• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which had the better Sega Ages collection, Switch or 3DS?

Which had the better Sega Ages collection, Switch or 3DS?

• 3DS

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Switch

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Kazza

With the announced end of the Switch Sega Ages line, now is a good time to reflect on and compare the two Sega Ages libraries.

3DS

Sega_3D_Classics_Collection.jpg

hPathoT.png

yqL4xVr.png

Switch

fb.jpg

RrOdHn3.png

3DS has it in terms of numbers (albeit with a few Japan-only exclusives), but which had the best overall quality?

Last edited:

Kazza

For me, these were the top picks from each:

3DS

Alien Syndrome
Galaxy Force 2
Power Drift
Thunder Blade
Turbo Outrun
Ristar

Switch

Gain Ground
Thunderforce 4
Virtua Racing
Shinobi
Phantasy Star
G-Loc Air Battle
Herzog Zwei

I have a slight bias towards games that have been rarely release on a home console (otherwise amazing games like SoR2 and Shinobi 3 would make my favourite list). Exceptions to this were where the Sega Ages additions were really great (such as Phantasy Star, with its auto mapping and quick gold/exp accumulation). Overall, 3DS wins out for me on the games selection alone, and the special 3D effect makes it an eve easier choice.

Jaxcellent

I never played any DS games, but my vote will go to Switch, because I think in the near future, People at Sega will wake up and realise how easy they could sell dreamcast, supermodel 2/3 Naomi games on the switch, they will make a fortune! Sega will get super poplar again and we will all be living the Sega dream.

Kazza

I don’t think Ristar is on 3DS

TBH, I don't remember it either, but saw it on the list and thought "Damn, Ristar was there, that was a good choice!"

It looks like the 3DS has it. M2 have said that they are still working with Sega on things. Maybe they'll be switching to collections, rather than individual releases. That's my optimistic interpretation anyway. Sega Model 3 Collection or Sega Rally Collection etc. One can dream!

The games look phenomenal on the 3DS with the 3D cranked up, some of the best use of it on the system. Switch has got it's work cut out in beating that.

MrA

Banned
wow, sega never released turbo outrun in the us but did in Japan, why does sega need to have such great games but be so terrible at leveraging them

Kazza

I already have the western 3DS physical addition, but I'm really tempted to get the Japanese=only volumes 2 and 3 also. They are a little pricey though (at least on amazon Japan)

FYI for those that collected the 3DS Sega Ages series that the standalone version of Power Drift on the Japan eshop is unique in that there is an extra mode that includes other Sega Characters:

Top Bottom