• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which looks better on a standard TV? PS3 or Xbox360?

Mrbob

Does your SDTV have component inputs?

X360 premium system comes with component cables in the box, and will help give games a sharper image on SDTVs.

Then down the road you'll have cables ready for a HDTV when you get one.

You can even get monitors for cheap as a viewing space too.

My protip would be to get a HD capable set for these systems.

Mrbob

Bearillusion said:
Can you play PS3 exclusives on X360? Can you play X360 exclusives on PS3? There's your answer. Or not.

I think he just wants to play shitty 3D sonic games. ;)

In which case I would vote bail out!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
It has all to do with the games.

Some SD games look like ass on 360 just like some SD games look like ass on PS3.

Some SD games looks great on PS3 just like some SD games look great on 360.

360 has more games so you will probably find more titles that look better in SD.

Why are you asking this "troll invitation" question again?

painey

any of the good looking games on the new systems will look great in SD. You are gunna get some ugly games like Eragon and some that just dont like SD like Dead Rising but standard def is going to get rid of most jaggies and make everything look nice.

Triz

Defcon said:
Wtf? To play the games maybe. Not everyone plays ONLY for the visuals.

just my opinion. Im not a grafix whore but to invest $400-$600 dollars on a system, I'd want a TV to take advantage of it first.:)

Pimpbaa

Triz said:
The answer is If you dont have a HDTV why do you want a High Definition system?

My guess would be for wanting new games and not wanting to stick with a last gen system with a dwindling supply new games being released. There is also the fact that next gen systems still look a hell of a lot better even on a standard definition tv. Seriously people, stop responding with stupid shit like this. If the only advantage to these new system was resolution, then it would be the worst new generation of consoles ever.

Avalon

Neither will display there full potential... but the I haven't heard of any PS3 games having text problems on standard definition.

EDIT: The Xbox 360 only has one that I'm aware of.

Xeke

Banned
Triz said:
just my opinion. Im not a grafix whore but to invest $400-$600 dollars on a system, I'd want a TV to take advantage of it first.:)

Tell me where I can get a 13" HDTV that will fit in my dorm room and I'm all for it.

Avalon said:
Neither will display there full potential... but the I haven't heard of any PS3 games having text problems on standard definition.

EDIT: The Xbox 360 only has one that I'm aware of.

And how many have problems on a 360? One? :)

DOH! beaten by the edit

rod

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
(neutral) Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta
(Yesterday, 11:57 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol :lol best tag ever (and yes i know how it happened)

Avalon

mmlemay said:
And how many have problems on a 360? One? :)

DOH! beaten by the edit

:)

Just saying zero problems are better then one.

Yes I am aware that the 360 has many more games.

Scotch

painey said:
standard def is going to get rid of most jaggies and make everything look nice.
There's a lot of truth to this actually. Tycho from Penny Arcade called it 'the poor man's anti-aliasing'. :lol

But yeah, I'm still using an SDTV for my 360 and although some games will look like original Xbox games (mostly multiplatform junk), and others have ridiculously tiny letters, games like PGR3, GRAW and especially Gears of War still look fantastic. I haven't regretted my 360 purchase a second, so don't let all the hd fanatics here fool you.

The same probably holds true for PS3, so in the end it comes down to what games you like.

Avalon

standard def is going to get rid of most jaggies and make everything look nice.

This is not true. 480i looks nowhere near as clean as 780p. It's true that the image blurring will clean it up to some degree, but it will also destroy any kind of detail.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
From a stricktly out of the box technical perspective, not factoring in the games themselves. The Xbox 360, simply because it ships with Component cables and PS3 ships with Composite.

Dahbomb

Tenacious-V said:
From a stricktly out of the box technical perspective, not factoring in the games themselves. The Xbox 360, simply because it ships with Component cables and PS3 ships with Composite.
What if your SDTV doesn't have Component input?

vitaflo

Triz said:
The answer is If you dont have a HDTV why do you want a High Definition system?

Sony and MS are in a world of hurt if this is what people really think. Most people don't have HDTVs.

If you can't afford an HDTV, you should at least get a VGA cable & monitor so you can enjoy the hi-def. I know you can do this with the xbox 360.

Getting the xbox 360 or PS3 w/o high-def is silly IMHO.

One would assume that this is more a matter of developer effort than anything. I'm not exactly fond of the way MotorStorm of Formula One look on my SDTV, but Resistance is a beauty regardless of TV type.

Fredrik

The downscaling that the 360 does on SDTV's makes most games look really nice IMHO. Barely no jaggies to be found anywhere. And after seeing Gears of War on my 7-8 year old Sony Widescreen SDTV I have zero plans to upgrade to an HDTV. It simply isn't needed. I'll just buy games for the money instead. :)

If you have a small room ... a small HD LCD is better for you than a tube set anyway. Tube takes up way more space.

Unless you live like in a box, you should be able to have at least a 20" LCD in your room, and it probably would still take up less space overall than a 13" LCD.

Avalon

Getting the xbox 360 or PS3 w/o high-def is silly IMHO.

It's not silly. There are fun games that can only be played on the PS3/360.

However, the topic question is rather silly...

Unless you live like in a box, you should be able to have at least a 20" LCD in your room, and it probably would still take up less space overall than a 13" LCD.

Olevia 23' LCD HDTVs are like $350 now too. :)

Triz said:

higher resolutions dont make pc games rock anymore, or suck any less (if thats the case), its just a nice option to have.

painey

ZombieSupaStar said:
higher resolutions dont make pc games rock anymore, or suck any less (if thats the case), its just a nice option to have.

of course they do. Would you buy Crysis and play in 800x600?

Top Bottom