• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2012 Edition

Linius

Yeah, looking forward to The Walking Dead. The end of season two gave me good hope for a better third season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The twenty-third season of America's Funniest Home Videos on ABC at 7/6c

The fourth season of The Cleveland Show on Fox at 7:30/6:30c

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The second season of The Mortified Sessions on Sundance at 8/7c

The fifth season of 90210 on the CW at 8/7c

The sixth and final season of Gossip Girl on CW at 9/8c

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Nature on PBS at 8/7c

Arrow on the CW at 8/7c

NOVA on PBS at 9/8c

Chicago Fire on NBC at 10/9c

Nashville on ABC at 10/9c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Nashville

ABC didn't make additional episodes of "Nashville" beyond the pilot available for review, so I don't know if this team will be able to keep the series both sharp and sudsy, whether Burnett will be able to find enough new songs each week that sound like plausible country hits, nor whether the show will continue to humanize Juliette just enough that she's not a cartoon vixen. But this is a very good start. When you put Mrs. Coach onstage at the Grand Ole Opry, it would be hard for it not to be.

B+

Sepinwall - Arrow

It's all well-done for what it's trying to be. Perhaps in time it'll find its own distinct take on Green Arrow, even if it's not exactly what O'Neill, Grell and other writers did with him on the page. As a fanboy myself, I saw enough in the "Arrow" pilot to not mind coming back at a later date to see what the show's become, but not necessarily enough to be in a rush to do it.

B

Mo Ryan - Nashville

Perhaps "Nashville's" most surprising accomplishment is that it sort of invents its own genre: It's a high-class entertainment that takes its locale and its characters seriously and treats the audience to some enjoyable music along the way (and that's what you'd expect when the music supervisor is T Bone Burnett). Of course, this show could go the way of "Smash," which had a great pilot, but soon took several enraging left turns into Idiotville. The difference is that "Smash" tried to convince us that the low-wattage Katharine McPhee could carry a Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe, while the ladies here (who sing their own music) are far more credible as performers and stars.

We don't know what the future holds for Juliette and Rayna, but like a singer on stage at the Grand Ole Opry, we should just enjoy this moment while we can.

Mo Ryan - Arrow

"Arrow" doesn't reinvent the superhero drama for television, but it reminds you how much fun a straight-up rendition of the classic elements of the genre can be. The enjoyability of "Arrow's" pilot begins with leading man Stephen Amell, who brings the right mixture of charisma, sly wit and brooding presence to the dual roles of playboy Oliver Queen and Arrow, a hooded vigilante armed with a bow and arrow. The frosting on this superhero cake is a supporting cast full of excellent utility players such as Katie Cassidy and Paul Blackthorne (I've been waiting for both those talented actors to land regular gigs on shows worthy of their talents forever). My fingers are crossed that future episodes are as brisk and well-made as the pilot and that the unfolding mythology gives "Arrow" a chance to offer up not just scenes of escapist derring-do but reasonably compelling character-driven stories. The truth is, all the producers of this show had to do is give me a halfway justifiable excuse to look at Amell for an hour a week, but even if you're not an abs aficionado, you may enjoy the opening chapter of this superhero saga.

Mo Ryan - Chicago Fire

What you really need to know about this saga of firefighters and paramedics is that it has no spark, no fire, it's utterly damp, it's on life support, it needs CPR, [insert your own tired pun here]. Seriously, "The Mob Doctor" looks like "Crime & Punishment" by comparison. It's surprising that the Dick Wolf TV factory would churn out a product so utterly without interest (seriously, all the actors look as though they are dying to clock out and go home). Generally speaking, Wolf's various "Law & Orders" were at least competent and most of these actors (Eamonn Walker, Jesse Spencer, Monica Raymund) have been fine in other shows. This just doesn't work on any level and creates very little suspense, even in life-or-death situations. So what would prompt TV executives to put this kind of worn-out material on the air? I have a sneaking suspicion they're motivated by the conviction that this kind of dreck is good enough for the dim Hobbits of Middle America. Well, we'll see about that.

