• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which race is generally stronger, Kryptonians or Asgardians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you quantify this sort of thing.

The "power" of these creations is completely illogical and depends on the writer's imagination and whatever story they're writing.

Just enjoy the comics for what they are. Don't try to equate a comparison requiring logic (e.g. 2 > 1) to a comic which has no conceivable or measurable unit of "power" or logic.

Slayven

The "power" of these creations is completely illogical and depends on the writer's imagination and whatever story they're writing.

Just enjoy the comics for what they are. Don't try to equate a comparison requiring logic (e.g. 2 > 1) to a comic which has no conceivable or measurable unit of "power" or logic.
Debating them is fun

That's why people tend to compare power sets rather than list specific fights or even when mentioning fights where someone actually won, they either qualify or disqualify it based on how deus ex the reason for winning was.

We all know a writer can make these guys do anything. The idea is to think of who would likely win without a writer intentionally tanking one of them for plot purposes.

Machine

Thor is more powerful but Superman is boring because he is overpowered. Has anyone said this yet? Because it always seems to happen.
Logic is fun.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Not a fair question. Kryptionians vs Martians or Eternals would be a more interesting debate.

It always felt sad that DC didn't use the Vulcan characters more. Taylor made to give martians a bad time? You would think they would have some importance

Seth C

For Asgardians even the destruction of the entire world is just part of a cycle which they will be resurrected in, so yeah, Kryptonians aren't in that league.

Camwi

Assuming you mean kryptonians powered by a yellow sun, then your answer is mixed. Lower Asgardians aren't that strong. They are still superhumans, but not heavy hitters. On the other hand, Odin is stronger than any Kryptonian, and Thor (without Odin Force) is debatable.

Wasn't the general consensus of that one comic thread on GAF that Superman would beat Thor in a fight? But you're saying that Odin should easily get by Superman?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, as I don't have enough comic knowledge to know one way or the other, but I find this kinda stuff interesting.

Matt_C

According to here, the "Old Gods", aka Asgardians, succumbed to the formation of "The New Gods" like Orion and Darkseid. Many incarnations of Superman stood up to some of The New Gods. Besides Asgardian 'magic' is equivalent to Apokolipian tech. Sadly the Darkseid can wipe the floor of almost Asgard save for Odin, Loki, and maybe Thor.

Heck at full power the kissing cousins of Krypton was a terror to be feared.

Point 1 for Kyptonians.

Slayven

Wasn't the general consensus of that one comic thread on GAF that Superman would beat Thor in a fight? But you're saying that Odin should easily get by Superman?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, as I don't have enough comic knowledge to know one way or the other, but I find this kinda stuff interesting.

Superman would be a gnat to Odin.

Seth C

Kryptonians are not weak to magic, they just aren't any more resistant to it than humans.

Correct, and to be fair I'm not sure any magic truly exists in the Marvel universe. It all just seems to be technology/science of a higher understanding than those it is acting upon at the time.

Slayven

Even "The Supes that tows planets and punches reality," as someone above mentioned?

People act like Superman was the onyl one doing crazy silver age shit.

JIM104+-+Humanity+Gets+a+Time+Out.jpg

mrplaid

Originally read the thread title as "Kardashians or Argonians?" I think we all know who the winner in that case would be...

Beth Cyra

Interesting. Though reading up on it the writer had a lot of X and Y beat W and Z easily fights. I'm kind of intrigued now though.
Also, I don't get why people like to try and say how easy it was for Sups. Thor flat says if they rematched he would probably take him.

Asgardians by default, are the superior race. I think that is pretty much understood in this thread. I wish I had more to add to this but I don't.

Even "The Supes that tows planets and punches reality," as someone above mentioned?

Marvel Cosmic characters are up there with Silver Age DC madness.

Odin has destroyed planets and stars as a side effect of him fighting other cosmics.

Then you have guys like Galactus, who can teleport entire galaxies billions of light years across space.

Or stuff like the Celestials, who treat Odin and all the other Pantheon heads like rodents.

The Adder

Banned
If we're talking Kryptonians without yellow sun, clearly Asgardians.

