• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which PS1 games used the Dualshock's right analog stick in any way?

In the Half-Life for PS2 thread I saw this image and it got me thinking.
dQy45Js.png

We've come a long way, haven't we? Here's a PS1 game from 2000 with dual analog controls that was ahead of its time. Alien Resurrection is the first PS1 game I hear of that uses both analog sticks of the Dualshock besides Ape Escape.

Are there any other games on PS1 that used the right analog stick at all? It doesn't have to be a Dualshock exclusive like Ape Escape. Just one that uses the right stick. Because right now I'm drawing blanks. I remember all games that supported the Dualshock used the left stick as the same function as the D-pad but I can't think of any that used the other one.

There were a few 3d platformers if I remember rightly,which used it for better camera angles.Later Spyros,Croc if I remember right

Yagharek

There were a few 3d platformers if I remember rightly,which used it for better camera angles.Later Spyros,Croc if I remember right

I think Blasto might have as well.

Ace Combat 2 also had it.

Porsche Challenge did for analogue acceleration and break control.

What about games on PS1 where the Dpad had a different function than the left analog stick? Or were they all mirrors of one another? I don't remember seeing that until the PS2 era. For the longest time I didn't even think it was possible for the dpad to have a different function than the left stick.

Shiloa

What about games on PS1 where the Dpad had a different function than the left analog stick? Or were they all mirrors of one another? I don't remember seeing that until the PS2 era. For the longest time I didn't even think it was possible for the dpad to have a different function than the left stick.
It wouldn't make sense since many PS1 owners never had analogue controllers.

ascii42

It wouldn't make sense since many PS1 owners never had analogue controllers.

Ape Escape required it. Left stick was movement and d-pad was camera I think.

The original Playstation analogue controller actually had two different "modes". You could push a button once, and the light would turn green. Push a second time and it was red. I think green was one stick, red was two? I actually owned one of those controllers before the DS.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The original Playstation analogue controller actually had two different "modes". You could push a button once, and the light would turn green. Push a second time and it was red. I think green was one stick, red was two? I actually owned one of those controllers before the DS.
I also owned one. Really odd how quickly it was replaced. Neat artifact of the swift move to modern controllers.

I also owned MadCatz controller that had a mode where the sticks were just replacements for the d-pad and the four buttons on the right. It was the only proper controller for Robotron on the old Williams collection, which didn't have support for analog sticks.

OKeijiDragon

Neo Member
Mega Man Legends 2 used the right stick for more fluid movement, while using the left stick for camera control (pressing L3 centered the camera). It was a huge step up from Legends 1's digital-only controls.

Onaco

Spyro never used the right stick.

Crash Team Racing let you push forward on it to accelerate and back to break.

Otherwise no Crash game used the right stick.

Mohasus

While it isn't the default configuration, I just tested NFS III: Hot Pursuit with analogue braking and acceleration and it works.

Break = to damage or destroy
Brake = device used to slow a vehicle to a stop
Oops, I was lazy and just copied what the other guy said, didn't even notice that.

jsnepo

Medal of Honor made use of the 2nd analog stick of the Dual Shock. It was the first game that made me use it.

Test Drive 4 also used the right stick for accelerating / braking.

Edit: Also the Bishi Bashi Special games. A lot of games controlled much better and were more intuitive than using the sticks than d-pad and buttons

Bishi%20Bashi%20Special%20(Japan)%20(2).jpg

Ape Escape was amazing. I remember how dumb I felt trying to wrap my head around it at first, now it all seems so normal. The way it innovated so much with the dual shock was something I feel like the sequels could never really push forward again, just add on to... but that memory is why I wanted an original, new Ape Escape for Vita so much, so it could get it's Tearaway on x10.

Oare

The best PS1 game did in a very creative way.

5lxEQCc.jpg

Ore no ryori.
Pure cooking battle goodness, unfortunately never released abroad.
Available on the JP PS store

There's one game on Steam that draws heavy inspiration from it and received some praise on GAF a few years ago, but I'm drawing a blank on its name.

Edit: Cook, Serve, Delicious is the name of the PC clone.

Top Bottom