• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where did Shadow Hearts come from?

Eric-GCA

Banned
All of a sudden in the past few months, I've been hearing about the game Shadow Hearts 2, yet I don't even remember the first one. So I went back and checked out some reviews and found that the first game apparently was a dud:

IGN - 5.5
Gamespot - 7.9
EGM - 6.67

So, is it possible if someone could give me a very brief explanation as to what kind of game Shadow Hearts is and why did it get mediocre reviews? And why is the second game highly anticipated?

hobbitx

...........and also, who is that redhead hottie? I saw her in EGM ad, gotta say, that was some damn fine marketing! :D

Alex

It's like Pikmin vs Pikmin 2 if the original got the score it deserved. :p

It's a polished up, story laden traditional RPG. Stuff the media outlets take to very well. It sounds quite uber, but hits a little too close to Nocturne for me. Bummer. Sparse pickings all year, then in one goddamn month, EVERYTHING comes out. September 2004 = best month ever?

demi

A dud? LOL

I really enjoyed the first one, and never knew about it myself, until a guy on IRC told me to buy it.

Why is it an anticipated game? Well, fans of the original had several problems with the game, most which are fairly evident. Shadow Hearts 2 fixes all these, while adding even more to the awesome atmosphere of World War I.

Mareg

The first one had a poor piss poor traduction. It was also very japanese weird. In a word, not to accessible.
As for me, Shadow Hearts hold a very high place in my heart. I dig everything weird or japanese. Shin Megami, here I come !

They're both RPGs. I liked the first one reasonably well, although I'd agree that it wasn't an outstanding title. But the second one has been improved greatly, according to pretty much everyone who's played it, and all the positive impressions lead to a fair degree of aniticipation.

Also, Shadow Hearts 1 was released pretty early in the PS2 lifespan, so it probably isn't as well-known because it was selling to a much smaller user-base.

Both games are actually follow-ups to the PSone RPG Koudelka.

All of them are developed by Sacnoth, which also did Faselei (for the NGPC) and ... I think something else that I can't recall.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
So many people hated on the Judgement wheel in the first game but I friggin loved it... couple that with a story that took place in (for me) and unexpected setting, mix in a kickass music soundtrack that is just so DIFFERENT (imo) and I certainly enjoyed the ride.

DarienA said:
So many people hated on the Judgement wheel in the first game but I friggin loved it... couple that with a story that took place in (for me) and unexpected setting, mix in a kickass music soundtrack that is just so DIFFERENT (imo) and I certainly enjoyed the ride.

Agreed. The game also took alot of bashing because it looked very old even when it was released. Seemed like they might have been making it for the PSone at first and then switched it to the PS2. This game looks much better, especially the animation.

Ar_

Shadow Hearts was barebones, not for everyone, but charming in its own way. You can see its got a place in some hearts, included mine :)

Got poor scores due.... I guess the lack of mainstream appeal.
Outdated graphics, no cute boys, scarcety of cute and lightly dressed girls, no big name behind it.... how much can a RPG like that score?

Edit: in fact notice how Gamespot, which in my experience tends to give a deeper look to games, scored it nicely; while IGN, usually rating games more in accordance with their mainstream appeal, bashed it. /edit

Gameplay was limited as any final fantasy clone: linear, random battles, classic battle engine, few characters skills and customization.
A definite plus, one of the lowest random encounter rates.
The battle system required you to time a combination of 3 button presses for the best results, and to a certain extent allowed to take risks with more challenging combinations for higher damage; I liked it, but quite some people apparently didn't.

Best part of the game was the atmosphere, thanks to an original setting, good music, quite interesting characters.
It didn't take itself very seriously, which increased its charm and helped to laught off some silly mishaps; otherwise was almost sober.
Again some bareness shows, with small size areas and limited number of side quests.

Overall I really liked it. Not for who requires good graphics, anime lolita fanservice, or a Happy Happy Lucky Lucky setting.
Free when preordering the sequel, is a great chance to try it.

Mumbles

Honestly, Shadow Hearts 2 was one of the most underrated RPGs of the generation (jade Cocoon as he other). I wouldn't cal it brilliant, but it was fun, had decent gameplay, and a reasonably good storyline.

Mumbles

Honestly, Shadow Hearts 2 was one of the most underrated RPGs of the generation (jade Cocoon as he other). I wouldn't cal it brilliant, but it was fun, had decent gameplay, and a reasonably good storyline.

All of them are developed by Sacnoth, which also did Faselei (for the NGPC) and ... I think something else that I can't recall.

Dive Alert for NGPC. Sacnoth was founded by Hiroki Kikuta, the music composer for Secret of Mana and a few other Square games, but he quit the company after Koudelka.

AssMan

Banned
I'm in dilemma. I HATE Final Fantasy X. I just bought the game a few days ago. The annoying cut scenes every 5 minutes, and the ulgy art is killing me. I'm only at Luca right now, but I really want to get Shadow Hearts 2. Seems to be getting great reviews and the battle system and bizarre world is interesting. Should I just go and get store credit for FFX and put it towards SH2?

jiggle

I think SH2 is actually made by Nautilus, with former employees of Sacnoth. I bet the new ppl have alot to do with all the big improvements, and some drastic changes...

Top Bottom