• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does Steam fit into all of this?

I’ll wait for wireless. I hope PSVR 2 could be wireless and I have my hope for Sony r games - I have a feeling they still believe in it.
Personally it's better to get wired on a pulley, than wireless. If you care for fidelity and frame rate. Especially latency, the thing that causes motion sickness, as well as lower framerate. Just not worth it IMO.

Microsoft's store is on PC too though. PC doesn't have to mean Steam.

Listen, I don't want there to a streaming or subscribing only future. I am just wondering what happens when it does.

By this logic, why would Microsoft ever want to let you subscribe for games via Gamepass when they could just sell them? Gamepass wouldn't even exist if Microsoft selling a boatload of games on Steam was their future.

Pretty much. I would say fun times ahead but one of the two futures I don't want lol
Because there are people like me who purchase games on steam, but love what gamepass has to offer. I double dip. Why seclude yourself to one outlet of profit, when you can have multiple? It's not like it's a choice to either use steam or gamepass, as they have different philosophies.

This is like the first inning. They just bought Bethesda on Monday. This isn't about today, it is about three years from now.

It would be stupid though. You buy an MS game on Steam and MS gets a check. You take them off Steam and millions of PC gamers riot and boycott your service and start mudslinging. MS has been on PC from the beginning, they know the game.

Because there are people like me who purchase games on steam, but love what gamepass has to offer. I double dip. Why seclude yourself to one outlet of profit, when you can have multiple? It's not like it's a choice to either use steam or gamepass, as they have different philosophies.
I get that but... there is a reason Netflix originals aren't released on DVD same day.

I get that but... there is a reason Netflix originals aren't released on DVD same day.
With Microsoft putting all of its games on every device except sony, it becomes a clear picture they are going to blueball Sony from all their big titles. They could still have gamepass on PC, without selling their games on steam, but that's not the reality. Especially as all of these games are best on steam, with the ability to mod, and do whatever the hell you want to. It's not the same as Netflix in the least bit.

Last edited:
With Microsoft putting all of its games on every device except sony, it becomes a clear picture they are going to blueball Sony from all their big titles. They could still have gamepass on PC, without selling their games on steam, but that's not the reality. Especially as all of these games are best on steam, with the ability to mod, and do whatever the hell you want to. It's not the same as Netflix in the least bit.
Does Microsoft really care about the best way to play the games? They (and Amazon and Google) are trying to push streaming on you where you can't even play the games without being online or even change something as minor as the display settings, let alone use mods.

I want to be wrong, believe me.

Does Microsoft really care about the best way to play the games? They (and Amazon and Google) are trying to push streaming on you where you can't even play the games without being online or even change something as minor as the display settings, let alone use mods.

I want to be wrong, believe me.
PC gamers don't just accept whatever is trending. There's a reason most PC gamers don't pay $60 for a new game, since you can get it day 1 @$45 bucks instead. They aren't going to be ok with streaming a game, on RTX 30XX cards, when they can get better performance with an installed copy. I could stream the same game from a $100 chromebook. PC gamers like control, and if you take that away from us, it's an automatic "do not purchase/DOA"

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve has had their collective heads up their collective asses for at least the last 5 years. Everybody suddenly switching to streaming platforms isn't exactly going to suddenly light a fire under their asses.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The vast majority of them don't. It's easy to get that impression in places like this, though. I mean, this is a largely console-focused gaming board, so any PC gamer who shows up here is likely to have at least some interest in console titles.
All the mainstream media sites have people port begging though?

Hudo

Preferably in the garbage bin with all the other account-based DRM gatekeeping software. I wanna buy my games and then the storefront should just fuck off. I don't want to touch any storefront/gatekeeping software when I want to play a game.

Arkam

For me personally Steam = PC gaming. Its the only launcher I allow on my PC for games. If its not on there, rarely do need it.

Actually I see Sony as more likely to go this route

If they are serious about expanding to PC gaming then having a store front business would make a lot of sense. And they've already been investing in Epic
I believe Epic would not sell to Sony, as they have similar practices to Apple, and Epic doesn't wanna be like Apple.

PC gamers don't just accept whatever is trending. There's a reason most PC gamers don't pay $60 for a new game, since you can get it day 1 @$45 bucks instead. They aren't going to be ok with streaming a game, on RTX 30XX cards, when they can get better performance with an installed copy. I could stream the same game from a $100 chromebook. PC gamers like control, and if you take that away from us, it's an automatic "do not purchase/DOA"
I've heard this before and yet the Epic store has over 100 million accounts. People don't always do what you expect them to.
Actually I see Sony as more likely to go this route

If they are serious about expanding to PC gaming then having a store front business would make a lot of sense. And they've already been investing in Epic
I've been thinking about this for a while - who is behind the glass Sony breaks when shit looks doomed. Originally my thoughts were possibly Steam, but more and more I think Epic might make more sense. Though, as pointed out above, given the recent Epic/Apple spat this looks less likely.

Im not sure what you mean? Epic doesn't have some virtuous moral position on game distribution, they just want more money
And Sony owning them wouldn't mean more money for them. As Sony likes inclusion, which directly means epic losing player base and sales. And it wouldn't be good for the industry. Epic is better off doing their own thing, but if they were to be purchased, I'd much rather Microsoft do it than Sony. Better for gamers across the board.

Reddit, Twitter, Gamefaqs, IGN, 4chin.

You know mainstream.
I'll give you Twitter and maybe Reddit, but those other 3? I really doubt most people have ever been to those sites or even heard of them. And on top of that, they're all mostly console focused, too.

The vast majority of PC gamers exclusively play one or two games that are only available on PC, usually some MMO or F2P titles like CSGO, League or Dota. They don't visit general gaming boards or sites, they don't read or respond to tweets that aren't related to the games they play, they don't follow industry news, and they don't keep track of what games are on console and whether or not they are getting ports. For every PC gamer who actively port begs, there are hundreds of people like that who just don't care.

Yoboman

And Sony owning them wouldn't mean more money for them. As Sony likes inclusion, which directly means epic losing player base and sales. And it wouldn't be good for the industry. Epic is better off doing their own thing, but if they were to be purchased, I'd much rather Microsoft do it than Sony. Better for gamers across the board.
Im not sure what you mean by inclusion?

If Sony bought Epic, I expect they would let them run as is. The value of Epic is multiplatform engines (and film and tv) and a PC store front that Sony could use to deliver their own PC content

If Sony were interested its not to get Epic games content exclusively, its to get their services

Im not sure what you mean by inclusion?

If Sony bought Epic, I expect they would let them run as is. The value of Epic is multiplatform engines (and film and tv) and a PC store front that Sony could use to deliver their own PC content

If Sony were interested its not to get Epic games content exclusively, its to get their services
Microsoft seems to be more open to multiple platforms than Sony. Epic and Microsoft share that same mentality. Sony acquiring Epic doesn't seem beneficial to everyone, at least with Sony's history. I would rather them have a contract, than a buyout. Sony can sell on Epic or steam currently, so unless they are doing day and date delivery to PC, it would be a horrible purchase for everyone across the board.

CitizenX

Banned
if you follow the crumb trails from about 2 yrs ago Gamepass will be on Steam. MS has been building these relationships (bethesda mods on Xbox hello) for a while and I see somthing similiar with Steam. Though IDT Gabe gives 2 craps about it all. Remember that POS from Epic saying you should be able to play games anywhere BUUUTTTT you should only have to take a single digit cut. Epic still only sucker who played that card.

Yoboman

Microsoft seems to be more open to multiple platforms than Sony. Epic and Microsoft share that same mentality. Sony acquiring Epic doesn't seem beneficial to everyone, at least with Sony's history. I would rather them have a contract, than a buyout. Sony can sell on Epic or steam currently, so unless they are doing day and date delivery to PC, it would be a horrible purchase for everyone across the board.
Epic the company currently buying up exclusive deals across the PC market has the mentality of multiple platforms?

Sony is currently dipping their toes in multiplatform development, especially with PC releases and MLB is about to go multiplatform. If they had a PC storefront like EGS you would suddenly be getting all their games on PC day and date. I dont see how that's a bad thing

Epic the company currently buying up exclusive deals across the PC market has the mentality of multiple platforms?

Sony is currently dipping their toes in multiplatform development, especially with PC releases and MLB is about to go multiplatform. If they had a PC storefront like EGS you would suddenly be getting all their games on PC day and date. I dont see how that's a bad thing
Sony doesn't like to confirm day and date things with PC, as you've seen in the past. Even hinting at more games are coming to PC have caused a shit storm of users flocking to building pc's. We both know Sony doesn't want to piss off their fanbase.

Epic has games you can play on all consoles, pc's and phones. Name one from Sony.

Regardless I would rather Sony and Epic make a marketing deal, than an acquisition. I would hate to see Sony destroy a company like that. (Even though I'm fucking pissed with Epic for destroying Paragon, for a shitty game like fortnite).

Yoboman

Sony doesn't like to confirm day and date things with PC, as you've seen in the past. Even hinting at more games are coming to PC have caused a shit storm of users flocking to building pc's. We both know Sony doesn't want to piss off their fanbase.

Epic has games you can play on all consoles, pc's and phones. Name one from Sony.

Regardless I would rather Sony and Epic make a marketing deal, than an acquisition. I would hate to see Sony destroy a company like that. (Even though I'm fucking pissed with Epic for destroying Paragon, for a shitty game like fortnite).
You're missing the point. If Sony buys Epic that is a signal they are investing into PC in a big way. They aren't going to do that unless they have some sort of service people can buy into. Same as MS wasnt really investing in PC until they had Gamepass subs to sell

Epic is also the owner of Unreal Engine. There is no pulling them away from that cash cow. I expect they would run semi autonomously with a PC / Multiplatform focus like Sony Online Entertainment used to

Soodanim

Gold Member
I like buying, having, installing, and configuring games on PC. That's going nowhere. Streaming may be a supplement, but that's all it will be.

As for Steam? It's my base of operations. GOG exists too, but that's it.

Last edited:
You're missing the point. If Sony buys Epic that is a signal they are investing into PC in a big way. They aren't going to do that unless they have some sort of service people can buy into. Same as MS wasnt really investing in PC until they had Gamepass subs to sell

Epic is also the owner of Unreal Engine. There is no pulling them away from that cash cow. I expect they would run semi autonomously with a PC / Multiplatform focus like Sony Online Entertainment used to
Why couldn't Sony just strike up a deal with them, and accomplish the same thing? If they aren't going for exclusivity and owning unreal engine, why BUY Epic? I would hate for free games to go away each week, and would hate any exclusivity Sony would try and leverage with It.

Look at what's going on with Sony right now. $70 games, no upgrades for prexisting games to next gen games, and plenty of other b.s. They won't even confirm each game they are putting on PC, or what date said game will arrive. Microsoft is killing them in that department, which is why it would be a better deal for MS to acquire Epic vs Sony. Or just leave Epic be.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Why couldn't Sony just strike up a deal with them, and accomplish the same thing? If they aren't going for exclusivity and owning unreal engine, why BUY Epic? I would hate for free games to go away each week, and would hate any exclusivity Sony would try and leverage with It.

Look at what's going on with Sony right now. $70 games, no upgrades for prexisting games to next gen games, and plenty of other b.s. They won't even confirm each game they are putting on PC, or what date said game will arrive. Microsoft is killing them in that department, which is why it would be a better deal for MS to acquire Epic vs Sony. Or just leave Epic be.
It wouldn't accomplish the same thing. All Sony achieves with PC releases right now is unit sales. But they are a platform holder first and foremost, they create games to bring people to their platforms.

If they want to get serious about PC, then they need a platform of their own to achieve it. Otherwise why would they release on PC except on occasion? A deal is not the same in the slightest

Last edited:
It wouldn't accomplish the same thing. All Sony achieves with PC releases right now is unit sales. But they are a platform holder first and foremost, they create games to bring people to their platforms.

If they want to get serious about PC, then they need a platform of their own to achieve it. Otherwise why would they release on PC except on occasion? A deal is not the same in the slightest
They can open up their own store, and create their own rules from the jump, instead of alienating prexisting ones. No one in their right mind believes that Sony would be giving players 2-3 free games, PER WEEK, when they are charging the full price of a game, for a DLC.

We probably won't see eye to eye on this which is fine, especially as we can discuss this in a respectful manner, which I appreciate. But as a PC gamer primarily, I just don't see Epic being under Sony influence, as a good move in the gaming industry. It would have to many negative implications for it's core user base.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'll give you Twitter and maybe Reddit, but those other 3? I really doubt most people have ever been to those sites or even heard of them. And on top of that, they're all mostly console focused, too.

The vast majority of PC gamers exclusively play one or two games that are only available on PC, usually some MMO or F2P titles like CSGO, League or Dota. They don't visit general gaming boards or sites, they don't read or respond to tweets that aren't related to the games they play, they don't follow industry news, and they don't keep track of what games are on console and whether or not they are getting ports. For every PC gamer who actively port begs, there are hundreds of people like that who just don't care.

Are you saying the vast majority of PC gamers are casual?

I think you underestimate how little a lot of people on PC care about things outside of Steam.

... They care about the ports being on Steam. Way to not read the OP to try and drop a one liner.

Make up your mind. Do people on PC care about things outside Steam?

Yes, console ports.

I find it interesting that given all of the discussion that has been going on for the past week, I don't think I have seen Steam brought up even once. Which is surprising, because I think they are in for a very rude awakening in the next few years.

Let us assume that 1) streaming/subscribing/renting is the way the industry is going, and 2) that the key differentiation will be which service has exclusive developers/games on it. I think both of these are fairly basic assumptions given what has occurred this week.

What the hell does Steam do? Steam exists to sell games other companies have made. Their own game catalog consists of like 4 franchises, and the biggest ones like Counter-Strike are free-to-play, meaning that they have no benefit to a paid streaming service. So what do they do? Does Valve start buying up developers? Not only are they not suited for the upcoming streaming landscape in terms of potential exclusive games, but the more other streaming companies buy developers, the less games that Steam will even have to sell. How many copies do you think Skyrim sold on Steam?

And yes, I know that right now there are Microsoft games on Steam. But Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda for $7.5 billion to give Steam a cut of future sales forever. And besides, the current happy path from Microsoft's perspective (Gamepass) means Steam won't get a sale anyway.
The OP was talking about how Steam is in trouble for not having their own games.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If games like Dota and CSGO are for casuals, then what games aren't?
Casuals to me are people that only play a game or two rather than a more diverse library. If a person only plays one MMO and a eSports game then yeah I consider them casuals.

Casuals to me are people that only play a game or two rather than a more diverse library. If a person only plays one MMO and a eSports game then yeah I consider them casuals.
Casuals are people who casually play video games. Using your definition, speedrunners and professional gamers would be casuals.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Casuals are people who casually play video games. Using your definition, speedrunners and professional gamers would be casuals.
Speedrunners play other games though. Not just one or two. The latter seems more like the madden bros to me. But that's just like my opinion man.

Fbh

Even with Streaming and Subscription services I think there's still going to be a relevant market, specially on PC, for people that actually want to own games. And Steam is still the go-to place for a vast majority of those people.

Also, looking at other markets like movies, unless there's a big shift in game budgets and scope I don't think the day one $60 (or $70, or whatever) experience is going anywhere. With current budgets and times, spending $80+ million and 3,4 or 5 years on a big AAA project to release it on a $10 subscription is unsustainable on a large scale, same reason why Avengers Endgame or even Mulan don't release day 1 on Disney + and why the average blockbuster doesn't go straight to streaming but rather starts at theaters, then comes out on Demand and Physical several months later and only then starts showing up on Streaming services.

I think that's the way it will eventually go. Big release for $60-70 and then several months later it comes to streaming and subscription services. In such a scenario I think Steam is still going to be big.
If we somehow get to the point where every big AAA game releases day 1 on a $10 subscription service I guess that's cool for us and bad for Steam. I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Speedrunners play other games though. Not just one or two. The latter seems more like the madden bros to me. But that's just like my opinion man.
I bet you think someone a pack a day habit is a casual smoker too, as long as they stick to the same brand :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're free to come up with your own definitions, of course. Just don't be surprised if nobody shares them.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You're free to come up with your own definitions, of course. Just don't be surprised if nobody shares them.
What's a better term for people that only literally play only 2 games then? I already call em Madden bros.

What's a better term for people that only literally play only 2 games then? I already call em Madden bros.
I'm not sure if there needs to be one. I mean, we don't have words for people who only play one or two sports, right? Someone who only plays tennis is just a tennis player.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if there needs to be one. I mean, we don't have words for people who only play one or two sports, right? Someone who only plays tennis is just a tennis player.
Gaming isn't a sport though. It is a hobby. But you may be right. I'll still call em madden bros.

Compsiox

Banned
Valve has had their collective heads up their collective asses for at least the last 5 years. Everybody suddenly switching to streaming platforms isn't exactly going to suddenly light a fire under their asses.
They had like a proto-twitch platform steam.tv or whatever. Seems like for now it's just being used to stream gameplay on store pages. Perhaps that will change one day and it will become a full service.

As for Valve doing their own cloud gaming service, that's not what their target audience wants. PC players want to be in control of their experience.

Top Bottom