• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White girl attacked for getting box braids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derwind

Personally I wouldn't walk into a thread about male on female domestic violence and argue "men are acting on a history of ingrained cultural norms, and that while it doesn't excuse their actions, it does help explain them. The woman is in no way wrong here, but perhaps if some women were more sensitive to the needs and emotions of men this sort of thing would happen less".

Because that would be ridiculous. Of course it could be argued that the two scenarios are night and day, but not without admitting that you're trying to justify the assault on some level. "I'm not saying this is in any way justified buuuut..."

I want to say you're making a light attempt at humor but I've been proven wrong before.

Also, you seem to suggest domestic violence is comparable with uncalled for hurtful twitter remarks that also highlight cultural appropriation. Considering domestic violence is the reaction from being dominant within the frameworks of a relationship which doesn't itself try to open up a discuss on any relevant issue towards status and secondly, its domestic violence.

Also, that would be suggesting that black related issues are the dominant problem in the comparison. Which I'll assume you weren't trying to establish.

Rembrandt

Banned
You're right, it doesn't require reading every page, but it's been thrown around. Like, you shouldn't post if you haven't read the whole thread or, people shouldn't have posting rights until at least half the thread has been read, etc

I mean people have been repeating the same shit almost verbatim since the first page. Do people really think this thread has gotten to 22 pages just off the OP alone? Every page is filled with people calling the tweets racist, saying they don't understand it, the hair looks good, the girl was mature, etc. but very few people are reading anything past the first page to see what this topic had evolved into. They're being dismissive and it's getting ridiculous because people are consistently quoting Angelus and trey's posts.

Skyzard

Banned
Personally I wouldn't walk into a thread about male on female domestic violence and argue "men are acting on a history of ingrained cultural norms, and that while it doesn't excuse their actions, it does help explain them. The woman is in no way wrong here, but perhaps if some women were more sensitive to the needs and emotions of men this sort of thing would happen less".

Because that would be ridiculous. Of course it could be argued that the two scenarios are night and day, but not without admitting that you're trying to justify the assault on some level. "I'm not saying this is in any way justified buuuut..."

If by a history of ingrained cultural norms you mean learning from experience as a child then that is useful information to know to help prevent it.

Suggesting that women should adjust and be more sensitive would be a ridiculous solution.

Explaining attitudes to understand issues isn't itself a justification of actions, suggesting that is pretty ignorant.

I mean people have been repeating the same shit almost verbatim since the first page. Do people really think this thread has gotten to 22 pages just off the OP alone? Every page is filled with people calling the tweets racist, saying they don't understand it, the hair looks good, the girl was mature, etc. but very few people are reading anything past the first page to see what this topic had evolved into. They're being dismissive and it's getting ridiculous because people are consistently quoting Angelus and trey's posts.

Why not just start a new thread then? You could write out a post just as quick as your comment. I think a new thread would be a good idea and would steer the conversation into a more precise direction. Just because the thread has evolved into something else doesnt mean that people can no longer express their opinion on the original topic.

Rembrandt

Banned
Why not just start a new thread then? You could write out a post just as quick as your comment. I think a new thread would be a good idea and would steer the conversation into a more precise direction. Just because the thread has evolved into something else doesnt mean that people can no longer express their opinion on the original topic.

It's unnecessary because a lot of those tweets are about what we're discussing.

It's so frustrating watching the majority of black posters agree on something and explain what's going on with such patience, only to have so many people just ignore all of that to call it stupid or pointless or whatever.

Some of you, seriously, just fucking try. Give these subjects at least a few Google searches to help yourself understand. There are issues and situations out there in the world that you don't necessarily know about and probably can't relate to, and that should be a starting point for you to learn instead of discrediting on sight.

Trey

The one person in the OP who called the girl mayo was mean and most probably racist for her comment. Still doesn't change the fact that the meat of the discussion is centered around cultural appropriation, and the thread reflects as much.

I bet if she was an ugly girl and not a pretty one, those people on Twitter wouldn't be criticizing her like this. I suspect plain old jealousy.

They look good on her. Hopefully she keeps them as she rocks them.

All this whites can't do this or that bullshit has got to stop. Whites should t be allowed to do rap/hip hop, whites shouldn't have braids, seriously do yourself a favour and shut the fuck up with that nonsense.

People and their demands are fucking tiring nowadays.

