• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which film was better....Batman Begins or The Dark Knight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

I certainly prefer TDK, but that's mostly because of Heath Ledger and my general disdain for origin stories. I like BB's version of Gotham better than TDK's not-Chicago, but that's about it. Scarcrow and Liam Neeson don't do anything for me. The pacing's a little fucked in TDK (esp. in the last act) but I can still follow what's happening overall, and the individual scenes are good enough that I don't particularly care.

So TDK wins for me, but it probably could've done that just by not being a fucking origin story. I'm so sick of seeing Batman's origins.

Sephzilla

I certainly prefer TDK, but that's mostly because of Heath Ledger and my general disdain for origin stories. I like BB's version of Gotham better than TDK's not-Chicago, but that's about it. Scarcrow and Liam Neeson don't do anything for me. The pacing's a little fucked in TDK (esp. in the last act) but I can still follow what's happening overall, and the individual scenes are good enough that I don't particularly care.

So TDK wins for me, but it probably could've done that just by not being a fucking origin story. I'm so sick of seeing Batman's origins.

Batman Begins was the first time we saw a live-action adaptation of Batman's origin though?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The Dark Knight is better. I remember coming out of the theater after Begins and having some problems with it. (Although I can't remember any of it, I haven't seen Begins in ages.) I blame Goyer.

DrArchon

Batman Begins was the first time we saw a live-action adaptation of Batman's origin though?

True enough, but I don't/didn't particularly care. It's still treading old ground as far as I'm concerned because I already know his deal. I just generally prefer stories about Batman as an established character in Gotham instead of a brand new face.

Pagusas

Elden Member
513323-batman_returns.jpg

If this counts then I change my vote. Returns is still leagues better than anything else.

Why can't any director make a Gotham as interesting as Tim Burton did?

Goodstyle

TDK and it's not even close.

Best Batman movies of all time are:
Mask of Phantasm
TDK

Great Batman Films:
'89 film
Lego Batman Movie

And if we're going to count DVD films, these rank among the best:
ROTJ
Under the Red Hood

The rest are just OK to Bad.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Oh hell yeah.

Yep. Like I said a couple posts up I'm admittedly being nitpicky about it but I tend to only bring that up when people either bring up the microwave emitter from Begins or start talking about how mediocre TDK's third act is compared to the rest of the movie.

Fair enough. I just think critisizing the tech of any of the films opens a huge can of worms. Dat grapple gun...

tomtom94

I like BB's version of Gotham better than TDK's not-Chicago, but that's about it.

Oh yeah, that's a good point and something that did irritate me as the series went on. First film went to great lengths to build Gotham and then the latter two films could basically be set anywhere.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Begins easily, TDK is an overrated mess that should have been edited to focus on just a couple of stories instead of trying to cram like 4 different subplots.

Sephzilla

Nolan's Batman kills someone in every movie, which in hindsight is hilarious since the first two movies really drive home Batman thinking he's above common criminals

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dark Knight, easily. Batman Begins was not thought that highly when it came out, and would likely have been mostly forgotten if Dark Knight didn't come out.

Batman Begins is the more consistent movie. But TDK has higher highs.

Most non-Joker scenes in The Dark Knight are a slog to get through after the first viewing. But the good scenes are incredible.

Sephzilla

Dark Knight, easily. Batman Begins was not thought that highly when it came out, and would likely have been mostly forgotten if Dark Knight didn't come out.

Huh? It scored a 70 on Metacritic and an 84% on RT. It was totally thought of well when it came out.

Eidan

Oh yeah, that's a good point and something that did irritate me as the series went on. First film went to great lengths to build Gotham and then the latter two films could basically be set anywhere.

The "Gotham" parts that everyone keeps saying the sequels lacked were just the Narrows.

Sephzilla

The "Gotham" parts that everyone keeps saying the sequels lacked were just the Narrows.

It wasn't just the narrows. Remember when Rachel and Bruce were in the car and Rachel drove to a slum section of Gotham that looked like shit? That was like a mile away from the courthouse and wasn't in the Narrows at all.

You're mostly right that the shitty parts of Gotham we see in Begins were in the Narrows, but they did at least try to show one other shitty part of Gotham. That whole scene was basically Rachel trying to show Bruce that the city as a whole was going to shit right underneath them.

Nielm

Batman Begins is a true 'Batman' movie, it's more akin to the comic books.

However, I think TDK is definitely the better movie. Batman Begins is a great introduction story, but I don't often find myself wanting to watch it again. TDK is far more rewatchable to me, thanks to the intro scene and Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker.

SeanC

If Neeson had a little more charisma to his character and didn't have the micro-thingy I would go for that, it's a great origin story with some great moments, but Ledger and the better set pieces and action moments in Dark Knight just outshine it.

Eidan

It wasn't just the narrows. Remember when Rachel and Bruce were in the car and Rachel drove to a slum section of Gotham that looked like shit? That was like a mile away from the courthouse and wasn't in the Narrows at all.

You're mostly right that the shitty parts of Gotham we see in Begins were in the Narrows, but they did at least try to show one other shitty part of Gotham. That whole scene was basically Rachel trying to show Bruce that the city as a whole was going to shit right underneath them.

That area looked just like the area in TDK where the Batmobile crashes and turns into the motocycle.

inky

There really is no discussion. I prefer Begins (it comes a bit closer to what I want from a Bats movie), but TDK is a better movie in almost every way.

Sephzilla

That area looked just like the area in TDK where the Batmobile crashes and turns into the motocycle.

We'll agree to disagree there, I guess.

The scene I'm talking about in BB has people living right in the streets, hobo communities, trash everywhere, and a dive bar run by the mob. The area you're talking about in TDK has some abandoned cars and that's it.

On that note, Tim Burton's Gotham is the best live action Gotham

We'll agree to disagree there, I guess.

The scene I'm talking about in BB has people living right in the streets, hobo communities, trash everywhere, and a dive bar run by the mob. The area you're talking about in TDK has some abandoned cars and that's it.

On that note, Tim Burton's Gotham is the best live action Gotham

That scene always pissed me off. They go from broad daylight to grim dark night with a simple turn down a street. Was there a timeskip we missed?

Sephzilla

That scene always pissed me off. They go from broad daylight to grim dark night with a simple turn down a street. Was there a timeskip we missed?

They're underground for that entire segment

easily tdk... bb is bloated, too many threads

Batman Begins is too bloated? In comparison to The Dark Knight?

Batman Begins has like, two plot strands running through it. The Dark Knight has about seven.

bullshit. rewatch bb.

Batman Begins has like four plot threads going on in it, only 2 of which are major

1) The League of Assassins plot
2) The Gotham mob plot
3) The Rachel love story
4) Bruce embracing the Wayne legacy

#1 and #2 tie together in the final act of the movie. And all 4 are basically resolved by the end of the movie (#3 gets opened up again in TDK). Dark Knight by comparison has a lot more going on in it.

Superflat

Dark Knight for me.

Batman Begins had two central villains and a sub villain while also throwing in flashback origin scenes and a love story; felt like none of them really got developed to the degree that I wanted. I think it was really ambitious and a good effort though. Very enjoyable.

TDK also had two central villains but did so much more cohesively and meaningfully imo. It's also masterfully paced, making 2.5 hours go by in a flash; movies that go beyond 2 hours pretty much always make me feel antsy, but I had nothing like that with TDK. I like that TDK has more complexity in its story, but everything is very directly tied to the Joker. There aren't many (if any) side fluff that feels inconsequential or undercooked.

It stands to this day the film that I've watched the most in theaters (different groups of friends wanting to see it on different days) and I was more than happy to lol.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Batman Begins has like four plot threads going on in it, only 2 of which are major

1) The League of Assassins plot
2) The Gotham mob plot
3) The Rachel love story
4) Bruce embracing the Wayne legacy

Many of these plot strands naturally transition into each other, which doesn't make for "bloat" at all. For example, the Gotham Mob plot is essentially resolved the moment Crane gasses Falcone...setting the stage for the League of Shadows to seize power. All four strands aren't going on concurrently, unlike The Dark Knight...which is packed full of subplots that are running alongside each other, thus lending it the impression of feeling much more "bloated".

Sotha_Sil

Dark Knight is significantly better, though it should not have wrapped up the Two Face storyline in the same movie. Ran a bit too long with that included.

jviggy43

TDK is still probably the best comic book movie ever made for me. Cultural phenomenon, amazing performances and an awesome story, and fucking ledger as joker. Plus the action was marginally better than BB (as in, you could sort of understand what was happening a little bit better haha)

The action sequence leading up to it, Batman saving Joker, and then Joker's dialogue as the camera inverts ending in Joker's lingering laughter is as perfect a conclusion to his arc as you could ask for, doubly so when Batman then has to deal with the fruition of Joker's plan by confronting the broken Harvey Dent.

Yep.

Best batman movie. Waver on it being the best comic book movie ever often too. Spiderman 2 tends to win out on that for me though

But aside from the joker scenes that encounter between Gordon/Dent/Batman is so good as well.

Oldman kills it

Plus I'm a huge mann fanboy so Nolan cribbing from his aesthetic for shooting Gotham this time was so dope

New002

Between Begins and the Dark Knight I would say Begins. I feel like Heath's performance really carried the movie and elevated it, but that means when he's not on screen I'm like eh movie's alright.

A-V-B

As much as I love TDK for the Joker tour de force, I think Batman Begins is a super solid motion picture. I can just turn it on and get into it.

Oldman's, "We have to save Dent! I have to save Dent!" is one of the most underrated, great line readings. TDK wins for a lot of reasons, but Ledger, Oldman, and Eckhart are especially great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom