which eventually broke the game's balance because it had low cooldown and all high-rank races were basically people power sliding and flying throughout the whole track), and so on. There is a discord server with an active community and that's where get my arcade racing fix I still miss Road Rash and MotorStorm.

Still, I think Blur was ahead of its time and launched in a pretty bad year for a new franchise (well, at least the studio intended to be one until Activision decided to shut them down), it was running against Split-Second, Gran Turismo 5, F1 2010, Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, ModNation Racers, Need For Speed: World and many more. It was one of the most stacked years for racing games of all types, both arcade and simulation.

It was such a great game, and I have many fond memories of it. I played with a group of friends and we were all around the top 200 in both Xbox and Playstation. Can't recommend it enough to anyone who wants to give it a try.

MotorStorm Apocalypse had a nice system but I think it was the weakest track-wise. I still prefer the second game over Apocalypse. It's just a shame they not reviving the franchise when we have much better graphics to depict places like deserts with dynamic sandstorms or thick jungles and swamp areas where you can basically go anywhere as long as you can arrive at the next checkpoint.

Yeah, I know. We have Forza Horizon 5 and I love it but I'd love to see MotorStorm's take on off-road racing on the new-gen hardware.

RAIDEN1

MotorStorm Apocalypse had a nice system but I think it was the weakest track-wise. I still prefer the second game over Apocalypse. It's just a shame they not reviving the franchise when we have much better graphics to depict places like deserts with dynamic sandstorms or thick jungles and swamp areas where you can basically go anywhere as long as you can arrive at the next checkpoint.

Yeah, I know. We have Forza Horizon 5 and I love it but I'd love to see MotorStorm's take on off-road racing on the new-gen hardware.
It will be interesting to see if it makes an appearance in June when Sony's revamped PSN service is launched.....thats why as of now Horizon 5 is about as good a match as you can get for Motorstorm on today's console, and why if you are a fan of the Motorstorm series keep your PS3 close by... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Top Bottom