• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the arcade racers?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Where are the arcades?
this is factual. if you're tired of this overambitious sim stuff (although frankly i love them as much as any arcade racer) and want arcade fun back, you guys gotta bring back the place that was the start of all this gameplay to begin with. then again, it's kind of hard to when so many people don't live near an arcade like i do.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I got few hours in Horizon Chase after it got to repetitive and around one hour in Hotshot Racing... I kinda liked it but I don't think thats what people mean when asking for new arcade racers.

Those are mid tier mobile games. They look like they could run on your grandma android phone. When I think about arcade racers I mean something with AAA production quality. Remember the times when Sega put out new Daytona USA 2 - it blew everyones minds in the arcades, shit looked unreal. Ridge Racer on the PS, Screamer on PC, Sega Rally on Saturn or motherfucking Wipeout - those are golden age of arcade races. What they all had in common? They pushed the technical side of games to the limit, alongside fighting games. Thats what I want when I ask for more arcade racers, not some cheap ass indies done by one guy on a budget.

Wreckfest is dope though
if you want that shit back, bring back arcades. get sega to get back to making groundbreaking arcade hardware like they used to

Shmunter

We need a chase hq sequel. There was a game very much like it on ps1 which I forget name off, it was magnificent.

Esca

Try out Hot Wheels Unleashed, it's currently on sale on the psn for couple of more days at 50%off. It is a great arcade racer. Blasting through tracks drifting or boosting must the time dodging obstacles. Lots of content and tons of vehicles to get and you can upgrade them to.
I play the game nearly daily for at least a handful of races. There also a track builder to go along with the time of tracks already available and a liverly editor too

Guilty_AI

Dangerous Driving

Opinions on this game don't seem very good tho.

From what i read it suffers from retro-nostalgia syndrome where it tries too hard to imitate the old games without really improving on the formula, and still coming out worse in some aspects (like the flat-looking tracks). I think one would be better off playing the original Burnouts if they can.

Last edited:
Opinions on this game don't seem very good tho.

From what i read it suffers from retro-nostalgia syndrome where it tries too hard to imitate the old games without really improving on the formula, and still coming out worse in some aspects (like the flat-looking tracks). I think one would be better off playing the original Burnouts if they can.

it’s a very very light Burnout and racing experience, not very comparable outside of sharing some similarities to Revenge/Takedown but my objective wasn’t to offer an opinion on the game but just to answer the posters question about which game was being discussed

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

it’s a very very light Burnout and racing experience, not very comparable outside of sharing some similarities to Revenge/Takedown but my objective wasn’t to offer an opinion on the game but just to answer the posters question about which game was being discussed
oh, right, saw it now it was someone else recommending it
pjxuuNqW9acoN5ck2ZubOjuogHC6nhc4R9M0-cbtnfg.jpg

RAIDEN1

It was only a week or so ago I brought the original Burnout 3, even though I have had Revenge for ages and it is good, apparently part 3 is the pinnacle of the series..

We will sadly never get these types of games again :(
Forza horizon isn't it. That's like the crew, always online microtransaction lootbox heavy forced races. (don't know if horizon 5 is still like that, but probably).

We need a new Burnout.

I want to get wreckfast but the fact that there is ZERO local co-op is a big turnoff. I remember playing destruction derby games on PS1 playing local co-op.

Here is what I personally would want from Arcade style racers:

Burnout - legends, revenge, paradise style, don't care, just inject it into my veins...please!!!!
Motorstorm - like pacific rim. Shit just remake that game or port it.
Twisted Metal - like the originals or black. Add on story mode and local co-op.
Road Rash - come on its been decades. Road Redemption tried but it wasn't enough.
Test drive unlimited 3 - loved these games, open world racers without the lootbox mechanics (because there was no lootboxes in the 2000s)

Stunts - real cars on stunt tracks, with editor.. Played this with friends after school and after token a j. We would get lit , create crazy tracks and have each other try to play. Great times (I don't endorse doing that but, don't do it myself anymore, It was a fun game regardless. Its very old but here it is :

Did anyone play this game?

Last edited:

Brigandier

I must say it in every thread like this but a Ridge Racer 4k 120fps with all cars, tracks and music from RR to RR7 would be my dream come true.... There's still a market for classic Ridge Racer surely?.

It doesn't need to be super big budget ground breaking graphics with ray tracing just nice to look at and smooth as butter.

A lot of RR fans would be more than content with RR7 like visuals in 4k 120fps.

Anyone else in the same boat or am I an out of touch old relic of the past 🙄

Guilty_AI

Gonna try showing you some stuff

There's no "story mode" but theres a campaign. It has Split-screen but it seems that has some issues and its not ideal.

Test drive unlimited 3 - loved these games, open world racers without the lootbox mechanics (because there was no lootboxes in the 2000s)
Yeah, this one is rough, i feel it too. Lets hope the new announced TD or that CarX Street i showed earlier give us some good results.

Stunts - real cars on stunt tracks, with editor.. Played this with friends after school and after token a j. We would get lit , create crazy tracks and have each other try to play. Great times (I don't endorse doing that but, don't do it myself anymore, It was a fun game regardless. Its very old but here it is :
No real cars, but excellent stunt tracks with editor, also split-screen and LAN.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

We will sadly never get these types of games again :(
Forza horizon isn't it. That's like the crew, always online microtransaction lootbox heavy forced races. (don't know if horizon 5 is still like that, but probably).

We need a new Burnout.

I want to get wreckfast but the fact that there is ZERO local co-op is a big turnoff. I remember playing destruction derby games on PS1 playing local co-op.

