• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best "Horde" mode?

Blues1990

Overwatch's Junkenstein's Revenge & Uprising PvsE modes are pretty great. I wished there is a permenant Horde Mode for the game.

Flipyap

I'd put Reach above it in terms of spectacle, and more importantly, all the options you have available. You can really get creative with Reach's options, and even come up with your own crazy remixes if you really get into the details (like say, 30% health, swords only with perma-stealth -- go crazy with it).

One thing I'd give ODST the nod on is pure white knuckle difficulty though. Its harder to stay ammo'd up, you're more fragile as an ODST, and some of the skulls really bring the pain, and the tension that comes with that challenge. But, presuming you were up to that challenge, the waves could settle into a really rote pattern. When that happened our group would end up quitting out eventually out of sheer boredom, rather than a win condition or a loss. So there are pros and cons.
I'd put Reach's Firefight above it because ODST's skulls ruined the mode for me. Being forced to melee shielded Drones to survive is not my idea of fun. It's certainly challenging, I just wish that could have been done without sacrificing Halo's core gamplay rhythim.
Reach also gets bonus points for including matchmaking.

No love for Destiny’s Prison of Elders? Does that count?
That might be because they took a game mode that was originally meant to be infinitely replayable and put fixed waves in it, making it feel static and worth playing exactly once a week (and that's Destiny in a nutshell).

That might be because they took a game mode that was originally meant to be infinitely replayable and put fixed waves in it, making it feel static and worth playing exactly once a week (and that's Destiny in a nutshell).
Was so hype for that mode and did my grinding to get to it, and after a few waves I was good.

That's happened with all of the extra modes Destiny has added over time. Love the sound of them, but they run out of steam with me super quick for some reason.

RSB

Banned
My favorites are GoW2, ODST and Reach. If I can only pick one I'd say Reach. I played Firefight Doubles for over 200 hours easily (I'll never forgive 343 for removing that playslist) So good.

Was so hype for that mode and did my grinding to get to it, and after a few waves I was good.
Same. I actually bought the Destiny season pass when PoE was announced. I loved Firefight, so I was super hyped for it, but in the end it was incredibly disappointing.

Top Bottom