• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else ever used Jamendo (and similar sites)? Bands you like there?

Myriadis

I just decided to go through my music library to listen to stuff I haven't in a while and I just rediscovered my Jamendo folder, which I created five or six years ago and for a few weeks I spent several hours on this site back then. Right now I had about 35 different artists and 560 songs on this list and relistening to them after so many years I still like quite a lot.

What I really like there is that bands on these sites which put their music out for free like to experiment quite a bit, after all they don't have the pressure from labels behind them. Of course that also means that the mixing isn't always great and they tend to be weaker in certain parts, mostly vocals. Still, quite a few bands that I actually consider great.

Now I'm a vinyl and cd-collector and would even pay for some vinyls and cds but most of the bands that played back then are now completely impossible to find aside from the site where their music is hosted.

So, have you ever used sites like Jamendo and what else there is? And which bands did or still do you like?

Personal favorites:
Of The I, alternative rock with progressive rock elements
Basement Skylights - Ambient/Instrumental Hip-Hop
Flat People - Indiepop with psychedlic influences. Jay Borsky is my favorite there
La Galago - Indiesque something, don't really know. Surprised that they released something new six years later
The Shark Bubbles - Psychedelic Rock with sometimes atonal harmonies, kinda weird but for some reason has a special place in my heart. I found out today that they live(d?) in a city very close to me.
My Bubba & Mi - Indie Folk. Actually, this band is quite well known now, even having played ion KEXP and NPR.

Thinking about it, there's so much music out there in general it's crazy.

Belker

I used to use Jamendo for intro and outro music for free-to-use music my podcast. I didn't like the idea of having a theme tune, so every show started and finished with a different track.

After a while the website changed and I couldn't figure which songs were licensed in what way.

After that I needed a new source and found ccmixter.org. Used too many tracks to mention, so don't have any obvious recommendations.

Top Bottom