• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which email service do you use?

bitbydeath

I’m getting seriously sick of Hotmail/Outlook and it’s poor SPAM detection. Microsoft states they blocks billions of emails from even reaching your mailbox and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why I have so many issues receiving emails from Sony. (Beta testing etc which I’m supposed to be signed up for) But I often get the usual someone in my area landing straight in my inbox along with drug emails and ones that aren’t even readable, I have no idea how they let all the obvious suspects through.

Problem is I’ve had this account for years so have a lot tied up into it. But I’m officially sick of it and need to move on.

What do you use, how good is it, any issues?

I hear Gmail is good at SPAM detection so that is a possibility, what does GAF use?

Mista

Banned
My main is gmail. My PSN, Xbox and Steam accounts are stuck with my old ass hotmail

Gmail does wonders when it comes to spam so give it a go. Don’t know about Yahoo but I don't have a yahoo nor know anyone that does.

I use Gmail for work and the filters are pretty good.

The best way to go about it is to push your emails to local email software (like Thunderbird) and do a second layer of filtering there, too.

Dark Star

Gmail for pretty much everything. I use like 2-3 main emails, one for work, one for friends/family, etc.

Occasionally i'll sign up / sign in for something "spammy" so i'll use an old throwaway Hotmail for that.

I actually have too many emails, like one of them I made just for Twitter so I only signed in like one time and never checked it again after creating the account lol

Last edited:
10minutemail

On a serious note, Protonmail.

Its really concerning how people trust Google when they don't hesitate to invade your privacy with Gmail.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
Duel email master race here:

ProtonMail for personal / family / items I want notifications for.

mail.ru for corporate signups aka junk.

Turn off notifications for mail.ru and bask in the glory of no junk mail / marketing / deleting email ever again.

Mail.ru has English for the mobile version, you’d need a translation software for the desktop one.

Those who created RocketMail accounts before Yahoo disabled registration still have access to them. Always wondered how the service stacked up in contrast to Hotmail and AOL during the 1990s and what's left of it today.

daveonezero

Banned
Yeah, I'm proton as well. I have a few old accounts that I still use for some things and endless junk mail though too.

Yeah same.

While gmail doesn’t satisfy my privacy wants it definitely has good security. With the ability to use a hardware key and stuff.

That way you can use it to sign in on sites that don’t support 2fa or only use sms one time codes.

I’m currently redoing all that. For myself

NeoGiffer

phil-bird.gif

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
For personal stuff it's Gmail. I am pretty deeply embedded into the Google ecosystem for better or for worse.

At work we use Exchange so the client is either Outlook, Outlook Web Access, or ActiveSync for mobile.

Fbh

As much as I don't like to depend on google I use Gmail for both work and my private stuff. It has been my go to email service for so long that using it feels like second nature.
I also have a Hotmail account I use to register on random sites or to sign up for givaways and stuff like that (which usually have some "I agree to your SPAM" fine print)

Last edited:
Hotmail tend to give you the most hilarious "This Russian/Romanian Woman wants your large cock in her dripping Pussy" e-mails.

I am always wary when I get the "Amazon has locked your account" ones though that get through on my legit ones even though I put tons of filters on them.

I only ever use Gmail for Work/Looking for work stuff because...well....Google can tell Employers if I wanna work elsewhere. (never works though...trying to use the Data crap to my advantage)

-Arcadia-

Banned
Protonmail. I don’t know how it compares in terms of features, but I’ve never really cared much about that?

It’s clean, it’s simple, always works well, and while I doubt anything is ever entirely secure or trustable in this day and age, I feel a lot more confident with it.

Gmail and outlook. I have about 10 emails with different passwords for each and every mail has it's purpose.
It's difficuilt to remember all these passwords, so I use that Msoft's program called mail which comes bundled with the os.
I really love desktop email client, it's awesome. As for spam, well on most sites that I deem not worthy of their own email, I use so called "shitmail" account.
I'm really serious with my emails :)
y7fPvGx

f1g1iEW.png

Last edited:

Secesh

I only use my Apple mail now. Completely unfucked myself from Google.
Took forever to decouple my life from Google products.

I know this is slightly off topic but what is the best way to get a paid email service. I’m doing some business on the side and while I don’t need my own website at the moment I’d like to have an email that reflects my business rather than just business@gmail.com etc. I’m in Australia but I don’t mind if it’s .com.au or just .com.

I dont need bells and whistles just email + the name for as cheap as possible. Any recommendations?

Top Bottom