• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Hollywood actor has the best performance in a Video Game?

levyjl1988

Banned
Seems like we are getting a lot of high profile Hollywood actors in Video Games, for example, Keanu Reeves in CyberPunk 2077.

Anyway in your opinion which Hollywood actor has the best performance in a video game, line delivery, character conveyance, made a big impression on you, etc.

This thread isn't about which big Hollywood actor is better, but more of which had the most impact in video game performance that resonated with you and you thought it was very powerful and their performance felt really embedded in the world that you forget about the actor entirely and just see the character.

I'm sure there are tons of video game performances by unknowns that greatly outshine these actors in conveyance, performance, and delivery, but let's just focus on Hollywood actors for this thread.

Here's a list so far. Feel free to add to the list if I missed anyone, attach a picture for those who know people by faces and not by names.

Keanu Reeves as Johnny Silverhand in CyberPunk 2077.
5dWmNZf.jpg

Peter Dinklage as Ghost in Destiny 1.
K9dsY0W.jpg

Andy Serkis as Monkey in Enslaved Odyssey to the West.
bDzeh8A.jpg

Kit Harrington as Salen Kotch in Call of Duty Infinite Warfare.
1es2Ckp.jpg

Liam Neeson as your Dad in Fallout 3.
JHL2pz7.jpg

Patrick Stewart as Emperor Uriel Septim VII in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
kMMw47d.jpg

John Cleese as the Butler in Fable 3.
H3xZW1v.jpg

Keifer Sutherland as Sergeant Roebuck in Call of Duty World at War.
sBC2I38.jpg

Kristen Bell as Lucy Stillman in Assassin's Creed.
teKPbny.jpg

Elijah Wood in The Legend of Spyro.
P5gANgD.jpg

Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes in Beyond Two Souls.
GQhMFnp.jpg

Willem Dafoe as Nathan Dawkins in Beyond Two Souls.
50r6JCs.jpg

Kevin Spacey as Johnathan Irons in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare.
9SrJgpW.jpg

Norman Reedus in Death Stranding.
4A7wUpP.jpg

Martin Sheen as Illusive Man in Mass Effect 2/3.
jZh6pYv.jpg

Terry Crews in Crackdown 3
Hy5KTYy.jpg

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Lance Reddick in Quantum Break and Horizon Zero Dawn

Lance Reddick is just a fantastic character actor in general, I think thats why he works so well in games. You can totally tell when the actor doesn't understand how their VO will be used in-game and the end result is too over the top or too subdued.

Lance on the other hand just sounds like he is acting in a live action episode of Fringe 99% of the time. Maybe they also just have good VO directors at Guerilla/got in good ones.

Kuranghi

Mark Hamill as the Joker

Yeah I love him, especially in Arkham Knight, so much optional dialogue which is extremely well done and funny that you can miss in that game. Like the voicemails at Wayne Tower.

I'm finishing up Origins right now and its just not the same, he's too "posh" in this one.

Magog.

Banned
Actually going to change my vote to Lance Henriksen. He's my favorite actor ever based mainly on his performance in the show Millennium but he also put in great performances in Mass Effect (Admiral Steven Hackett) and especially Detroit: Become Human. (Carl Manfred)

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Richard E Grant also put in a solid performance as Vex in Sackboy: A Big Adventure. Infinitely better than Dinklage. Lot of glaring omissions in the OP tbh.

Last edited:

deafmedal

I preferred Tyrion to Nathan Drake in Destiny. Tiger blood's daddy in ME2 was fantastic. I liked Neo in the future Witcher game. My fav is probably Mr. Didn't take it out for air in the ME trilogy, I can agree 3 should have ended with the final scene between him and Shepard.

Emma Stone Sleeping Dogs
I didn't know this! I should replay this game, it was fun.

SirTerry-T

Don't know about Hollywood but DCI Barnaby's old right hand man, Sgt Daniel Scott did a decent job in Ryse-Son Of Rome.

YDClgp2.jpg

(Little nod for UKGaffers)

Reactions: MrS

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Lance Reddick is just a fantastic character actor in general, I think thats why he works so well in games. You can totally tell when the actor doesn't understand how their VO will be used in-game and the end result is too over the top or too subdued.

Lance on the other hand just sounds like he is acting in a live action episode of Fringe 99% of the time. Maybe they also just have good VO directors at Guerilla/got in good ones.

Even better VO directors at Remedy.. He was fantastic in-game and in the TV parts of Quantum Break. I honestly I don't think he even needs a director, he's naturally awesome, pretty much anything is better with Lance Reddick. I too first saw him in Fringe and he was fantastic (love the show btw). I don't know why he isn't a major star.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Actually going to change my vote to Lance Henriksen. He's my favorite actor ever based mainly on his performance in the show Millennium but he also put in great performances in Mass Effect (Admiral Steven Hackett) and especially Detroit: Become Human. (Carl Manfred)

Lance Henriksen in Millennium was so awesome. Show was awesome. Maybe all actors named Lance are awesome.

Didn't even know he was in Mass Effect.

Kuranghi

Even better VO directors at Remedy.. He was fantastic in-game and in the TV parts of Quantum Break. I honestly I don't think he even needs a director, he's naturally awesome, pretty much anything is better with Lance Reddick. I too first saw him in Fringe and he was fantastic (love the show btw). I don't know why he isn't a major star.
Me too, even to this day if someone says "detective lieutenant" in any context I will usually repeat it in LR's voice lol.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Jack Black in Brütal Legend because the game and the topic was close to his heart

Vin Diesel as Riddick he had people create the game and played the character, because he loved the ip

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Jack Black in Brütal Legend because the game and the topic was close to his heart

Vin Diesel as Riddick he had people create the game and play, because he loved the ip

A real gamer dude. He's also producing Ark 2. Reminds me of a story I heard about Emelio Estevez being a gamer and how people online would troll him by calling him "Repo Man."

Last edited:

Rillania

Gold Member
For me, out of the list you provided its Martin Sheen from ME.

His voice and look just perfectly fit the character.

Top Bottom