And just for absolute crystal clarity, it goes both ways, if a black person wants to wear their hair straight, rock on. Wanna play a predominantly white sport? Knock yourself out. Your favourite type of music is made by predominantly white people? Bravo.

All it's doing is promoting divide. Which is kinda ironic when the past near 100 years has been about not being divided and everyone being equal.

It's so frustrating watching the majority of black posters agree on something and explain what's going on with such patience, only to have so many people just ignore all of that to call it stupid or pointless or whatever.

Some of you, seriously, just fucking try. Give these subjects at least a few Google searches to help yourself understand. There are issues and situations out there in the world that you don't necessarily know about and probably can't relate to, and that should be a starting point for you to learn instead of discrediting on sight.

I think you are assuming that nobody understands but it could very well be that some do understand what you are saying but still disagree and consider "it stupid or pointless or whatever." But I could be wrong. I'm guilty of not reading the entire thread.

coleco

Maybe they simply disagree.

I think you are assuming that nobody understands but it could very well be that some do understand what you are saying but still disagree and consider "it stupid or pointless or whatever." But I could be wrong. I'm guilty of not reading the entire thread.

They should articulate that instead of "herp derp, cultural appropriation is stupid as are the people who say it. Get over itz! Bunch of jealous losers!"

Then everyone else won't see them as remedial posters who somehow gained access to the internet.

Rembrandt

Banned

Maybe they simply disagree.

If you two are educated about the issue but still disagree, tell us why or are you playing devils advocate?

I think everyone should stick 100% to their cultural heritage. And I mean 100%. So for me, I can incorporate things from Britain and Germany into my life and nothing else. Only struedels, fish & chips and the like for food, no music that isn't from one of the two countries, etc. Everyone needs to stick to their ancestral ties.

I'll try to marry a woman with as diverse a heritage as possible so that my kids will be able to experience more of what's available on this planet without guilt.

coleco

If you two are educated about the issue but still disagree, tell us why or are you playing devils advocate?

I already explained myself in this thread. A kid being attacked online by a few individuals is just that. There's nothing else, even though some may think it's part of the 'cultural appropiation' debate, even if marginally. The kid is not taking anything from anybody and the attackers are not defending any culture, not even in a misguided way.

I also think the 'cultural appropiation' debate is absurd. Culture and ideas have always influenced others, been borrowed or spilled into neighbours, creating more new culture and ideas. It's rare to find new culture coming out of nowhere, there's always a traceable antecedent, even if it's by opposition. This is specially obvious in linguistics or in art, like music, and has been for centuries, and it's the place where I've seen this debate arise recently. Good luck trying to put fences around ideas.

The origins of different art, music, languages, etc. are already set in the past. We already know where and who they originated from. Whatever we do with them today doesn't change or erase that, the merit and work is already set and done.

All this whites can't do this or that bullshit has got to stop. Whites should t be allowed to do rap/hip hop, whites shouldn't have braids, seriously do yourself a favour and shut the fuck up with that nonsense.

And just for absolute crystal clarity, it goes both ways, if a black person wants to wear their hair straight, rock on. Wanna play a predominantly white sport? Knock yourself out. Your favourite type of music is made by predominantly white people? Bravo.

All it's doing is promoting divide. Which is kinda ironic when the past near 100 years has been about not being divided and everyone being equal.

Truth.

Amir0x

Banned

Except black folk don't have that luxury, because they live in a society where the second they leave their door they have to face a billion potential barriers to their health and progress just do many of those same "white cultural activities" that a white individual never has to when that role is reversed.

As a result of this disparity, black folk are necessarily more sensitive to this issue. Why? Trey put it succinctly:

Trey said:
the black community is sensitive to white folks doing particularly "black things," because black people are generally derided for it while the whites who borrow or steal from the culture make a buck off it and are given praise. Rapping is only cool when Macklemore does it. Twerking was trashy until it was a thing Miley Cyrus did.

It contributes to a feeling that black people are tolkenized and not honestly accepted in the wider media and/or American culture, so it leads to defensiveness any time someone white does something most associated with black people. Mostly the criticism is levied toward institutions (magazines, television shows, celebrities) but some individuals catch shit for it as well.

I expanded on the point using a simple example:

Amir0x said:
Let's say you have two kids, one is purple and one is blue. Every day you give the purple kid a special new toy, and once a week you give the blue kid a toy from the dollar store. You allow these kids to interact, so the blue kid realizes that the purple kid is getting a lot more toys than she is.