AV Club - Arrow

An unexpected strength of Arrow is how well it understands its limitations. Trying to recapture the tone of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy on a CW budget should be a recipe for disaster, but Arrow is careful in playing to its strengths and minimizing its weaknesses. Amell doesn’t show a lot of range in the pilot—and voiceover is clearly not his forte, although anyone would struggle a bit with Oliver’s over-explanatory monologues—but he’s good at playing a grim badass, as well as someone pretending to still be a rich jerk, which are the two main modes the pilot requires of him. The task of making arrows look cool onscreen might seem like an obvious case for some bad CGI, but Arrow demonstrates Oliver’s incredible skills by showing just his initial shots from the bow and then the final results, leaving the seemingly impossible part of the shot to our imagination. The flashback scenes set on the open ocean—an area the CW has rather infamously struggled to portray well in previous shows—are carefully shot to minimize the amount of dodgy-looking green-screen backgrounds. The result isn’t perfect, but Arrow’s strong sense of what’s in its wheelhouse and what isn’t results in a pilot refreshingly low on cheese.

B

Poniewozik - Nashville

As a confirmed Smash detractor, you might think I’d be turned off by a show that, on the surface at least, is essentially Country Smash. There’s a rivalry between two singers, country veteran Rayna James (Connie Britton) and rising pop starlet Juliette Barnes (Hayden Panettiere), who clash when the record label puts the slumping Rayna on Juliette’s tour as the opening act. There’s backstabbing and conniving, as Juliette aims to poach Rayna’s guitar player, contributing family entanglements and a city-hall subplot, this time involving Rayna’s husband and her estranged daddy, Nashville big-wheel Lamar Hampton (Powers Boothe).

But unlike the glitzy but stylized—and ultimately shallow—Smash, the pilot of Nashville quickly established a real and lived-in feeling that goes beyond the local landmarks. Whereas Smash’s Karen never became more than a generic heartland ingenue, Britton’s Rayna has soul, charm and the kind of earthy realism the actress gave Tami Taylor in Friday Night Lights.

Tim Goodman - Nashville

All in all, it’s an entertaining hour of fine acting, writing and ambition. Even if you’re not a country music fan, the rest of Nashville is singing a different, intriguing tune.

Tim Goodman - Arrow

Intricate plot development is not that important at The CW. As long as Arrow has action, arrows, fighting, flirting and a brewing romance, it’s all good.

Tim Goodman - Chicago Fire

No need to get all Rescue Me on us. No ghosts, no boundary pushing, no flights of fancy.

Rote but entertaining, Chicago Fire can’t be ruled out as perhaps one of NBC’s best chances for a hit.

The Totally Rad Show - Arrow

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The fourth season of The Vampire Diaries on CW at 8/7c

Beauty and the Beast on CW at 9/8c

The eighth season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX at 10/9c

The fourth season of The League on FX at 10:30/9:30c

Reviews:

Tim Goodman - Beauty and the Beast

(Just read the whole thing. It's hilarious.)

SFGate - Beauty and the Beast

"Beauty and the Beast," doesn't even have enough for a 10-minute run. One of the new season's worst shows (and with competition like "The Neighbors," that's saying something), the new series, premiering Thursday night, stars "Smallville's" Kristin Kreuk as Catherine Chandler, who sees her mother shot to death and seems about to meet a similar end when she's suddenly rescued by Herman Munster.

Well, in the show it's Vincent Keller (Jay Ryan), who is supposed to have died in Afghanistan but instead has lived and tends to morph into a beast from time to time. In those beastly moments, his makeup is so terrible, he looks like Herman Munster.

But that's just one of many unintended laughs you'll get from the overheated, badly written, wretchedly acted and unconvincing drama, which makes mincemeat out of the traditional beauty and the beast fairy tale.

LA Times - Beauty and the Beast

It is all so dreadfully familiar — the lovely, headstrong and feisty heroine, the nice guy who wants her (in this case, the medical examiner played by Max Brown) and the broken bad boy she loves instead.

Even the overlay of a government conspiracy seems tired; the only point of light is provided by Catherine's partner, Tess, who, as played with great common-sense appeal by Nina Lisandrello, clearly deserves to be on a better show. One can only hope that this marks the last limping leg of the inter-species romance, because in real life, true love should not include a partner whose first instinct is to kill you.

ivysaur12

Banned
The PAs on CW shows are some of the most attractive people I've ever seen. I saw the writers' PA on BATB the other day and it's just not fucking fair.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
NBC’s ‘Mockingbird Lane’ Pilot To Air On October 26 As Halloween Special

NBC‘s Mockingbird Lane pilot is coming to primetime earlier and in a different form than originally planned. The hourlong pilot, written by Bryan Fuller and directed by Bryan Singer, will air as a Halloween special on Friday, Octboer 26, at 8 PM, leading into a Halloween-themed episode of supernatural drama Grimm. NBC’s Friday 8 PM slot became vacant when the network this week decided to hold back comedies Community and Whitney. “This exciting new take on a memorable series will definitely blow out conventional wisdom and create its own legacy,” said NBC Entertainment president Jennifer Salke. “Teaming this new show with a terrifying episode of Grimm makes the perfect pre-Halloween fright-fest."

Are they still going to pick it up to series if it does well? It wasn't mentioned in the article. I can't imagine what the threshold for renewal will be if they're airing it on a Friday with so little notice/promotion. It's certain to bomb.

Exentryk

Will be sticking with the same shows I watched last season.

1. The Big Bang Theory.
2. Two and a Half Men. (Was better with Charlie tbh)
3. Dexter.
4. The Mentalist.

Any new shows worth watching this year?

TripOpt55

None of the new dramas have really grabbed me this Fall (though it is early obviously). I can't wait for The Following though.

Leeness

Beauty and the Beast, a One Word Review:

Lmao.

(I laughed, I giggled, I will continue to watch cause its hilarious. All the homicide detective models, the "beast" who is so hideous, with his chiseled good looks and abs, because of his ~facial scar omg~, he's a government experiment to make soldiers HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER, the main girl is in love with him already, pretty much. IT IS TOO DANGEROUS FOR YOU TO BE WITH ME GO...just go... )

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Beauty and the Beast, a One Word Review:

Lmao.

(I laughed, I giggled, I will continue to watch cause its hilarious. All the homicide detective models, the "beast" who is so hideous, with his chiseled good looks and abs, because of his ~facial scar omg~, he's a government experiment to make soldiers HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER, the main girl is in love with him already, pretty much. IT IS TOO DANGEROUS FOR YOU TO BE WITH ME GO...just go... )

So the critics were right?

Awesome!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering yesterday:

The third season of The Walking Dead on AMC at 9/8c

The second season of Talking Dead on AMC at 10/9c

The second season of Comic Book Men on AMC at 10:30/9:30c

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Emily Owens, M.D. on the CW on 9/8c

Underemployed on MTV at 10/9c

The fifth and final season of Flashpoint on ION at 11/10c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Emily Owens, M.D.

Gummer's been a sharp performer in smaller roles the last few years — as a rival lawyer on "The Good Wife," as a much less neurotic doctor on "Off the Map" — but she can't do much with her first real TV vehicle. Every time Emily is allowed to be competent, or even occasionally good at interpersonal dynamics, she's immediately undercut by something juvenile like getting into a staring contest with Cassandra.

Adult life may be like high school some of the time, but it isn't all of the time — and a show suggesting that it is becomes just as difficult to endure as some of the worse memories of high school itself.

C-

Tim Goodman - Emily Owens, M.D.

Welcome to one of the most annoying and condescending shows you’ll ever hopefully not watch. Emily Owens is a pilot that should be shown to all preteen and even high school girls, like one of those shocking Red Asphalt driver’s ed films from long ago. It should be a warning to all young women that they need to have self-esteem, confidence and a belief in their own intelligence, or they’ll end up like Emily, the most talkative, least confident successful woman you’re likely to meet.

SF Gate - Emily Owens, M.D.

Although the role is a sad waste of Gummer's skills, she makes Emily both believable and likable against impossible odds. The rest of the cast is fine, but without Gummer, they couldn't begin to rescue the series from its enormous burden of predictability and cliche.

SF Gate - Underemployed

The show's concept is that these kids all have high hopes when they leave college and then reality bites. Got it. Not a terribly novel concept, but workable. Now what's Wright's excuse for failing so miserably to work with it?

It's called writing, people. Find someone who knows how to do it. Even the most shallow MTV-generation viewer should find these kids vacant and uninteresting. If they don't, they probably think "Jersey Shore" is educational TV.

New York Times - Underemployed

“Underemployed,” an hourlong dramedy that begins on Tuesday night, is a botch, an attempt to do a dirty-sexy-funny show about struggling (but great-looking) millennials that’s so creaky and clichéd hardly a moment rings true. If it demonstrates anything, it’s the inadvisability of a 40-something producer (Mr. Wright) creating and supervising a show based on the life of his 20-something son.

NY Daily News - Underemployed

The stories in “Underemployed” quickly become large and melodramatic.
Expect ill-advised romance, reluctant compromise and the lessons of growing up.
It’s a little more classic. It’s a little less hip.

beat

I want to like Underemployed just for Craig Wright. Recorded but haven't watched the pilot yet.

After last night's episode, I think Ben and Kate is by far the front runner for best new sitcom. It's got so much (earned) heart, and it's got a bunch of weird spins on conventional setups.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

World Without End on Reelz Channel at 8/7c

Suburgatory on ABC at 9:30/8:30c

American Horror Story: Asylum on FX at 10/9c

Reviews:

LA Times - World Without End

I liked watching Nixon, Blake Ritson as Edward III and Miranda Richardson as a judicious prioress. Carlo Rota gives an effective, matter-of-fact performance as Caris' father. Peter Firth, as a self-promoting local power broker, soft pedals his part as well. And the built sets and the digital mattes alike do a fine job of taking you to another place.

Seattle Pi - World Without End

There's no reason to doubt there was this much cruelty and injustice in the world then as there is now, but in this miniseries without end, there's not a single character with a shade of gray in his or her moral complexion. They're either all saintly or thoroughly despicable, and while I've looked ahead and know it doesn't arrive until the sixth hour, the plague can't come soon enough to suit me.

What's happening with Amercian Gods? That's another project that's gone of the radar.

There have been no updates on that, as far as I know. I'm assuming that it's still in the works though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The third season of Nikita on CW at 9/8c

Hunted on Cinemax at 10/9c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Hunted

As with the many conspiracies of "Alias," I'm not always 100 percent clear on what's happening in "Hunted," but the atmosphere and suspense are terrific, and the leading lady is compelling enough that I want to see her triumph over whoever it is she's ultimately supposed to be fighting.

B

Mo Ryan - Hunted

Though there's no time travel, "Hunted" reminded me a little of "Looper," in that if you poke at the structure of the thing too much, you'll just give yourself a migraine. But I was very willing to give the worthwhile "Looper" a break because so much of it made emotional and instinctual sense, and the same is true of this intelligent Cinemax drama. It's essentially interested in the ways in which lonely, damaged characters allow themselves to find comfort in a world that has no fixed moral moorings, and the wounded tenacity of these people is every bit as intriguing as the progress of that mystery briefcase.

AV Club - Hunted

Cinemax made a name for itself with Strike Back, but as fun as that series could be, it was a riff on action movie tropes that viewers had seen millions of times before. It’s hard to say that Hunted’s story is anything that fans of the spy genre won’t have heard before, but the way that story is told is so much fun—and so often thrilling—that it doesn’t matter that this is a cover version of a very old song. Hunted feels legitimately like nothing else on TV, and to adventurous viewers, that’s going to count for a lot.

B+

ivysaur12

Banned
Suburgatory was pretty bad. Still hasn't recovered, even post-Eden. It might be time to drop it.

Gonna watch AHS and Hunted tonight.

Top Bottom