• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whiny Diablo fans don't like Diablo III's BAD ART, start whiny petition to cry

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Bad art? These people are nuts. Diablo III looks awesome so far. How can they extrapolate Blizzard's entire art direction from just two areas? This is ridiculous.

What they want is a desaturated, muddled, hard to navigate mess. There's no feeling in it at all.

Also, if I remember correctly, when wearing gothic plate or full plate armor or something, the barbarian had pretty big shoulder pads as well.

20swt41.jpg

Mindlog

ZombieSupaStar said:
well starcraft 1 did go from this

http://www.zomsportal.com/images/sc.gif

to this

http://www.zomsportal.com/images/sc.png

but i think AT MOST if blizzard decides anything to change itll slightly lower the hues and saturation, i think it would take too long to remodel everything (however though on the WOW CE DVD they show an example of how the fishies looked at the start and by the end they used a higher poly version because the game took so long, so who even knows).

it still has gore and as long as the story and attitudes are there (which with leonard boyarsky behind them I have ALOT of faith) its fine to me.

I was looking for that pic for a post earlier. I didn't look too hard though hehe.

Carm

andrewfee said:
Huh, that's weird. Are you just pasting it into another app, or converting the screenshot it saves in your Diablo II folder? (.pict file if I remember correctly) Whether I'm running in software/opengl, fullscreen/windowed, or if I play about with the gamma slider, they all come out looking exactly the same.

If you're pasting into another application, then it's taking your video settings into account as well.

Diablo is about a dark oppressive world full of despair. There's nothing nice about it.

The previous games were stylistically dark. They weren't simply desaturated and/or sepia-tinted as with many next-gen titles, they just weren't colourful.

The game looks great as it is just now, as a video game. It doesn't look like a Diablo game, however, and lacks all of the atmosphere that the previous games had.

This won't have the slightest effect on my decision to buy the game, but some of these edited screenshots look a lot closer to what I would have expected to see from Diablo III. The characters and overall style looks great, but the lighting isn't dark enough and it's too colourful.

As someone else said, why is everything green here? http://i27.tinypic.com/vep6ix.jpg

Whatever structure you're in is made of stone, there don't appear to be green light sources anywhere. There's still colour on the characters, with the spell effects, from the lights etc.

Just hitting print screen and grabbing them from the Diablo 2 directory. They are already jpeg files.

woxel1

wall3-800x600.jpg

I just wanted to point out this lovely example of Tristram looking veeeeeery Diablo-ey. Whether this concept art translates in-game is yet to be seen.

Teknoman

notsol337 said:
People still run stratholme!?

... RIGHT ANYWAY.

I played Diablo 2 in the dark, all default. I'm fucking HAPPY that Diablo 3 looks like this. It seems to fit diablo PERFECTLY!

Agreed. No gamma increases for me. Besides maybe it'll be like Diablo II's Act progression? Dark -> Bright -> Dark -> Dark (Hell) -> Bright (Snowy Mountain)

Kunan

andrewfee said:
The previous games were stylistically dark. They weren't simply desaturated and/or sepia-tinted as with many next-gen titles, they just weren't colourful.

The game looks great as it is just now, as a video game. It doesn't look like a Diablo game, however, and lacks all of the atmosphere that the previous games had.

This won't have the slightest effect on my decision to buy the game, but some of these edited screenshots look a lot closer to what I would have expected to see from Diablo III. The characters and overall style looks great, but the lighting isn't dark enough and it's too colourful.

As someone else said, why is everything green here? http://i27.tinypic.com/vep6ix.jpg

Whatever structure you're in is made of stone, there don't appear to be green light sources anywhere. There's still colour on the characters, with the spell effects, from the lights etc.
I do agree that the color is a bit overwhelming after playing so many hours of diablo 2, but whatevs it looks great

Ranger X

Such whinning wow!
I think the pics are great. Color is indeed our friend. I don't see how this will kill the feeling of a game you didn't even played. It did not become Mario Galaxy for Christ's sake.

I seriously hope Blizzard won't care.

Xeke

Banned
Haunted One said:

I'm not a proponent to make the game darker, I dislike dark games, always turn my gamma up. But I don't like the inexplicable green (or purplish, or blue) hue coming out of nowhere and dominating the atmosphere like that. :/[/QUOTE]

I hate arguments like that. I think that green is far less inexplicable then everything here.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/demon891/a2_arkane_sankt.jpg

It's art direction, not realism.

fatty

ZombieSupaStar said:

That reminds me a lot of Warcraft 2.

As for Diablo III, I love the way it looks. Many times people just have to find some reason to nitpick. When Starcraft 2 was first shown, many people had the same types of complaints. "It's not dark/gritty/rustic/brown/etc. enough!" I think both games look awesome.

fatty said:
That reminds me a lot of Warcraft 2.

It should remind you of Warcraft II, it's running on the Warcraft II engine.

Blizzard got such a huge amount of criticism for that in 1996 that they pretty much started over and did the version of Starcraft that eventually came out with an all-new, much better looking engine. That was the point, I think... with enough criticism Blizz may change something. I doubt that this will reach that level, though...

This site has a good history of it, for those who weren't Blizzard fans then (like I was)...
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/groundeffects/41/

So Diablo fans just want to de-saturate it a bit and make the light radius around the character smaller/more shapely? It's not a huge amount to ask I suppose, but the game isn't finished, and given that Blizzard is the developer, likely won't be finished until 2010. I think sounding the alarm about stuff like this might be a teensy bit premature.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Diablo 3 looks fuck-awesome. A big two handed axe to the face of anybody who thinks the game has bad art.

I_D

Flynn said:
Looks too much like glitter for my taste.

You don't really notice it when you're playing.

And they actually shine and glimmer and whatnot, so they resemble stars pretty well.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The petition text with it's example images comes off as the most brilliant mockery of hardcore western gamers. And the funniest part is that it's not even trying to be.

It's like something straight out of a Wes Anderson film.

Top Bottom