Then one day, after about three months, you stop giving the blue kid a toy at all, whereas the purple kid just continues to get special toys every single day. The blue kid begins to look at the toys she accumulated - about 12 of them - and starts to create a unique approach to playing with the toys to make them extra special for her. Maybe the blue kid gets creative and starts changing their clothes a certain way, or maybe they invent a special game involving their toys that only the blue kid knows the rules to.

Then let's say one day you put the kids back together and the blue kid casually mentions how much fun she is having with her special toy game, and shares some of the rules of how it works with the purple kid. The next day, the blue kid notices the purple kid has started playing with his toys like she does, and gets pretty upset.

Let's stop here for a moment.

Now, take this out of context. Let's say we just heard that the blue kid had toys and the purple kid had toys, and the blue kid didn't like that the purple kid was playing toys her way. Pretty ridiculous, right?

Now put it into the context of the way it actually was working out for the blue kid. While it's true that it's very "sensitive" and that it's not an ideal way to react, it's necessary to recognize that this is the obvious outcome of a system that is set up the way it was. Society as broken as ours breeds hypersensitivity to issues like this.

So I think rather than condemn what seems silly to us on the surface, we should look at the deeper causes involved and wonder why the reactions are the way they are. What are the root causes? Why? How do we fix it?

Yes, it's quite easy to say "EVERYONE SHOULD NOT BE SENSITIVE ABOUT ANYTHING AND JUST DO WHAT YOU WANT", but the reality is black folk can't just do what they want, while white folk can. White culture consistently degrades black culture for being what it is at the large (including their hair), and then fails to understand when the Black community gets sensitive to white folk suddenly coming in, grabbing a bit of black culture and then saying it's OK.

It's more important to understand why the reaction is the way it is than to simply be reactionary.

Derwind

I did read the thread bud.

So what you're trying to say is that you people read and understood what others have been tirelessly trying to convey on the complexity of the issue at hand without full blown dismissal.

Pardon me but I think I'll choose to remain skeptical of that with all the misinformation being thrown around.

So we all agree that a bunch of twitter trolls telling a middle schooler how she can or can't do her hair need to STFU?

Who knows, maybe perhaps a quick glance through the thread will give you the answer to this question since from the getgo everyone has shitted on said twitter people and called them idiots. To include the "you peoples" that so many love throwing out all willy nilly.

Yet here we are pages upon pages later and we still have the failings of America's education system collectively lumping all black people under the banner of these few twitter idiots while in the very same sentence declaring how bad it is to generalize, stereotype, and how utterly annoyed they are with "white people always being under attack", all the while not feeling the irony slapping them across their face with a roll of quarters.

These same remedial setbacks of society for some reason–that I super totes don't understand–do not paint with the same broad brush in that American Sniper racist twitter, or they avoid that thread altogether for reasons unknown.

I generally do put some effort into understanding why people who are clearly wrong make the arguments they do.

They're still wrong.

As a society we need to come to a swift and firm consensus that what happened to this girl was wrong, and that the twitter trolls responsible really need to STFU.

Amir0x

Banned
I generally do put some effort into understanding why people who are clearly wrong make the arguments they do.

They're still wrong.

Well put in more effort then, you're failing to demonstrate any understanding.

As a society we need to come to a swift and firm consensus that what happened to this girl was wrong, and that the twitter trolls responsible really need to STFU.

Everyone in this topic, pretty much every single poster has said no one should be insulting the girl or anything like that.

We're discussing why the reaction is as sensitive as it is.

Amir0x, I ever tell you that you're one of my favorite posters. Mostly for your gaming side essays but of recent months your bombs of truth in OT.

Stay you sir, stay awesome.

C4Lukins

I think everyone should stick 100% to their cultural heritage. And I mean 100%. So for me, I can incorporate things from Britain and Germany into my life and nothing else. Only struedels, fish & chips and the like for food, no music that isn't from one of the two countries, etc. Everyone needs to stick to their ancestral ties.

I'll try to marry a woman with as diverse a heritage as possible so that my kids will be able to experience more of what's available on this planet without guilt.

So I am German, Russian, Polish Jew. I guess I am limited to hiding from myself from now through eternity.

Chuckie

And again, I'm not talking about the little girl anymore, she can shave her head for all I care. I'm speaking WHY people complain about cultural appropriation. The answer while obvious to me is apparently lost on many people in this thread, as they write about these fictious utopias in which all groups are treated equal and complaining about cultural appropriation is stupid.

