• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games look better - Ultra linear games of last gen vs open world games of this gen (example: Horizon Forbidden West vs The Order 1886)

Which games generally look better?

• Ultra linear games of last gen

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • Open world games of this gen

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters

hello505

I'm likeable
And Uncharted 4, The Last of Us 2, Gears 5 vs Starfield, Forza Horizon 5, Ass Creed Valhalla, Saints Row new as examples

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Cross Gen Open World games like AC Vallhalla Forza Horizon 5 and Even Spider Man Miles Morales look great when compared between the Generations
Linear Games like RE2 RE3 and even Call of Duty Games look very nice

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Spider-Man Marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs
spider-man marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs
Assassins Creed Vikings GIF by Xbox
Assassins Creed Fight GIF by Ubisoft

Hugare

Ultra linear games

Because we've reached the point that technology is not that much limiting in terms of development.

What makes games like TLOU 2, RDR 2 and etc. is crunch, years of development, talented developers and truckloads of money. A recipe that not every company is able to afford.

So that's why despite using Unreal 5 or whatever, many games from the current generation won't reach the graphics of top tier ultra linear games from the past gen

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The Order 1886 with a res bump would still be king of the hill, no need to even touch the textures, just a buffers res bump.
It doesnt quite hold up when you have it in front of you.....holds up well in small GIFs though.

TLOU2 even at that resolution is still one of the best looking games around.
Im praying the PC version will have Ultrawide support if a PS4Pro can 1440p30 that game, my PC should easily 3440x1440p165 it.

Openworld Flight Simulator is astounding, every time a new update comes out and I see people posting screenshot im slighting taken aback as to whether its a photo.....i have to DF 400% zoom in to see the low res buildings or something.

*awaits ant sized Driveclub gifs.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If an open world game has a fun new way to get around I can deal with it (spider man, halo infinite) but other then that I’m getting really sick of them. Rather have the big set pieces of an uncharted over and endless map of an assassin creed game.

SeraphJan

I would say they are on par in terms of visual

But games like Uncharted 4 had pretty big map if you think about it, remember that Madagascar scene? Its mind blown at the time, and it still looked top tier even in current gen standard, for a 2016 game

I think until UE5 games are rolling out, we are still in 8th gen in terms of visual (not framerate)

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Nothing has really surpassed RDR2 on a decent PC.
Rift apart looks pretty good, with its particle effects, ray tracing, high number of objects on screen.
But I dont think anything will really blow the best of last gen out the water. This gen will hopefully provide more extravagant gameplay systems and experiences.

Shtof

Horizon FW handily beats any game from last gen. It just looks miles and miles better. And TLOU2 and God of War really did some amazing stuff, even on base PS4. But it's not even close.

AJUMP23

I like them both for different reasons. I play linear and non linear games. I just like good games.

buenoblue

???? I downloaded the order 1886 bout a month ago on ps5 and it looked like dog shit??? Blurry fucking mess.

On a side note I just played Kena bridge of spirits maxed out on PC @1440p 32 inch gsync. That game looks absolutely incredible! Might be the best looking game I've played to date actually.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Flight Simulator is outstanding both on the series consoles and on the xcloud
How are the graphics on xCloud? I have excellent results on other games with xCloud and only play Flight Sim occasionally these days. I would love to uninstall it and play on cloud if I can still get the amazing visuals.

RDR2 is still one of the best-looking games to date on all platforms.

With streaming technologies evolving the way they are, the technical limitations on visual quality for open-world games have largely evaporated.

The main limitation in both cases now is the budget for art asset generation. Obviously, that's a larger burden for open-world games, but procedural generation and open content libraries like Epic's Quixel Megascans help to significantly close the gap.

Well, we don't actually have a fully current-gen open world game (and neither do we have a linear one, for that matter, with maybe the exception of Demon's Souls and Ratchet maybe).

So, even if it's been a while, we're still waiting.

Last edited:

Kikorin

All thing considered (not just "graphics", but interactivity, animations, attention to details, etc...), I think Red Dead Redemption 2 is still the best looking game out there and I guess will stay on top for a long time. GTA VI will do better thanks to insane development time and budget, but basically budget and time are the most important things for great looking games today, hardware is no more the only variable.

tmlDan

Go back and play Order 1886, the game is a visual masterclass esp for its time.

I still prefer open world games of this gen, just beautiful open worlds the past few years.

Trogdor1123

horizon is simply the best looking game out right now. It’s pretty incredible.

The other games look good but they simply don’t look as good, and it’s still cross gen remember

DonJimbo

How are the graphics on xCloud? I have excellent results on other games with xCloud and only play Flight Sim occasionally these days. I would love to uninstall it and play on cloud if I can still get the amazing visuals.
The graphics are mostly 1080p but very clear as the games are processed on servers that are series x equivalent
Only minor dips and lag that has to do with your internet connection when you play in wifi mode

Horizon FW handily beats any game from last gen. It just looks miles and miles better. And TLOU2 and God of War really did some amazing stuff, even on base PS4. But it's not even close.
Yeah I'm biased because it was the first game I played on a 4k television but Horizon still beats most current gen games.

Shtof

Yeah I'm biased because it was the first game I played on a 4k television but Horizon still beats most current gen games.
Yeah, I don't think any current gen games really come close to HFW on similar hardware. It has tech most devs will not have until 2-3 years in the future.

Forbidden west would probably be the best looking game right now. Before that I might be tempted to say TLoU PT2 (not sure if it’s open world or linear) would be the graphics champ.

SSfox

RDR2 still best looking game. It's unfortunate that it's in the hand of Trashstar that don't give a fuck about anything outside of their shitty gta online to give this masterpiece a proper next gen upgrade.

Markio128

HFW likely has more visual detail than any linear game I’ve played, especially in consideration of the different environments, creatures and characters, all created with a massive degree of love - I mean, the detail on the wildlife alone is insane. The Order was amazing at the time, but the letterbox display and lack of length/variety kind of spoilt the party.

An easy way to tell if an older game holds up really well is when people jump into a graphics comparison thread to trash it's gameplay.

hussar16

???? I downloaded the order 1886 bout a month ago on ps5 and it looked like dog shit??? Blurry fucking mess.

On a side note I just played Kena bridge of spirits maxed out on PC @1440p 32 inch gsync. That game looks absolutely incredible! Might be the best looking game I've played to date actually.
for some reason same thing happened to me when i played ac unity on ps5. it looked absolutly incredible on ps4 and i got it on ps5 and it looked dog shit . blurry not sharp . i honestly think its the ps5 ,i did get a new tv but it went from oled to oled

Top Bottom