Here is what I personally would want from Arcade style racers:

Burnout - legends, revenge, paradise style, don't care, just inject it into my veins...please!!!!
Motorstorm - like pacific rim. Shit just remake that game or port it.
Road Rash - come on its been decades. Road Redemption tried but it wasn't enough.

Did anyone play this game?

I played that game a lot. Fun.

I got few hours in Horizon Chase after it got to repetitive and around one hour in Hotshot Racing... I kinda liked it but I don't think thats what people mean when asking for new arcade racers.

Those are mid tier mobile games. They look like they could run on your grandma android phone. When I think about arcade racers I mean something with AAA production quality. Remember the times when Sega put out new Daytona USA 2 - it blew everyones minds in the arcades, shit looked unreal. Ridge Racer on the PS, Screamer on PC, Sega Rally on Saturn or motherfucking Wipeout - those are golden age of arcade races. What they all had in common? They pushed the technical side of games to the limit, alongside fighting games. Thats what I want when I ask for more arcade racers, not some cheap ass indies done by one guy on a budget.

Wreckfest is dope though
Can they just stop making this retro bullshit and actually make a decent next gen arcade game. This slipstream...they even showed off in the first 10 seconds how its hard to see where you are going.
So, just to be clear here, you both want a Triple A budget arcade racing game in this current gen? Well, let's examine the evidence as to why that won't happen.

MFlqMklr3rhmSPyqEMrAVRBjFmANx5P6.png

ykIQlltHFKZWEsFKHjP7zTZl.jpg

If you want to know why the genre is almost fully an indie and mobile genre now(aside from Forza Horizon and maybe a random Codemasters game every few years), look no further than the failure of these two recent AAA racing games. The good news is that at least the genre isn't on life support like the arcade sports, arcade shooters, and extreme sports genres.

Nydius

If you want to know why the genre is almost fully an indie and mobile genre now(aside from Forza Horizon and maybe a random Codemasters game every few years), look no further than the failure of these two recent AAA racing games.

Although they're a bit older, I'd throw Bizarre Creations' blur on that list as well. Maybe also Sumo Digital's Split/Second: Velocity, though I don't think that was ever truly a triple-A title. Both blur and Split/Second came out around the same time, neither did particularly well, and after that arcade racers just weren't funded by triple-A publishers.

Last edited:

sadmaker

I'm not one to ask for remasters, but let's get NFS most wanted 2005. Maybe the best in the franchise, and the HD version (Xbox 360) isnt available in the MS digital store, hard to find unless you wanna overpay for a used copy on ebay.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm not one to ask for remasters, but let's get NFS most wanted 2005. Maybe the best in the franchise, and the HD version (Xbox 360) isnt available in the MS digital store, hard to find unless you wanna overpay for a used copy on ebay.
Old racing games like that are complicated to remaster or keep selling officially for a long, due to all the car and music licenses.

Last edited:

Agent X

Old racing games like that are complicated to remaster or keep selling officially for a long, due to all the car and music licenses.

This is why it would be great to see revivals of games like Burnout and MotorStorm. Those games did well with fictitious vehicles (although they did have licensed music). The fact that they used fictitious vehicles also gave the games' designers certain liberties that might not have been available to them if they had to use licensed vehicles.

For what it's worth, Electronic Arts produced a remastered version of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit about 2 years ago.

Guilty_AI

This is why it would be great to see revivals of games like Burnout and MotorStorm. Those games did well with fictitious vehicles (although they did have licensed music). The fact that they used fictitious vehicles also gave the games' designers certain liberties that might not have been available to them if they had to use licensed vehicles.

For what it's worth, Electronic Arts produced a remastered version of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit about 2 years ago.
This and Most Wanted 2012 are still sold in digital stores. Some old racers like GT Legends (and other SinBin games) are still up too despite having licensed vehicles. My guess is that those games did something really when the licenses were being negotiated.

sachos

I miss PS2 era arcade racers, i think it was the golden age. So much variety in styles of racing games, plus most of them had split screen support, i hate how most new racing games do not support that feature. The most fun is racing with someone besides you. I also am not particularly fond of the open world racing design style, i much prefer carefully crafted closed track racing, i wish Need for Speed would go back to the NFS3 or NFSHP2 style, i think it allows for so much variety within the game.
The most recent closed track arcade racer with real cars and splitscreen support i remember is Dirt 5, it was pretty cool just for that. Its sad they removed the split screen from their other arcade racer series, GRID.
Oh, and there is also Gear.Club Unlimited 2 - Ultimate Edition it seems you may like that one OP.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Making progress in Horizon Chase (ps4). It’s addictive, but lack of drift and the basic environments are a shame.

Hoppa

True! Horizon scratched that itch for me so would definitely recommend it, not as arcadey as Burnout, Driver maybe closer to Ridge Racer but not as cartoonish

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They came out and you didn’t buy them.
The right answer.

Games are just like movies. Fun and fictional at heart, but skewed more and more to realism and grittiness.

Sports, racers, shooters, lots of SP narratives all edged to the realism spectrum. That's not to say popular games like Fortnite, Apex or Mario Kart are, but it sure seems anything related to below are either gone, on a lifeline, or relegated to indie. Whereas decades ago you had a good mix of EA Sports, PC sims and NFL Blitz.

Basically dead
- Arcadey sports like NBA Jam
- Arcadey racers like Ridge Racer or Daytona
- Crazy sci-fi shooters like Quake or Unreal

Top Bottom