• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House orders agencies to ignore Democrats’ oversight requests

Buckle

It's actually incredible how much Trump has exposed how shaky the foundations of our democracy are.
Yep.

People take too much for granted here. They think America can't fall to pieces or isn't susceptible to tyranny like other countries and become complacent or apathetic (the mentality of thinking things can't get that bad) but you can easily see the GOP paving the way for it.

theWB27

Right? This is literally obstruction on all fronts by a party that only knows how to deny answers to their constituents as they fuck them over and hide or block any inquiries as to why. I'm fine saying dems are weak on some issues but the larger problem for them is an opposition that singly seeks to stop accountability for their heinous actions.

The funny thing is it's been going on since January and we're still getting leaks on how incompetent the administration and GOP are. They (administration/GOP) have been trying to quiet the noise around how truly incompetent they are and it's still getting out.

At this point...a republican voter can't say a positive thing about their party without it being bullshit.

Mahonay

Banned
Yep.

People take too much for granted here. They think America can't fall to pieces or isn't susceptible to tyranny like other countries and become complacent or apathetic (the mentality of thinking things can't get that bad) but you can easily see the GOP paving the way for it.
Yep. This is a hard lesson being learned for some people that both sides are DEFINITELY NOT equally bad. Dems aren't perfect but Jesus fuck the don't be so dense.

Nah. We gotta keep a level head

Who is "we"? Trump supporters or liberals? Because someone is going to lose this fight; are they going to keep a level head witnessing what they think is the death of American democracy? Would we be "level-headed" witnessing Trump stripping all power from the courts? Because that's how it will feel to Trump supporters if he's impeached. I have very little hope for a positive outcome from this. I'm just thankful I live in a wildly liberal place where I only have to worry about people being stabbed to death on public transit defending religious minorities from bigots... well fuck.

Yep.

I mean, there was literally a post yesterday or maybe a few days ago where a gaffer confidently (and kind of condescendingly) told people to calm down about the idea of the breakdown of democracy. That "justice would be served" or "The American system can withstand Trump" type stuff. Yet it's actions like these one after another after another that show it can break down if it is literally allowed to by the other branches meant to supply the checks and balances. If not a single person or a majority in our current government isn't willing to say, "the president shouldn't utilize his power like this", then bits of the "invincible" American system get shaved away again and again.

Democracy was shown to be shaky when people were warping county lines and trying to weasel in voter suppression initiatives from even around the civil rights era and earlier but we never went far enough to plug up the holes. Now unfeeling and relentless people have control of almost everything and are warping democracy to their whims and even more terrifyingly simply for the sake of turning it into a weapon to reward themselves and harm the citizens.

ReAxion

taking solace in the fact that dems will immediately pardon all these criminals after they retire (read: not voted out).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Again: this guy thinks he can run the country like a business.

Surfinn

Who is "we"? Trump supporters or liberals? Because someone is going to lose this fight; are they going to keep a level head witnessing what they think is the death of American democracy? Would we be "level-headed" witnessing Trump stripping all power from the courts? Because that's how it will feel to Trump supporters if he's impeached. I have very little hope for a positive outcome from this. I'm just thankful I live in a wildly liberal place where I only have to worry about people being stabbed to death on public transit defending religious minorities from bigots... well fuck.

We as in people who care about rights/power of the people. Trump's term isn't forever. He's done at max 8 years (which I seriously don't think he will have). We will get through this. There doesn't have to be civil war. Just vote, call, meet up, do what you can.. stay positive and wait this out while being active.

Dems will come out swinging when the time is right. We have to continue to have patience in these trying times, as hard as that may be to do.

Pbae

Weekly reminder that the entire republican party needs to be dismantled and demolished.

This can't be said enough.

I think we've gotten past the whole "Both Parties are the Same." The Republican party is a treasonous hate entity that only has it's investors (lobbyist) interests in mind.

They have systematically used governance to increase a divisive narrative, neuter the rights of the American people, and devalue our countries assets and diplomatic gains.

And it shows. They have a super majority, yet they still can't govern properly all the while willfully forgetting their own damning criticism of when Democrats were in charge.

They stand for nothing and all they have is a false facade of superiority, be it in terms of boot straps or morale enlightenment. It's no wonder that the disillusioned and desperate are so keen on taking up their mantle.

Even the "Good Ones," like Graham and McCain show their true partisanship agenda while spouting patriotic buzzwords like it would somehow mask the true intent of their actions or party. And representatives like McCain have no obligation because this is his LAST FUCKING TERM, yet he still falls in line. What a piece of ancient shit.

This whole party is a lost cause because it's institutionally corrupt at its base level.

qwyaX75.png

:(

Morat

Banned
So when do the failsafes kick in? At what point does the system defend itself against this kind of attack?.

charsace

We are really losing badly to Russia right now. Too bad a large portion of the country are not willing to accept that we are in another cold war.

Top Bottom