• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where in the world is Yasumi Matsuno?

Fady K

I havent heard about Matsuno or quiiiiiiiite some time - aside the fact that he left FFXII's development at the end as well as him appearing in some Wii montage video. Anyone know what he's been up to? What games hes working on? Anything at all? And is that Wii game of his official?

Fady K

Doom_Bringer said:
He was spotted at a nintendo wii press conference a while ago. He doesn't work for Square Enix anymore though :(

I know! There goes my hopes for Vagrant Story 2. I wonder if he was interviewed AT ALL for the last freakin year about whats been happening with him.

I cant find ANYTHING official on the guy.

No famitsu or dorigama interviews at all as of late?

Speevy

Banned
Well he sneaks around the world from Kiev to Carolina,
He's sticky-fingered filcher from Berlin down to Belize,
He'll take you for a ride on a slow boat to China,
Tell me where in the world is Yasumi Matsuno?

Steal their Seoul in South Korea, make Antarctica cry Uncle,
From the Red Sea to Greenland they'll be singing the blues,
Well they never Arkansas her steal the Mekong from the jungle,
Tell me where in the world is Carmen Yasumi Matsuno?

He go from Nashville to Norway, Bonaire to Zimbabwe,
Chicago to Czechoslovakia and back!

Well he'll ransack Pakistan and run a scam in Scandinavia,
Then he'll stick 'em up Down Under and go pick-pocket Perth,
He put the Miss in misdemeanor when he stole the beans from Lima,
Oh tell me where in the world is... Oh tell me where can he be?

Ooh, Botswana to Thailand, Milan via Amsterdam,
Mali to Bali, Ohio, Oahu...!

Well he glides around the globe and he'll flimflam every nation,
He's a double-dealing diva with a taste for thievery,
His itinerary's loaded up with moving violations,

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Speevy said:

Bastard you beat me to it! :lol

"He's a double-dealing diva?"

Fady K

Speevy said:

Aha, noticed an error :p

Fady K

White Man said:
He went crazy while working at Square and now he makes mascot strategy RPGs for Nintendo.

I did hear something about a mental breakdown - is that true at all?? What are the sources??

And THATS what hes working on now??? Say it aint true :(

ethelred

Fady, this thread isn't going to make Ducky like you more.

Surreal said:
Matsuno, I want another FF Tactics, please, do it for the children!

For the children? So what you really want is FFTA2?

Fady K

ethelred said:
Fady, this thread isn't going to make Ducky like you more.

Shhh ethelred, just play along :lol

Now, heres a little dedication from me to my fellow buds at NEOgaf :D

love+pc.jpg

LOVE_m.jpg

loveduck.gif

ig-05-22-duck-hugging.jpg

Val_Duck.jpg

White Man

Fady K said:
I did hear something about a mental breakdown - is that true at all?? What are the sources??

And THATS what hes working on now??? Say it aint true :(

Well, no, but that would be interesting, wouldn't it? I hear he's actually making a game where you use the waggle wand to undo the straps on a straitjacket.

Did someone mention Matsuno???

<----- He is the one true king

Hopefully he will make another tactical rpg for Mistwalker...or Vagrant Story 2 for me.

LevelNth

Banned
ethelred said:
They have. He's making a Wii game.
Not really. Aside from the fact that 1Up was the only site to report it, their article based on his appearance in that video was pure speculation presented as fact. There was a couple posters here (duckroll in particular) who stated that he didn't say anything substantial in that promotional clip, and nothing else was officially announced. It's possible that he's making a Wii game, and it's possible he's no longer with SE, but nothing is really 100% confirmed.

The only thing that is a definite, is that Hiroshi Minagawa and Akihiko Yoshida are still with SE, and the three have never been apart in more than a decade. Thus it would certainly be disappointing if Matsuno has indeed left SE for good. Especially if he's gone to cavia of all places as some rumors suggest...

ethelred

LevelNth said:
Not really. Aside from the fact that 1Up was the only site to report it, their article based on his appearance in that video was pure speculation presented as fact. There was a couple posters here (duckroll in particular) who stated that he didn't say anything substantial in that promotional clip

And others, such as John, said that there wasn't much doubt in what he said. It's also entirely possible that they had outside confirmation when they reported that news which they couldn't pass on. You don't know, and I don't know -- but 1Up reported that he's working on a game, not that he's rumored to be working on a game; we'll see how that pans out.

Linkup

LevelNth said:
Not really. Aside from the fact that 1Up was the only site to report it, their article based on his appearance in that video was pure speculation presented as fact.

Where are the 1up guys. Come speak of this!

Red Scarlet

Where in the world is Yasumi Matsuno?

That has exactly the same number of syllables as
carmenLogo.jpg

Now I want to play that again.
Thank you for this thread.

:lol Speevy!

Fady K

LevelNth said:
Not really. Aside from the fact that 1Up was the only site to report it, their article based on his appearance in that video was pure speculation presented as fact. There was a couple posters here (duckroll in particular) who stated that he didn't say anything substantial in that promotional clip, and nothing else was officially announced. It's possible that he's making a Wii game, and it's possible he's no longer with SE, but nothing is really 100% confirmed.

The only thing that is a definite, is that Hiroshi Minagawa and Akihiko Yoshida are still with SE, and the three have never been apart in more than a decade. Thus it would certainly be disappointing if Matsuno has indeed left SE for good. Especially if he's gone to cavia of all places as some rumors suggest...

I hope he didnt leave. Minagawa, Yoshia, and Matsuno need to stay together!! Sakimoto was always a part of their team for the last 10 years as well! So its NOT confirmed that he left Square-Enix?

I hope something gets confirmed about the guy, and i personally hope its not a Wii game.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
A couple of days after his appearance at the Wii conference, Famitsu reported that he is currently making a game for a company. They said that they didn't know which game he was making, and that they couldn't reveal the name of the company he is currently working on.

Now all we can do is wait until someday, the mysterious company reveals the Matsuno's game to the public. Until then...

wsippel

Banned
Grivenger said:
A couple of days after his appearance at the Wii conference, Famitsu reported that he is currently making a game for a company. They said that they didn't know which game he was making, and that they couldn't reveal the name of the company he is currently working on.

Now all we can do is wait until someday, the mystrious company reveals the Matsuno's game to the public. Until then...
Similar to what 1up reported, then. Only that 1up reported that the game will be on Wii. Maybe the "mysterious company" is TGDS?

wsippel said:
Maybe the "mysterious company" is TGDS?
Still quite mysterious, I don't know who the hell is TGDS...

Now, in the Wii interviews, he appeared as what? 'Game Designer'? Other people there had its company name in their introduction. He can't be at Square-Enix anymore if he wasn't labeled as working there, its impossible.

And if he is making a game...then he has joined another company (or form a new one with someone's funding...).

wsippel

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Still quite mysterious, I don't know who the hell is TGDS...

Now, in the Wii interviews, he appeared as what? 'Game Designer'? Other people there had its company name in their introduction. He can't be at Square-Enix anymore if he wasn't labeled as working there, its impossible.

And if he is making a game...then he has joined another company (or form a new one with someone's funding...).
"The Game Designers Studio" is/ was a Square Enix studio partially founded by Nintendo. They did FF:CC. But I don't even know if they're still around.

It would fit the "Game Designer" description quite well, though... :)

arhra

Game Developer In Making Game Shocker.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The Game Designers Studio is an internal Square-Enix development team, so there would be no need to list Matsuno as a freelancer if he moved there (which wouldn't make sense since he had his own internal team at S-E already).

I bet Matsuno has made his own studio or joined someone like Sakaguchi in Mistwalker.

ethelred

Fady K said:
I hope he didnt leave. Minagawa, Yoshia, and Matsuno need to stay together!! Sakimoto was always a part of their team for the last 10 years as well! So its NOT confirmed that he left Square-Enix?

No, Matsuno has left Square Enix. That much is most assuredly not in doubt. He was no longer listed as a Square Enix employee, and numerous people out of Japan have confirmed that he's exited the company.

Fady K said:
I hope something gets confirmed about the guy, and i personally hope its not a Wii game.

That's the most idiotic thing in the world to say, but whatever, we've already had this debate in another thread.

jj984jj said:
The Game Designers Studio is an internal Square-Enix development team, so there would be no need to list Matsuno as a freelancer if he moved there (which wouldn't make sense since he had his own internal team at S-E already).

Right. I mean, it's technically an external company, but it's all just a shell game. The whole studio is just staffed by people who report to Kawazu.

LevelNth

Banned
ethelred said:
That's the most idiotic thing in the world to say, but whatever, we've already had this debate in another thread.
I've no idea of Fady K's reasoning, but it certainly is not 'the most idiotic thing in the world to say'. One of Matsuno's strengths is presentation, and better tech = better presentation. If that's what Fady K enjoys about Matsuno's games, then I don't see why that's an idiotic opinion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LevelNth said:
I've no idea of Fady K's reasoning, but it certainly is not 'the most idiotic thing in the world to say'. One of Matsuno's strengths is presentation, and better tech = better presentation. If that's what Fady K enjoys about Matsuno's games, then I don't see why that's an idiotic opinion.

His other strength (and arguably more important) is gameplay depth-- which he could do anywhere.

Plus, if he can get FFXII levels of presentation on the wii, it's good enough.

I would LIKE if he could do a game on both the PS3 AND the Wii. That'd be nice...and plus, then we wouldn't have to measure e-penises.

ethelred

LevelNth said:

It is idiotic, but as I said, we've just had this debate in another thread, and I don't feel like going through the motions on it again. :)

Alex

If he has to wind up outside of SE, I'd hope for Level-5 myself.

EDIT: the forums are so screwed at the moment. :lol

wsippel

Banned
LevelNth said:
The presentation of FFXII was just fine I think, even though it was on that weak, low-tech PS2... ;)

Top Bottom