The MAIN reason any group ever complains about culture appropriation is because that group feels oppressed. If people want minority groups to stop crying about cultural appropriation the answer is simple. Stop being complacent on how America treats minority groups. If said groups were treated nearly as well as so many people's utopic visions...I doubt this thread would even exist.

The little girl did nothing wrong, the argument of hair being exclusive to one group is dumb. Now divorcing ourselves from this little girl, I'm going to explain to people why some people draw issues with something as insignificant as hairstyles. In America the metric standard of beauty has and still is straight luscious hair. It's the standard that all women are measured at. This is doubly damining toward black females as straight hair is not the natural state of black female hair. The various methods to achieve said hair is scarring and expensive. Every day that idea is reinforced to black women by TV, Music, movies, photos and all other avenues. They're often told their natural hair is "ugly and unkempt", "nappy headed" and that they would look better if they straightened it.

Many black women started embracing hair styles more suitable to their hair, and again are greeted with the same negative attitudes towards it. And for just as long as these women have been ridiculed for their hairstyles; magazines and other avenues pour on accolades when the fairer skinned females do the same thing (Bo Derek as an exampled was lauded for it and many found the style refreshing and new, despite the fact at the same time many establishments and news/media were flat out calling black women who had this hairstyle "ghetto" or "unattractive". Or a better example would be Kylie Jenner or whatever her name is when she rocked half braids or whatever and Vogue or whoever stated it was "brand new, bold, and innovative hair style" rightfully black people, females especially were upset with the statements and the magazine and much less Kylie, in fact most people gave two fucks about Kylie herself and drew issue with the magazine perpetuating the idea that white is right and black is wack.

Or a better example check out that NeoGAF thread on Lupita's hair style, many suggesting she grow it out and straigten it, and many more saying she looks like a boy and her hairstyle is ugly. That is what black women face, that is what America says to black women and their natural hair. Or check the NeoGAF thread about the young African American girl who was expelled from her school for keeping her hair natural and the school telling her to straighten it.

The issue shouldn't be with this little girl, the issue should be and is with how American media views the two groups when they do the same thing and the effect it has on members of each group in how they perceive themselves and how they perceive themselves relative to the other group. Much like you and others don't want people judging this little girl for simply doing box braids, the same needs to be applied to these twitter users. They're not representatives of black culture, yet too many people in here are making damning statements about the culture because of what a few bumfucks stated on NeoGAF and that irony is lost on these posters.

Or to make it relatable to anyone with a drop of empathy. Imagine have two sons/daughters; and they both do the same thing. You constantly praise one for it and insult/demean the other for doing the same thing...what is the expected outcome? How do you think it'll affect how they view not only his/herself and you but also the sibling who has done absolutely nothing wrong. Then you have the mother who doesn't care that this is happening. Obviously in my analogy the sibling in question would most likely realize that father is an asshole and would probably try to shine light on their sibling. This too is done in our society you see those people all the time throughout history, whites who rallied with MLK and did the million man march, those who take part in the #BlackLivesMatter movement. You also have the equivalents of mothers in our society, you know these as the "I don't see race" or "It's not happening to me so who cares" type people. And much like in society, mom and dad's voice and influence is so much more powerful than your siblings and will mark you much more deeply.

At this point, most of us aren't talking about the little girl anymore and we're now talking about American society at large (tends to happen with these threads). We've already had a number of people with the usual "Cultural appropriation is stupid because here is my utopia dream of how we treat each other in the US". and other such nonsense that really should be dismissed but we can't help but respond to such nonsense.

Again, divorce yourself from the little girl because it's no longer about her. I'm no longer talking about her, she is an anchor to none of my posts anymore. She doesn't speak for America at large much like any one black person doesn't speak for African Americans at large.

The girl can do with what she wants with her hair, no one should draw issue with that. People should redirect their anger to the massive cog that is American news, media, employment and how they they view and treat the different groups of people when they do the same thing. It is because of that different treatment that we have the cries of cultural appropriation.

A few posters have made the suggestion that blacks are segregating themselves and that they should be trying to assimilate and this is the best way...these people (bless their hearts) clearly speak from a place of either privilege (trigger word!) or ignorance (double trigger!). Black people have been trying to "assimilate" since they were brought here. Blacks are simply responding to the segregation being afflicted upon them, in order for blacks to segregate themselves you have to put forward the argument that segregation has ended....it really hasn't. Segregation ends when racism ends and racism in this country is far from over.

It was called white flight not black flight, black people have been trying to assimilate for fucking ages, too bad the majority group by large doesn't want said assimilation and passes law after law to disenfranchise, imprison and generally keep blacks in a fucked state out of hatred, fear and stupidity, and what's worse is that so many Americans are completely fine with it, and others even blame black people saying things like "earn it first". Black people have "earned" equality 600x over.

I went on a craaaazy bit of tagents but meh.

TL;DR - No one is talking about the little girl at this point, divorce yourself from her.

This post was really insightful for me as someone who is neither black nor American.
Great post.

I guess I could put more effort in. I spent a good half hour once trying to understand what could lead a man to assault his mother and curse out the police over a South Park episode. I didn't get far with that one, so perhaps I was less inclined to put in similar effort this time around.

All that aside, I understand the argument. It's still bullshit. This is a pretty good opportunity for society to take a stand against a pretty troubling Internet trend. Someone should set up a kick starter to get this girl her braids back.

It's not a battle field to be won. Just a kids head. I really do understand what you guys are saying. I'm not blind to these things.

I genuinely think there is a more positive hair related thread to be made from this though.

Amir0x

Banned
I guess I could put more effort in. I spent a good half hour once trying to understand what could lead a man to assault his mother and curse out the police over a South Park episode. I didn't get far with that one, so perhaps I was less inclined to put in similar effort this time around.

Haha, remarkable demonstration of how weak your argument is. Can't defend your position, try to attack the poster making the arguments. Comically transparent, took place nearly a decade ago, not even an accurate statement to what happened, completely unrelated to the topic.

Try harder.

All that aside, I understand the argument. It's still bullshit. This is a pretty good opportunity for society to take a stand against a pretty troubling Internet trend. Someone should set up a kick starter to get this girl her braids back.

Once again, virtually everyone in this topic has said the way the girl was treated was wrong. We're discussing WHY people are as sensitive as they are to this issue.

Do you have anything actual to contribute or do you want to continue displaying your profound ignorance?

Derwind

I'll sign a written affidavit that I do with reasonable clarity of mind denouced those (how many were they again?) twitter posters that said some rather shitty things about a childs hairstyle and I'll mail that to the collective society of victims of crazy black complaints on twitter. My word should be good enough to speak for all black people right?

Also a quick google search will list you stories about little black girls being threatened with expulsion because their hair is a distraction, you don't have to dig that deep to see the disparity in that issue.

Do you have anything actual to contribute or do you want to continue displaying your profound ignorance?

It pains you not to be a mod anymore, doesn't it? I bet there are a few vestigial synaptic connections in your head that fired up the ban sequence, but nope.

It's counter productive to lump this girl in with the white bigots who call black women's natural hair nappy. She isn't them. Trying to effect the kind of societal change that would eliminate that behavior is a worthy goal. And bigotry is worth being outraged about. But misplaced outrage, however rooted in tangential legitimate causes, is still misplaced.

Finally, the cultural appropriation brigade have been a supreme annoyance on the internet for years now. There are articles by fuckwits about why white people shouldn't wear mocassins, for Christ's sake. It's clear that what happened to this girl is kind of the last straw for a lot of us when it comes to this particular annoyance. You shouldn't be surprised at the stream of posters coming in to express that exact sentiment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Except black folk don't have that luxury, because they live in a society where the second they leave their door they have to face a billion potential barriers to their health and progress just do many of those same "white cultural activities" that a white individual never has to when that role is reversed.

As a result of this disparity, black folk are necessarily more sensitive to this issue. Why? Trey put it succinctly:

Originally Posted by Trey

the black community is sensitive to white folks doing particularly "black things," because black people are generally derided for it while the whites who borrow or steal from the culture make a buck off it and are given praise. Rapping is only cool when Macklemore does it. Twerking was trashy until it was a thing Miley Cyrus did.

It contributes to a feeling that black people are tolkenized and not honestly accepted in the wider media and/or American culture, so it leads to defensiveness any time someone white does something most associated with black people. Mostly the criticism is levied toward institutions (magazines, television shows, celebrities) but some individuals catch shit for it as well.

I realise that I'm going to focus on this specific example, and it is likely there are more subtle or deeper examples that back the point up, but as you quoted it as a good example, I'm going to push back on it.

I disagree entirely that rap is only seen as cool if Macklemore does it. Rap is a style where the majority of performers are black, and white people arguably stand out and are held up to more scrutiny as to whether they are any good or not, because it is not a 'usual' field for white people. That doesn't mean white people have appropriated it at all - literally the opposite.

Frankly the twerking example is poor too. Most people that thought twerking was trashy before, still thought it was trashy when Miley Cyrus did it.

Amir0x

Banned
It pains you not to be a mod anymore, doesn't it? I bet there are a few vestigial synaptic connections in your head that fired up the ban sequence, but nope.

Hahah, jesus christ. You're so ridiculous lol

It's counter productive to lump this girl in with the white bigots who call black women's natural hair nappy. She isn't them. Trying to effect the kind of societal change that would eliminate that behavior is a worthy goal. And bigotry is worth being outraged about. But misplaced outrage, however rooted in tangential legitimate causes, is still misplaced.

Finally, the cultural appropriation brigade have been a supreme annoyance on the internet for years now. There are articles by fuckwits about why white people shouldn't wear mocassins, for Christ's sake. It's clear that what happened to this girl is kind of the last straw for a lot of us when it comes to this particular annoyance. You shouldn't be surprised at the stream of posters coming in to express that exact sentiment.

It's not about white bigotry in regards to the girl. NO ONE is lumping her in with them. Again, for review.

1. Almost everyone said it was fucked up people were insulting this girl.
2. Almost everyone said it's clear the girl had no ill will. Further some of has have said that this subject is sufficiently complex that nobody should be insulting anyone over it even if she was of age. Since you read the thread (lol), I'm sure this post from me ITT won't be surprising:

Amir0x said:
yeah i think most of us can agree the girl is hardly at fault, and that it's open to interpretation of a subject enough that nobody should be actively attacking her even if she was of age. It's a complicated subject.

*gasp*

3. We're discussing for many pages now why so many in the black community are sensitive to any perceived attempts at "cultural appropriation."

It is more important to understand the root causes, because if you really want to see an end to this type of reaction - and who doesn't? - then we need to understand what the source of the anger is and how to fix it.

Again, it's easy for any person to come in and say "you guys should stop being hyper sensitive, it's wrong!" What's less easy to understand where the reactions come from, why they occur, and how we can fix it.

Edit: Heading off to work now.

Irminsul

We're discussing why the reaction is as sensitive as it is.
I guess then I just don't understand what the end goal here is. To be a bit blunt, it's great the people reacting to the girl's hair have reasons for this. I mean, the alternative would be they're just trolling, and I don't think anyone ever assumed that.

Okay, it might explain why the reactions were a bit harsh. Now what? I, even with now knowing that this issue has a certain history to it, still think the girl is the wrong addressee, and as far as I see no one disagrees. So what does understanding the issue accomplish here? That there is such a thing as institutionalised racism? You don't say.

Anything about the girl should be a moot point too, because, as many said, it isn't really about her.

As I said, I really don't see the end goal. Even when understanding what the issue behind the hair style is.

Derwind

Then the right thing to do is go after those people, and stop trying to censor people by claiming "culture appropriation" over a hairstyle.

Do you feel victimized over the word? And who said anything about censoring a hairstyle, I've noticed a glaring pattern with threads that discuss anything about issues involving the Black community and its the projection of frustration from people that arent affected or don't care about the issue foaming at the mouth the moment they hear of any sort of dispairity in the treatment of people of low and high melanin.

Also, why are we talking about white people only? I've seen Mexicans with afros, and cornrows, and I've seen Asians that try to 'act white'. I mean, why are we always going after the white people?

Again with the victimization, white people don't have anything to do with it, what is bothersome is that for centuries the default has been Eurocentric and White, everything else didn't hold the same weight. Everthing had to and to a degree still has to conform to that standard. Thats not a thing against White people per say, nothing about it suggests that being white is somehow wrong or that wearing box braids as someone whose white is wrong.

Even with the whole "white male cisgender" thing I've seen going around. Why is the white race the only target? That sort of stuff really bothers me. If we're gonna talk about culture appropriation and privilege, at least even the field a little. Everyone's guilty of this. And this only seems to happen in the US? I'm not trying to be a dick, but come on.

My point is, there are better things to go after than this. It just seems so misguided to me.

I can see you're not trying to be a dick but I honestly don't know what more I can say.

Also this doesn't just happen in the US but given the US size, population, pockets of diversity and history,I think its a great social experiment on how a society can function and dysfunction and the many aspects (I hate saying this phrase) race relations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom