• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which fighting games have the best KO flash visuals?

It has been a pretty common practice for fighting games to have a super spash of colors on a knockout

Example

KO.jpg

tumblr_m4t9dh9lmX1r2r2ypo1_500.gif

KqyCfno.gif

Which games have your favorite splash visuals for this effect

Is street fighter the starter of it and best? I can't find a pic of it but didnt one of the sf2's have a harsh yellow and red one?

I've always been a fan of the slow fade to white in KOF games, right after you KO the final member of the opponent's team.

It leads to some epic "fade out" moments, if you will.

PSqueak

Banned
the Jojo games on the CPS3 had these bitching manga close ups of the bloodied face of your oponent if you finished them off with a super.

Also, loved the first 3 vs games (XMvsSF, MvsSF and MVC 1 ) which displayed the names of the supers if you finished your oponent with them.

Ninja Masters for Neo Geo

WVWyRE.gif

Unfortunately it's not present on the Virtual Console version as all flash effects are forced to off for people who may be prone to seizures and may not be aware.

TheYanger

It has been a pretty common practice for fighting games to have a super spash of colors on a knockout

Example
Which games have your favorite splash visuals for this effect

Is street fighter the starter of it and best? I can't find a pic of it but didnt one of the sf2's have a harsh yellow and red one?

I'm not an expert, but I remember the flashy splash screen KO being added in Super SF2, prior it just had the slowdown and sound effect then the "KO" announcer voice and the background would animate very quickly.

Here's KOF XIV's current "super KO" screen flash:

Now picture that fading to white, and now stop picturing it and see it for yourself!

wow. the picture couldn't do how bad that is justice. 0 impact.

Ninja Masters for Neo Geo

WVWyRE.gif

Unfortunately it's not present on the Virtual Console version as all flash effects are forced to off for people who may be prone to seizures and may not be aware.

its simple, not very crazy but not bad. I like the feeling of it, I wonder how a fighting game having some tone outs like that would look if it was put to other uses or messed with the look of it a bit more to add shadow changes, growth or color splashes around the players standing out against that background

For example, 2d mortal kombat fatalies with the blood splash would go very well on that white/gray backdrop

shandy706

Does the way Killer Instinct handles things count?

There is some flash, but the biggest "show" is the backgrounds. Something Epic or insane usually happens to the environment as you do an Ultra Finisher.

(Like tornados touching down, or buildings falling apart, or giant octopuses (kraken?) destroying ships...etc)

Stage finishers also alter the backgrounds/stages where you can be killed in some flashy way by them.

Top Bottom