• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here is a business owner or is self employed

Status
Not open for further replies.

vangace

I am graduating this summer with a degree in finance and i was just looking at how much i wil probably make. Its not much, considering i will to repay my loans, bills and stuff. So maybe starting my own shit might be right way to go. So for those who are business owners, what business are you into and how did you get started. :D

Why didn't you ask for a finished business plan while you're at it?

Seriously dude, if you're asking for ideas on GAF, you're not ready to go at it alone. Try to get into a consultancy type firm like PriceWaterhouse, EDS, or Accenture, they hire finance types and they set you up pretty well to running your own business...

vangace

Amused_To_Death said:
Why didn't you ask for a finished business plan while you're at it?

Seriously dude, if you're asking for ideas on GAF, you're not ready to go at it alone. Try to get into a consultancy type firm like PriceWaterhouse, EDS, or Accenture, they hire finance types and they set you up pretty well to running your own business...

No i am not asking for ideas, just trying to get a sense. Whats with the hostility :)

My dad used to be a business owner in the executive search firm before ironically, he was recruited himself to a more lucrative job. He still has his search firm, though, and will help out friends in the city who need some placements and what not.

It's tough to get everything up and running. Thankfully, he left his old job in high regard and was able to keep a lot of clients.

vangace said:
No i am not asking for ideas, just trying to get a sense. Whats with the hostility :)

You didn't give us any details on what you plan to do, what ideas you have, and a good reason for starting a business other than "It might pay better than my finance degree..."

Look, It takes capital to start a business and keep it running. There's some kind of statistic that 90% of all small businesses fail within the first year. There's a reason for this, under-capitalization, limited resources, and the sheer magnitude of work that's involved in getting something up and going. The odds are against you, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. Check out the Small Business Development Center near you, they might be able to help you out.

http://www.sba.gov/sbdc/

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom