• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the hell is Splinter Cell?

Tesseract

Banned
tenor.gif

ScornfulReflectingLcont-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

PlaintiveChillyDromedary-size_restricted.gif

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Splinter Cell can absolutely work great as a VR game. Just imagine this sort of thing except with a high budget/high tech engine a la Half-Life Alyx (the first game is a pre-Kickstarter alpha, it's getting a lot better, the second is also ea). Question is, will Ubisoft do that or just half ass it? We'll see.

Last edited:

Buyukbaba

Neo Member
What we knew all along was confirmed a few days ago:
2w3vXGt.jpg

After all these years, keeping it in the dark, not trusting it's core value and not having the guts to publish this gem because of profit hesitation, they decided to make it for VR. Is there something like high profit margin in VR games that we are not aware of, or did UBI suddenly turn into a fully dedicated idealist producer and decide bringing one of the most iconic game character to a very limited gaming habitat despite having a large demand from the regular gaming community.

I am not against having a splinter cell game for VR, it could be refreshing i admit but after all these years, i cannot understand this decision. May be ubi has great plans for VR in general in the future, who knows.

prag16

Banned
Ohhh fuck off Ubisoft. I hope this is a 'VR remaster' of some kind, a smaller project, with an actual real new installment coming in the near future. If this 'new SC game' that's been rumored for years turns out to be some VR-only project and nothing more, I will not be pleased.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Directional audio for multiple sources.
Improved CPU for AI and pathfinding.
Raytraced lighting and realistic shadows.
It's like this gen was made for stealth action games. We will definitely get them. Splinter Cell, Thief, MGS... Syphon Filter? New IP? I'm happy to wait a couple of years for devs to get a handle on the tech and deliver some gameplay that actually takes advantage of it.

I really want a Syphon Filter though.

Wonko_C

After all these years, keeping it in the dark, not trusting it's core value and not having the guts to publish this gem because of profit hesitation, they decided to make it for VR. Is there something like high profit margin in VR games that we are not aware of, or did UBI suddenly turn into a fully dedicated idealist producer and decide bringing one of the most iconic game character to a very limited gaming habitat despite having a large demand from the regular gaming community.

I am not against having a splinter cell game for VR, it could be refreshing i admit but after all these years, i cannot understand this decision. May be ubi has great plans for VR in general in the future, who knows.
My bet is Facebook moneyhatted Ubisoft into making these.

Ozrimandias

I think I'll make a thread talking about the future of splinter cell, or rather with the actual state of the tom clancy franchise.

I think going from games developed in unreal, to games developed in anvil next and even more so, the approach that Ubisoft is giving to a large part of its games, open world, with microtransactions, in episodes, and with a high multiplayer component, is what has produced the delay of splinter cell, and the future of it ... which I do not like, at all.

Romulus

I'm a fan from the very first release on the OG Xbox. I got it day one and every SC release through Double Agent.

To me, there are a few "low tier" spy games in VR, and they instantly proved to me it could not only work, but work better in VR.

Ozrimandias

Too complicated for your brain maybe😘

Do it. Its going to be very interesting.
I Was a big fan of Metal Gear some time ago, had every limited editiion that i could posibly get. But Splinter cell and Metal Gear Solid were similar in only agents that infiltrate, nothing more.

In Splinter Cell you don't have a scene like Meryl and Johnny shooting the FROGS before Snake fights Screaming Mantis :messenger_winking:

Mista

Banned
I Was a big fan of Metal Gear some time ago, had every limited editiion that i could posibly get. But Splinter cell and Metal Gear Solid were similar in only agents that infiltrate, nothing more.

In Splinter Cell you don't have a scene like Meryl and Johnny shooting the FROGS before Snake fights Screaming Mantis :messenger_winking:
Yeah thats called Kojima’s team trolling. I thought you were a big fan of MGS so this should’ve been known to you ;)

Ozrimandias

Yeah thats called Kojima’s team trolling. I thought you were a big fan of MGS so this should’ve been known to you ;)
"trolling" lololol....
He pays homage to the movies he likes, like Ocelot who is a representation of the spaghetti western that he likes so much. That scene (which is the same as Mr. and Mrs. Smith) is just that, a tribute to the cinema that he likes, the problem is that it breaks all emotion or involvement in that scene because of those stupidities so typical in it. I thought you knew Metal Gear more than I did.

He is no trolling, it's just Kojima being Kojima

Mista

Banned
"trolling" lololol....
He pays homage to the movies he likes, like Ocelot who is a representation of the spaghetti western that he likes so much. That scene (which is the same as Mr. and Mrs. Smith) is just that, a tribute to the cinema that he likes, the problem is that it breaks all emotion or involvement in that scene because of those stupidities so typical in it. I thought you knew Metal Gear more than I did.

He is no trolling, it's just Kojima being Kojima
And how’s that a problem exactly? Even the trolling is fun in all the games. Don’t see where’s the problem honestly

Ozrimandias

And how’s that a problem exactly? Even the trolling is fun in all the games. Don’t see where’s the problem honestly

I quote exactly what I wrote previously " it breaks all emotion or involvement in that scene because of those stupidities so typical in it" It's my opinion. Things like this and so many others, make again, incomparable in some aspects Splinter Cell with Metal Gear....and this is why Metal Gear didn't kill Splinter Cell....Ubisoft did.

Bragr

Banned
I loved Double Agent, then they made the more wacky action-oriented Conviction and Blacklist that actually turned out very well, but considering the direction the franchise was going, I highly doubt they are going for a more stealthy story-driven thing like Double Agent. I expect something like Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Splinter Cell fuckitty fuck fighting zombies in some gargantuan landscape where you need to drive 10 minutes back and forth listening to audio mission descriptions from some cuck who guides you through a revolution by taking over towers scattered around the map so you can lift the fog of war and find more towers.

Kathanan

I love the old ones.. but for ME i don't need a new Splinter Cell if it's the same action sh*t we got last game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Stuck in some blocked cave with all the other IPs that fans would LOVE to see, but for whatever reason the companies that own the IPs just don't see potential success.

Sybrix

Ubisoft tired to fill the Splinter Cell gap with Watchdogs.

Unfortunately Watchdogs are mediocre at best.

I would love anew Splinter Cell game, a proper one, along the lines of Double Agent or previous.

Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll get it, a SC game in 2021 doesn’t have the financial opportunity Far Cry, AC or Watchdogs has.

I would be happy with a remake of any SC game pre Double Agent

Top Bottom