• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which one do you prefer: Hard or Soft Taco Shells?

Which is the best Taco shell?

• Hard

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Soft

Votes: 61 47.3%
  • Both

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • That Chalupa shell, tho

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm curious to find out IF the shells of a taco must be served hard or soft.

I actually like both tbh, but the kicker comes with experience. Where as I never had problems with the harder, more "American" taco, the softies...they just felt odd to eat. Like, as if they come falling off on both sides, due to how malleable they are.

That's why I prefer to eat the fake, yet more...reliable to grasp, hard taco.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I feel like soft tacos are basically bitch ass burritos.

You should explore the world of Tacos. If anything, hard shell is more of an American or Westernized thing. Real tacos are fucking soft and burst with flavors from a few simple ingredients. I have had street tacos that would twist your brain into a different opinion. Let's not even get started with Birria Tacos. We can do this shit all day!

You should explore the world of Tacos. If anything, hard shell is more of an American or Westernized thing. Real tacos are fucking soft and burst with flavors from a few simple ingredients. I have had street tacos that would twist your brain into a different opinion. Let's not even get started with Birria Tacos. We can do this shit all day!
Step into my office baby:

I haven't had many tacos in life so I can't comment with certainty. Soft would probably be my desired selection as I'm a pure chew kind of guy in contrast to crunch.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
In regards to soft tacos, do you prefer corn or flour?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Step into my office baby:

I haven't had many tacos in life so I can't comment with certainty. Soft would probably be my desired selection as I'm a pure chew kind of guy in contrast to crunch.

Good Birria is tough to beat. I'm gonna spark one up and watch that video that you posted. I think I've found my meal for dinner. :messenger_moon:
In regards to soft tacos, do you prefer corn or flour?

I like both, but I will give it to corn, Usually we reserve flour for larger taco-like builds, such as Fajitas.

I can eat either, but I prefer the soft shells. Hard shells can fragment weirdly, causing an oral incongruity when you're chewing on the rest of the ingredients. It's like you have to be hyper aware so that you don't stab the roof of your mouth or attempt to swallow a sharp chunk.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Like taquitos but not rolled up, basically you fry the corn tortilla in oil till crispy its usually filled with ground beef and potatoes
I think classic Taquitos are made with goat meat. Until a few years ago, we used shredded beef with a homemade gravy, now we use chicken breasts in a ceramic slow cooker.
Chunks of onions, some sea salt, fresh pressed garlic, little cilantro and when it's done the chicken is shredded. Then, we take the corn tortillas and cook them on a flame, both sides, until the texture resembles leather and is firm enough to hold true.
We use a single tooth pick to bind them together, after rolling. Then it's up to you. Fat or oil? We usually use olive oil, cover liberally(lol) then, you can fry them in a skillet(my preferred cookery tool for this type of food) or you can toss them into an oven, on a good rack with plenty of air circulation. Flip them once, cook until golden brown or light brown(the finished color also depends on the type of corn tortilla you are using)

This is where I become conceded. Guacamole. I use half and half, onions, garlic, lemon OR lime juice and a little salt to highlight the flavors just enough. Everything blended until everything is fully liquified and heavy, like a green whipping cream.
Green pudding. Firm, viscous enough to hold a big-ass salad spoon in place. Delicious enough to eat and ignore the volume limit of your stomach. I have experience. I usually always overeat when I eat these bad boys with God's gift to guacamole.

Everything else, I seem to get full. I think the very nature of these make them so accessible. It's almost akin to eating a bag of potato chips, just more appetizing.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I think classic Taquitos are made with goat meat. Until a few years ago, we used shredded beef with a homemade gravy, now we use chicken breasts in a ceramic slow cooker.
Chunks of onions, some sea salt, fresh pressed garlic, little cilantro and when it's done the chicken is shredded. Then, we take the corn tortillas and cook them on a flame, both sides, until the texture resembles leather and is firm enough to hold true.
We use a single tooth pick to bind them together, after rolling. Then it's up to you. Fat or oil? We usually use olive oil, cover liberally(lol) then, you can fry them in a skillet(my preferred cookery tool for this type of food) or you can toss them into an oven, on a good rack with plenty of air circulation. Flip them once, cook until golden broken or light brown(the finished color also depends on the type of corn tortilla you are using)

This is where I become conceded. Guacamole. I use half and half, onions, garlic, lemon OR lime juice and a little salt to highlight the flavors just enough. Everything blended until everything is fully liquified and heavy, like a green whipping cream.
Green pudding. Firm, viscous enough to hold a big-ass salad spoon in place. Delicious enough to eat and ignore the volume limit of your stomach. I have experience. I usually always overeat when I eat these bad boys with God's gift to guacamole.

Everything else, I seem to get full. I think the very nature of these make them so accessible. It's almost akin to eating a bag of potato chips, just more appetizing.
Sounds delicious my mother and grandmother would use the vegetable oil/skillet method that's the method I use. I also like filling them with refried beans and cheese I like cotija or queso fresco.

JCK75

I usually make Birria which is kind of both..
I make fresh corn tortillas then throw them on the griddle with the fat from the consume to get them crispy on the outsides and to melt the cheese.

Catphish

When I make tacos at home, I sometimes make my own double-deckers; a soft with beans then a hard in that. Nummers.

Dat chalupa shell, tho…

I would buy them if I could find them…

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I'm curious to find out IF the shells of a taco must be served hard or soft.

I actually like both tbh, but the kicker comes with experience. Where as I never had problems with the harder, more "American" taco, the softies...they just felt odd to eat. Like, as if they come falling off on both sides, due to how malleable they are.

That's why I prefer to eat the fake, yet more...reliable to grasp, hard taco.

giphy.gif

Come to Mexico to try the dishes.

Not that Taco Bell type plastic garbage.

Top Bottom