• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR headset releasing in 2023 do you think will breakout with consumers?

Which headset will breakout and lead 2023?

• Samsung (Samsung Glass)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TCL (Nxtwear V)

• Bydedance (PIco 4 or other)

• PancakeXR (Pancake1)(now available)

• Auxue Rishi (Snow Kylin VR)

• YVR (YVR2)

• DPVR (E4)(Now shipping)

• HTC (XR Elite and other 2023 headset not yet revealed)

• Somnium (VR One)

• Lynx (Lynx R-1)(Now shipping)

• Bigscreen (Bigscreen Beyond)(coming late 2023)

• Pimax (Crystal and Portal)

• Ajnalens (AjnaXR)

• Vrgineers (Xtal 3)

• XRspaces (Mova)

• HP (rumored upcoming headset 2023)

• Lenovo (Thinkreality VRX coming sometime 2023)

• Sharp (VR headset targeting 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whether they are releasing their headset for the first time, or releasing/shipping globally for the first time, there are around 22 VR headsets with more likely to come since it's still the beginning of the year, that will/have launched in 2023. It's a huge year for VR.

Now of course, having so much VR is nice and all, but with so much competition these companies will have to differentiate themselves to get consumers onboard.

Of the current crop of announced/leaked VR headsets, or rumored/expected VR headsets, which do you see being that VR device who managed to break away from the others and appeal to consumers in 2023? When all the smoke and frontloaded hype is over, who is going to be standing there leading the way at the end of the year? Is it going to be a big brand? A mid-sized up and comer or indie? A crowndfunded venture? A dark horse no one saw coming?

Here are the headsets where we actually do know what they look like coming out sometime this year(or already out/shipping), the others have not been revealed, yet, but will be added when they are. Shown headsets In order of the poll options,

PSVR2
PSVR2-headset-and-controllers.png

NXTWear V
852w

Pico 4
PICO-4-VR-headest-00001.jpg

Pancake1
images

Snow Kylin

v2_86bad53d96c24d7295d30baf14aad10e_oswg889438oswg1053oswg495_img_png

YVR2

b3435272b070ba46deaef1d49b6aa8e4.png

E4
FmLu5bLaUAATb6H.jpg

XR Elite
HTC-Vive-XR-Elite-(4).jpg

VR One
Fkqmg6DWYAM0Vqw.jpg

R-1

DSC_0099_540x.png

Bigscreen Beyond
Bigscreen-Beyond-VR-headset-6.jpg

Shiftall MeganeX
shiftall-meganex-1.jpg

Crystal and Portal
investment_pimax.jpg

AjnaXR
GWvSSYwEYSt6ef8AER2Y6y8vUotkvDXCKILuhxaP.png

Xtal 3
XTAL-3-VR-2.jpg

Mova

Lots of choices, and more to come.

Last edited:

Crayon

Pretty tough to pick one. VR is in a way that all 3 of the top ones are dark horses in a way. If psvr2 can double sales of the first one, that's big. Apple might sell a ton of their headset or may "make vr cool" or both, and quest 3 is hard to predict if it's going to match or exceed the success of quest 2.

Exciting market segment to watch!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
apple. they see the logo on it, it sells 150 million. :messenger_clapping:

hopefully Samsung comes up with an android answer so that Android doesnt get left behind in this whole VR push

CS Lurker

Considering the rumors, Apple is firstly coming with a high price headset, so I don't think it will be that relevant in market share (it will when they release a more accessible HMD).

So I pick Quest 3.

None of the above?

I think PSVR2 will be the best out of the gate and perhaps for the entire year, especially since Quest 3 is getting a price hike so it should cost similarly to PSVR2

VR will be a slow steady grind. Unless Apple blows everyone away with a VR system like they did for the original iPhone....I don't think it'll do well at all initially. Far too high of a price for far too little utility

I doubt any headset will have Quest 2 level of success. Quest 3 will probably be the most popular.

If there is a differening experience that creates new novelty for general consumers to come back.

Maybe motion controls will work again for the Apple Headset. Or maybe TCLs dev tools will increase the bar for game quality.

Who knows what Samsung is ding, maybe a combo standalone/PhoneVR hybrid.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If there is a differening experience that creates new novelty for general consumers to come back.

Maybe motion controls will work again for the Apple Headset. Or maybe TCLs dev tools will increase the bar for game quality.

Who knows what Samsung is ding, maybe a combo standalone/PhoneVR hybrid.
Quest 3 is rumored to have a killer AR and color passthrough setup: 2 x b&w cameras, 2 x color cameras, and a depth sensor. That will be their big feature.

Justin9mm

A high-end headset with high-end VR experiences needs high-end hardware. A standalone product will not give you that at a competitive price as we really need more investment into AAA games. If you want a competitively priced consumer product, the headset needs to be paired with accessible high-end hardware. PSVR2 is the best frontrunner for that. A high-end PC is out of reach for a lot of consumers but there a lot of consumers that already own a PS5. You need a high-end product that is easily accessible to propel and grow VR. Sony will eventually drop the price of the PSVR2, couple that with a library of good AA-AAA games and it will make a huge positive impact to the VR market.

Last edited:

CobraAB

I think the Apple headset will be the best at AR capability. AR is what they have kind of hyped up. VR? They have been pretty mum on that. Sine the tech just ain’t there for dedicated AR yet in the form factor that is sought after, they probably decided to do a mixed reality headset.

Last edited:

CobraAB

But Quest 3, at least initially, may do best out of the gate. Quest Pro seems pretty meh for the price. The Vive XR Elite looks nice but the AR capability is pretty meh, as is the Quest Pro at least at the moment. Software seems to be a issue regarding AR this another reason why Apple may excel here.

Last edited:

TonyK

One will sell more than the others, obviously, but none of them will make VR mainstream. Not yet. Maybe never, as it's exhausting and isolating for regular people.

CobraAB

Sony PSVR2 is very good but of ourse strictly tied to the PS5 which is a obvious limiting factor One would think.

Be freaking awesome if it had PC compatibility but sadly no and seems extremely unlikely.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Apple if the price is right. Otherwise Quest 3 is by far the most well known and accessible.

Their Quest is the only VR I personally know of that’s sold to Nongaming friends.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not at the “rumored” price.
Considering the rumors, Apple is firstly coming with a high price headset, so I don't think it will be that relevant in market share (it will when they release a more accessible HMD).

So I pick Quest 3.
high prices didnt stop the iphone from dominating in sales, i doubt it will stop this from being the leading VR headset. im willing to bet it will outsell quest 2 lifetime units in 2 months

I forgot to add Lenovos headset which is supposed to come out this year as well.

What a crowded year for VR, and despite that I think we'll be lucky if 7 of these make it past Dec 31st into 2024.

ReBurn

Gold Member
high prices didnt stop the iphone from dominating in sales, i doubt it will stop this from being the leading VR headset. im willing to bet it will outsell quest 2 lifetime units in 2 months
Smartphones are capable multi-purpose computing devices that you can carry around in your pocket. VR headsets are bulky single purpose decides you strap to your face that generally prevent you from moving outside a small, pre-defined area or they stop working so you don't kill yourself by walking into walls, etc. It's not exactly a straight comparison.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
10 million units a month at $3000 a pop?

RafterXL

You're comparing a device that everyone has to own vs a niche device that no one needs. The high price will absolutely kill sales, just look at what the $100 price hike did to Quest 2 sales.

The real answer is none of them. The Quest 2 sold well because it was dirt cheap, as soon as they raised the price even a bit the sales plummeted. VR isn't gaining traction at higher price points and it won't with any of these new devices. No one *needs* them and until people have a reason to not live without one they will stay fringe devices.

10 million units a month at $3000 a pop?

9 million, but no one is going to be able to pull that off unless they have more than one killer app and they show something that has such novelty people will salivate to go after it.

While there is much excitement (maybe too much) for Apple in VR (and they still haven't shown it yet) even with that they aren't going to sell ~18 million in only two months.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i'm not even rooting for apple here but the simple reality is that everything they make sells. Androids have more functionality than iphone and get features years earlier yet it doesnt stop iphone from trouncing them all in sales. they effectively managed to strongarm the headphone jack out of the smartphone by not including it in their latest phones. they copied spotify and ended up making the 2nd most popular music streaming service. they made a fucking watch with half the capability of a smartphone and it sold units. THEY ARE THE RICHEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD. who am i not to believe that people will line up to try a new VR headset as well?

maybe not in other countries, but in the US it will definitely sell. apple fans have dangerous amounts of disposable income and they'll spend it on a niche VR headset too if it means they can support the big fruit

Last edited:
i'm not even rooting for apple here but the simple reality is that everything they make sells. Androids have more functionality than iphone and get features years earlier yet it doesnt stop iphone from trouncing them all in sales. they effectively managed to strongarm the headphone jack out of the smartphone by not including it in their latest phones. they copied spotify and ended up making the 2nd most popular music streaming service. they made a fucking watch with half the capability of a smartphone and it sold units. THEY ARE THE RICHEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD. who am i not to believe that people will line up to try a new VR headset as well?

maybe not in other countries, but in the US it will definitely sell. apple fans have dangerous amounts of disposable income and they'll spend it on a niche VR headset too if it means they can support the big fruit

To be fair there were smart watches before Apple, that did decently well, although I'm surprised that Apple got so many people to buy it. Sure, it's been in decline since 2021 overall and it seems that the watches (even the competing brands) are not really as sought out anymore. but Apple announced a userbase of 100 million watches in 2021 as well.

100 million smart watches is no joke.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
To be fair there were smart watches before Apple, that did decently well, although I'm surprised that Apple got so many people to buy it.
it's their advertising, their brand image and their reputation. this is what helps them sell even terrible products like the Iphone 7. They brand themselves as the luxury computer brand and suckers who need to be seen with the best and most expensive gear naturally buy in. sure, there's merits such as their ecosystem but it's ultimately because people want to look rich. nothing richer than having a fucking VR headset
this will only be proven more as their VR headset comes out and stomps the competition in sales.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who knew there were even this many VR sets. All you hear about are Quest and PSVR and whatever Apple rumours you see.

Whether you love Eddie's VR threads or not, got to give him credit.

I bet almost all the VR posts he does are new knowledge for you.

Last edited:

amigastar

Hey there,
I'm planning to buy a VR headset soon. I've decided to buy the Meta Quest 2.
Is it good for 350 bucks or are there other headsets on the market which are better for the asking price?
I'm gonna play exclusively on PC games like DCS World, MS Flight sim and Racing sims and HL Alyx maybe
Can someone help me out here since I'm a noob when it comes to VR?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Hey there,
Is it good for 350 bucks or are there other headsets on the market which are better for the asking price?
I'm gonna play exclusively on PC games like DCS World, MS Flight sim and Racing sims and HL Alyx maybe

I wouldn't buy a fresnel lens headset in 2023. Easy $200 adder for pancake lenses, way better resolution, passthrough, ringless controllers and better virtual desktop/PCVR streaming for the Quest 3.

Three

Hey there,
It's a good choice for the price but honestly if you're going to play exclusively on PC I would wait for Valve to announce their possible new headset to see the price.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From my perspective its too fucking expensive and most importantly still doesn't have type of games I enjoy, for me it just waste of money.

Last edited:
Apple seems to be taking the right approach. They have designed a headset that is a full generation beyond the rest of the competition, and the $3500 price is irrelevant because their enthusiast early adopters will ensure it is perpetually sold out.

Aiming for productivity and media consumption is a smart move, because VR gaming isn't moving the dial. I have half a dozen headsets at this point and the only games that keep me coming back are Beatsaber and Thumper, and those are gen 1 games.

Apple seems to be marketing their headset as a laptop replacement, and in that case it could reach beyond just the enthusiast crowd. People in the market for a $2000+ MacBook Pro could be persuaded to shell out a bit more money for the Vision. Meta really dropped the ball (as usual) making the Quest 3 such a marginal upgrade over the Q2. Good luck to everyone else once Apple enters the fray.

I think Nintendo is the only gaming company that could create a full library of must-play VR games, but we're probably 10-20 years away from the tech being cheap/small/ubiquitous enough for them to bother.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Apple seems to be taking the right approach. They have designed a headset that is a full generation beyond the rest of the competition, and the $3500 price is irrelevant because their enthusiast early adopters will ensure it is perpetually sold out.

Aiming for productivity and media consumption is a smart move, because VR gaming isn't moving the dial. I have half a dozen headsets at this point and the only games that keep me coming back are Beatsaber and Thumper, and those are gen 1 games.

Apple seems to be marketing their headset as a laptop replacement, and in that case it could reach beyond just the enthusiast crowd. People in the market for a $2000+ MacBook Pro could be persuaded to shell out a bit more money for the Vision. Meta really dropped the ball (as usual) making the Quest 3 such a marginal upgrade over the Q2. Good luck to everyone else once Apple enters the fray.

I think Nintendo is the only gaming company that could create a full library of must-play VR games, but we're probably 10-20 years away from the tech being cheap/small/ubiquitous enough for them to bother.
Eddie is that you?
Meta made the wrong move? How many $3500 headsets do you think Meta would sell?

Top Bottom