• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House Press Briefing: Facts are demoralizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've been brainwashed by Breitbart, LifeZette and other conservative outlets to simply swallow everything they get told in good faith and to dismiss any other sources as fake and non-genuine. And they believe this solely on the measure of good faith because they've done the same thing with their church their entire lives.

Critical thinking is - apparently - the ultimate sin. And it's a sin - because once people partake in it - they realize the Republican messaging is largely horseshit that has no basis in reality.

This is what doesn't make any sense to me. My family is intensely religious. Like you said, we've been in church from my earliest memory. Not just in church, but actively involved in it.

Yet my father and mother have, almost unreasonably at times, demanded critical thinking and problem solving strategies from myself and each of their 4 other children. My dad is constantly trying to challenge us, inform us, probe us, on our thoughts about our lives as citizens, students, Christians, etc.

Maybe it's because my folks are from the Caribbean that this is different. I'm sure there have to be Americans like this too.

Biske

They've been brainwashed by Breitbart, LifeZette and other conservative outlets to simply swallow everything they get told in good faith and to dismiss any other sources as fake and non-genuine. And they believe this solely on the measure of good faith because they've done the same thing with their church their entire lives.

Critical thinking is - apparently - the ultimate sin. And it's a sin - because once people partake in it - they realize the Republican messaging is largely horseshit that has no basis in reality.

True... I forget that these are the same people who when Trump takes credit for a couple thousand jobs from AT&T or whoever, go nuts and claim how he has already brought more jobs back than Obama ever did. (People like my parents firmly believe this)

As if, even if its true, a few thousand jobs isn't going to turn the tide or change how businesses work.

On the flip side though, we also live in a country and world where "go to college, get a degree and you'll get that awesome job" is thrown about like its the solution, when old uneducated me has very often worked right along people with bachelors and masters degrees, still working the same shit jobs, but with massive student loans.

How long, are we all going to be running in circles after the carrots dangled in front of us?

Thinking of all this gives me no hope for humanity. The fact that we just elected Trump and get to watch press briefings spinning bullshit everyone knows is bullshit, is just icing on the cake.

This is what doesn't make any sense to me. My family is intensely religious. Like you said, we've been in church from my earliest memory. Not just in church, but actively involved in it.

Yet my father and mother have, almost unreasonably at times, demanded critical thinking and problem solving strategies from myself and each of their 4 other children. My dad is constantly trying to challenge us, inform us, probe us, on our thoughts about our lives as citizens, students, Christians, etc.

Maybe it's because my folks are from the Caribbean that this is different. I'm sure there have to be Americans like this too.
Ideology trumps intelligence and reason. My dad is the same way. Taught me to always do research, check sources, and seek out evidence and facts on an issue before forming an opinion. When I was young, we'd do logic word problems and puzzles to teach me how to think critically.

And yet he thinks he needs to protect me and my brother from the liberal propaganda in schools and college, and only trusts Fox News and right-wing radio. Just this morning he made a "joke" about how liberal professors are teaching students to hate America.

Climate change is a hoax because he read "studies" that said so, and any studies that say the opposite are biased or are part of the liberal agenda

Facts, statistics, methodology, etc. don't matter.

BahamutPT

All the trash and lies shouldn't be buried in an OT

Of course not, but not every single lie (and there will be too many, if these first days are any indication) will be deserving of its own thread. (They are not less important than the others, don't get me wrong, but I'm talking about those "small" lies)
Bigger stories should still get a spin-off while this thread is kept as a reminder that these briefings exist and are important, now more than ever.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Yeah, I don't think religion is fundamentally the problem, but it is true that some religious organizations teach with a very authoritarian style where they ruthlessly squash any questions and critical thought. I've seen this happen to people before and those people just completely turn off their brains once they reach a certain subject matter.

At the same time, I've seen other religious organizations (sometimes teaching either the same or very similar religions) doing the opposite, where they actively encourage questions and critical thought. People from this camp will happily debate their religion with you instead of getting angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom