• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games best pulled the "location from an older game" nostalgia trip? (Spoilers)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not technically the 'same' place but the Spencer Estate in RE5's DLC was very nostalgic.

053tsg3.jpg

For revisiting the same place, Shadow Moses in MGS 4 is GOAT. Especially with that music.

nusup.jpg

mclem

This was the first thing I thought of. MGS4 had a LOT of problems, but they absolutely nailed that bit.

As far as recently goes, I would have to say Zelda: BotW
when you make your way through the Lost Woods to the Master Sword's resting place and The Great Deku Tree. Absolutely fantastic callbacks to LttP and Oot.

Speaking of the bolded bit:

One nice touch is that the torch/wind puzzle to enter the Lost Woods in BOTW? Paid attention to the direction you actually travel?

You go north, west, south, west.

Draft

Dead Space 2 is the run away winner.

A fake Spencer Mansion in RE:CV is fun.

Diablo 2 turns Tristram into flaming rubble, complete with several dead NPCs from the first game.

But Dead Space 2 nails it. That's a real gaming experience.

Lynchian

FFVII

I know it's within the same game, but parachuting into Midgar gave lil me a rush of nostalgia.

Just shows how grand a journey you've taken in that game.

That's why it's really good, it's not nostalgia per se. It's playing your expectations of what you did in the first game and the memories of it, then mashes it with heretofore not experienced tension in the second game. You stop and wonder stuff like"...was it that vent the first time?" or "did it come from around this corner before?" for an agonizingly long time. Finally getting attacked was a release from that.

It's PTSD, is what it is

Last level of System Shock 2 was a nostalgia trip, though a simulated one. Loved it.

Since then, my favorite is the Ishimura in Dead Space 2 as has been mentioned many times.

Haganeren

MGS4 and going back to 1.

Replaying MGS1 with old graphics was awesome but the actual chapter was terrible. It's the only chapter i REALLY didn't liked in MGS 4.

My favorite must be System Shock 2 myself, i played those two games back to back and it really felt awesome !

Edit : Damn

Valonquar

Honestly I get these same feels in every From Software game when I unlock a shortcut from a late game area that links to a much much earlier game area. The long hours in-between them always left me feeling like "Remember the many deaths here? Look at how much I've grown since then!"

Followed by5 things that shouldn't pose a threat anymore destroying me.

Dead Space 2 is the run away winner.

A fake Spencer Mansion in RE:CV is fun.

Diablo 2 turns Tristram into flaming rubble, complete with several dead NPCs from the first game.

But Dead Space 2 nails it. That's a real gaming experience.

You hit it on the head with Dead space 2. Such a cool eerie experience going back to the Ishimura. So we'll done and part of why that's one of the best games ever made to me. Just a great experience overall.

Definitely MGS4, but Saints Row 4 going back to the original Saints Row in the "rescue Benjamin King" mission was an awesome site to see.

For the longtime SR fans this was an incredibly cool experience and showed real attention to detail and love of the series by Volition. It's easy to forget a games roots but they nailed it and was a very cool callback. I wish more games did this. SR2 could be the obvious choice too with how they treated the church. The cool audio guides with Julius's voice narrating them was an awesome touch. It's pretty impressive how interconnected they kept the Saints Row games through the years. Makes you really appreciate the love they have for the series.

DylanEno

Breath of the Wild has alot of these.
-Hyrule Town Ruins.
-Arbiter Grounds.
-Lon Lon Ranch ruins.
-Deku Tree, Lost Woods, Master Sword in pedestal.
-Hyrule Castle
-Gerudo and Sheikah having heir own cool town and society instead of being full thieves or extinct nearly.
-3 skeletons of monsters and the big wise fishes from old games.
-Koroks, Zora, Rito, Goron's.
-Alot of callbacks with music.
-Alot of callbacks reference wise.
-Lots ofcallbacks area/location wise.
-Temple of Time.
-Enemies (Lynels especially)
- BotW is a modern call back to the first Zelda game ever, it eveb started as such in development. They tried to do crazy things in a nes zelda build first and add that to BotW later.

And even more.
What hit me the hardest was 100% the Rito Village music. Such a beautiful opening followed by a blast of nostalgia that is the Dragon Roost Island melody... Damn. ;-;

RagnarokX

One neat one is how in Kirby Squeak Squad you go to the bottom of Orange Ocean and find the Halberd where it's been resting ever since it crashed in Super Star as the Squeaks salvage it and it takes flight once more.

Suikoden II did it really great (probably not the best though). The sidequest you get when importing data from the first game is superb, and to say you simply revisit an old location only scratches the surface of what the sidequest adds to the game.
The hero from the first game, Tir McDohl, joins your party and together, you cross the border to the Toran republic, where the first game took place. You can explore the main town, Gregminster, and its castle, both with updated music and graphics. You get to stay at McDohl's house where you get extra scenes of Suiko2 characters interacting with the first game's characters. Later, you can visit and put McDohl in your party whenever you want.

This.

All the Chrono Cross callbacks were bittersweet to me, because of how that game treated the events/outcomes of Trigger.

But that's a whole other can of worms to discuss.

Leene's Bell during the Miguel fight was a thing of beauty though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
For me, it was definitely returning to the Ishimura on Dead Space 2. It's one of my favorite gaming moments ever. Fantastic buildup to it, and walking through the plastic-covered hallways of the ship was really eerie throughout.

Izuna

Banned
MGS4

Ninja Garden 2 (beautiful shit)

Even Ninja Garden black, if it counts

Final Fantasy X-2 was fantastic

Chrono Cross had one good scene (which had a shit plot twist tbf)

Knights of the Old Republic 2

In order

RagnarokX

Breath of the Wild has alot of these.
-Hyrule Town Ruins.
-Arbiter Grounds.
-Lon Lon Ranch ruins.
-Deku Tree, Lost Woods, Master Sword in pedestal.
-Hyrule Castle
-Gerudo and Sheikah having heir own cool town and society instead of being full thieves or extinct nearly.
-3 skeletons of monsters and the big wise fishes from old games.
-Koroks, Zora, Rito, Goron's.
-Alot of callbacks with music.
-Alot of callbacks reference wise.
-Lots ofcallbacks area/location wise.
-Temple of Time.
-Enemies (Lynels especially)
- BotW is a modern call back to the first Zelda game ever, it eveb started as such in development. They tried to do crazy things in a nes zelda build first and add that to BotW later.

And even more.
To be fair, though, most of the callbacks are very superficial. Like if Arbiter's Grounds had like actual ruins that looked like Arbiter's Grounds that would have been amazing but as it is in the actual game it's just a neat nod.

The closest BotW gets to this is the Spring of Power, which appears to use retextured models from Skyward Sword:

c8ZL6Hbl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5u8JLnN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uOrcUOr.jpg

Mokujin

Xenogears had quite a bit of Chrono Trigger references, and I would almost say Xenos Goliath is a revisit of Chronos Blackbird which was something awesome.

Dead Space 2 is the winner.

It's executed perfectly, serves the story in a great way and turns expectations on your head as you
enter the Ishimura and it's completely empty and in mid-clean.
The tension of looking around waiting for something to attack you is so thick.

Dead Space 2 is actually one of the top 5 games of the last generation.

Sami+

NieR Automata
taking you back to the library from the first NieR got me very excited.

I looked over at my gf in absolute shock and she just blinked and looked blankly back at me waiting for me to explain why I got so excited lmaoooo

closed.gif

Monkey Island 2 was already a mindfuck. but to have the back alley from MI1's Melee Island unexpectedly appear during the ending was balls to the wall crazy. equally insane was that the room had no function. it was truly Lynchian.

thinking about how bizarre MI2's ending was will always be bitter sweet. when is Gilbert crowdfunding his MI3?

woopWOOP

I think in Kirby's Adventure (NES), you visit the first level from Kirby 1.
This was fun. I loved that they changed the palette to Gameboy colours for that one stage too.
kirbyclassic.png

Kirby Super Star also remade the first Kirby's Dreamland in fancy SNES graphics as Sping Breeze, but without one stage and that blimp boss.

This was great too. Had me exploring all the other racetracks to find similar secrets.

Pokemon G&S's Kanto trip is the king of nostalgia trips for me tho. Not having it spoiled for me greatly increased the wow factor. Thanks to the internet I don't think anything will come close anymore

Darksiders 2
going back to Earth. Fighting demons alongside Uriel. Coupled with finding out a bunch of backstory from the first game prior to that (Ulthane, Strife's guns, Abaddon, etc) it just hits.

Kingdom Hearts 2
Though it happens very early, going to Hollow Bastion had a very "THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN!" feeling to it.

PSqueak

Banned
I dunno if it counts, but the Tunnel of Memories in Mother 3 is a boat ride with an exhibition of landmarks and items from Earthbound/mother 2 while a remix of "Pollyanna" plays, also the rooms leading and departing from the boat ride play the Earthbound Beginnings/Mother title theme.

I originally played the series back to back so it really hit me.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
As much as I loved the MGS4 callback, the enemies there were so obnoxious it detracted from the experience.

Maan, i wish that game was available for PS4 :( Of all the games that have been remastered...

Yeah, I agree, not to throw the topic off, but I don't understand why Konami can't rerelease the games that Kojima made for them. Like they could rerelease PT for $2.99 and make money. They could rerelease the silent hill games. They could release the castlevania games on Xbox one and ps4. But instead, panchinko.

Top Bottom