With yellow sun? I'm going to have to give the nod to Kryptonians.

Odin, Thor, etc aren't average Asgardians

Look at Fandral. He's well above the average Asgardian, but well below Thor. I don't see him taking a win off of Conner (pre-DCnU). And Conner's only half Kryptonian.

Hell, I can barely see him beating any one of the primary Kryptonian soldiers from World of New Krypton.

Superman depending on the writer can be Sentry-strong. I think Thor takes that L. Plus, most Asgardians aren't nearly as strong as Thor/Loki/Heimdall/Warriors 3/Odin.

Beth Cyra

Superman depending on the writer can be Sentry-strong. I think Thor takes that L. Plus, most Asgardians aren't nearly as strong as Thor/Loki/Heimdall/Warriors 3/Odin.

Thor in his original form with all of the hammers powers are nearly Sentry level at all times.

King Thor is also at or above Sentry as well.

Beth Cyra

Abd sun-dipped Superman is even more powerful than that. What's your point?

The point is, using Sentry isn't a good base for either Superman or Thor. You power up either of them and they make Sentry look like a tool. On top of that Sentry powers are so wild it's hard to really say where he is, yet Thor and Sups have a good baseline the majority of the time.

Espada

Asgardians. Average Asgardians are superhuman while average Kryptonians without a yellow sun are just like humans. High level Asgardians like Odin and Thor? They have powers on a level that make Superman (a high level Kryptonian) seem modest.

The point is, using Sentry isn't a good base for either Superman or Thor. You power up either of them and they make Sentry look like a tool. On top of that Sentry powers are so wild it's hard to really say where he is, yet Thor and Sups have a good baseline the majority of the time.

This isn't true at all. Sentry was broken even by cosmic Marvel standards during Dark Avengers/Dark Reign. And he whupped Thor.

Beth Cyra

This isn't true at all. Sentry was broken even by cosmic Marvel standards during Dark Avengers/Dark Reign. And he whupped Thor.

This is the same Sentry that some how tied with WW Hulk which makes no sense, and the base for my claim that using his doesn't work.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This is the same Sentry that some how tied with WW Hulk which makes no sense, and the base for my claim that using his doesn't work.

sentry is a reality warper with no real concept of his powers. we dont know how far his limits are on that front. so yeah, its really hard to compare him to others. but he is legitimately broken

Beth Cyra

sentry is a reality warper with no real concept of his powers. we dont know how far his limits are on that front. so yeah, its really hard to compare him to others. but he is legitimately broken

I wouldn't argue that he isn't, or that I'm an expert on Sentry at all. I just don't think his power set is at a level you can really compare a base line Thor or Sups to him with any reliability.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Depends on the version of Superman.

The Supes that tows planets and punches reality shits on Odin, let alone Thor.

The one that punched reality was in a position to do so, he did not just punch anywhere.

And at the end of the JLA/Avengers cross Superman could not lift Mjolnir any longerand Thor told him straight out he knows Supes measure now so a "next time" would go differently.

Seth C

Dr. Strange says hi.

I know what he does seems like magic, but so does most of what Loki does and despite that it isn't, really. They both just control aspects of our universe that we don't understand. The same thing as magic? Maybe, hard to say. Galactus would call it science.

According to here, the "Old Gods", aka Asgardians, succumbed to the formation of "The New Gods" like Orion and Darkseid. Many incarnations of Superman stood up to some of The New Gods. Besides Asgardian 'magic' is equivalent to Apokolipian tech. Sadly the Darkseid can wipe the floor of almost Asgard save for Odin, Loki, and maybe Thor.

Heck at full power the kissing cousins of Krypton was a terror to be feared.

Point 1 for Kyptonians.
Save for Darkseid (who has never done much save for posing ominously and get his ass handed to him constantly), I don't think that New Gods are actually very powerful.
The average Asgardian is far more powerful than a Parademon, and high-level Asgardians like Tyr, Sif and Heimdall truly outclass Dessaad, Orion, and so.
I don't think that Darkseid could stand against Galactus, while Odin has done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom