• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd of today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chony

Where is the music that unites an entire generation, something will stand the test of time? What new music is like this around today? Granted there is some good new music, most of it is forgotton by the next year.

Diablos

Chony said:
Where is the music that unites an entire generation, something will stand the test of time? What new music is like this around today? Granted there is some good new music, most of it is forgotton by the next year.

The Beatles: Umm... dunno.
Led Zeppelin: Again, no idea.
Pink Floyd: Radiohead.

Mason

I think the Pink Floyd of our generation is The Dandy Warhols. Just listen to their music in the state of mind most people listen to Pink Floyd and it will all make sense.

Matlock

Banned
7na.gif

Diablos

Cyan said:
I think we won't know until it's too late.

What I do know is that Radiohead ain't it.

Please. They sound very similar in some ways and it's obvious that the band has had a huge influence on Radiohead. I know countless others have, too -- but none of them even show it. Radiohead does, but in their own kind of way - it's not like they are trying to rip them off. If Pink Floyd was a band today, I'd bet you that they would sound very close to Radiohead. It's more about how the bands approach their music... not how identical they sound. Approach and technique. Not sound.

Alucard

Banned
U2. I will be 60 years old and still feeling the same things I feel now when I listen to songs like 'with or without you' and 'all i want is you'. I think of all the bands today, U2 is probably the most widely acclaimed, aside from Radiohead.

Mugen

Banned
Beatles - ridiculously popular and loved by ALL.

NOTHING.

Led Zepellin - rockin band.

put current garage band here.

Pink Floyd - critic favorite.

I agree with Radiohead on this one.

FnordChan

Can't say that I'm a fan of Radiohead, but you can't deny that they're damned popular. The Pink Floyd comparison is terrific. If anyone was the successor to Led Zeppelin - blues rock - it would be the White Stripes, but it doesn't look like they're going to have Led Zep's staying power. However, I think we've got a pretty good Beatles analogue: the Beastie Boys. Their early songs were fairly straightforward, they've recorded in a wide variety of styles, and at least one band member is obessed by the East...or, at least, Tibet. And, while not as universally popular as the Beatles, they're pretty damn popular. Survey says?

FnordChan

" it would be the White Stripes, but it doesn't look like they're going to have Led Zep's staying power"

If people would pay more attention to The Black Keys, they could be up there.

karasu

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft Comparing The White Stripes to Led Zeppelin is cause for caneing. The Black Keyes own them, but I still wouldn't consider them a modern Zeppelin. There is no modern Zeppelin IMO, it's impossible with today's 3 minute bitch rock full of noise and no solos.

Pink Floyd - The Mars Volta (kinda early to say, I know)

The Beatles- haha Maroon 5

karasu

Cool said:
FIRST U2, NOW MAROON 5, DOES THE GAMING AGE FORUM HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR THE BEATLES? GEEZ!

haha. I only said it because they actually play their instruments, get lot of inspiration from R&B, and chicks love them.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Cool said:
Pretty Together is a good album, but the most Beatlesque one is Navy Blues:

navy-blues.gif

and a damn good album at that.
I have not heard it to be honest. Last album I have is Navy Blues, and all the ones prior.

Seems So Heavy= I Want You

Who is the Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd of today?

Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd are they bands of the past, today, and future.

=W=

Sloan has some good tunes, but comparing them to the Beatles? :/

A friend of mine said The Shins remind her of the Beatles, but she was only talking about aesthetically, not in persona or influence of course. But if this were a just world, they would be as popular.

Kon Tiki

Banned
=W= said:
Sloan has some good tunes, but comparing them to the Beatles? :/

A friend of mine said The Shins remind her of the Beatles, but she was only talking about aesthetically, not in persona or influence of course. But if this were a just world, they would be as popular.

Well noone will ever match the beatles. It is more like, what band carrries the spirt of the beatles today.

Cool

Dude, holy shit, Sloan is so much more Beatlesque than the Shins. I think the Shins are really overrated.

I don't know, I tend to byistly love Sloan. Navy Blues is just so good, and so Beatlesque but in an original way.

"Seems So Heavy" is a great song. YES.

I have not heard it to be honest. Last album I have is Navy Blues, and all the ones prior.

All the albums after Navy Blues really aren't as good, but man, the pre-Navy Blues stuff is great too, One Chord to Another and Twice Removed! Holy Shit! Oh man, I shouldn't even started on Sloan! Damn!

"Everything You've Done Wrong" from One Chord To Another reminds me of "Got To Get You Into My Life" by the Beatles.

But it's not like a blatant Beatles rip off, it's such a good Beatles influence, and the whole band is good at songwriting and all amazingly talented vocalists/musicians.

Shinobi

Cool said:
No. No way. I just don't see it.

I like the band Sloan. Perhaps the modern Canadian Beatles?

You don't see U2, but you mention Sloan? :lol

U2's obviously the closest we've got to the Beatles in terms of popularity and longevity...I don't know how this is even debatable.

justin timberlake should be considered a musical god if his next CD is only HALF as good as his first effort.

LETTS TAKE A RIIDEEEE

CRY ME A RIVER...

*GONE* (song that gained him recognition in the all so important eyes of me)

Cool

Shinobi said:
You don't see U2, but you mention Sloan? :lol

U2's obviously the closest we've got to the Beatles in terms of popularity and longevity...I don't know how this is even debatable.

Well, there's so many aspects of comparison. Sloan mostly in physical apperance and sound, and perhaps U2 for the reasons you mention.

Substance

Longevity? The last great 'U2' album came from 1991 with 'Achtung Baby.' I think U2 is a good band, but the quality mold just doesn't fit with the Beatles. For the Beatles of Today to exist, find me a magical band not only the most popular in what they do, but also the best in their respective art.
I always considered Pixies to carry the groundbreaking spirit and giddy fun of the Beatles. Bono would even say that since he enlisted the band to open for them in 1991 tour, and is a fan. But overall Pixies lasted a short four years with little public exposure. And even their best songs aren't a match for the Beatles (though that's not what we're discussing)
The only conclusion I can make is Radiohead as the current 'Pink Floyd'. Albums such as 'Hail to the Thief' don't receive outright praise from this community but the sheer complexity of the music will be valued in the RH canon, similar to what happened with 'Meddle'. Each album, I can just tell, will be unique to fans. Actually, no, shit, haha, how could I forget Pablo Honey... excuse those remarks. Radiohead are nonetheless very similar in texture, and lyrical points, to Pink Floyd. And they have the quality and impact to affirm and justify this comparison.

Nothing. I have a theory on this. I think that after Nirvana and the whole Seattle thing blew up, the record industry became so afraid of not being on the "forefront" of whatever the next big thing was, that they started to pounce on anything and everything with any little ounce of being huge. this is why you see bands like the Darkness and the Strokes get so much hype and magazine covers and pub before releasing a single album. I mean, for all the hype bands like those got for being the "next big thing", have either of their albums even gone platinum? MTV/Rollingstone/Spin shove these guys down everyone's throats that we get sick of them before they even get a chance to hit their primes.

Shinobi

enjoy bell woods said:
U2 sounds dated. U2 will sound more dated in 10 years. U2's current output will suck worse than their output 20 years ago.

U2 sucks.

:lol

Look, as far as longevity goes, people still talk about Autchung Baby or The Josuha Tree as some of the best albums ever. The singles they made during that time sound as good now as they did back then. And compare it to the sea of music that was made during that era (or hell, the last five years), and you see that's hard to come by. And it's kinda unfair to talk about U2's prime "only" being ten years, considering the Beatles weren't even together for that long (what was their album recording period, '63 to '70?).

It's all about how long the songs from that era stay on, if they stay on at all. 20 years from now they'll still be playing Unforgettable Fire on the radio (if that's still around), either following or preceding A Hard Day's Night, Black Dog and Comfortably Numb. And that's all the thread was asking. I'm not convinced the same will be said for some of the other bands mentioned.

And like it or not, U2's still got tremendous selling power, and are one of the few rock gigs left that can sellout stadiums at a moments notice. That also weighs heavily on in the discussion. Otherwise I'd be throwing out the name of any classic rock band still making music, regardless of the selling power being minimal compared to their prime.

Gribbix

Leon said:
Wayne Coyne as a vocalist is a fucking disaster.

I think he sounds great. However, I do remember downloading quite a few live bootlegs and Wayne did sound pretty bad on a few of them, though when I saw him in person, he and the rest of the band sounded excellent. Perhaps I just downloaded some shows on his off nights?

Ninja Scooter said:
Nothing. I have a theory on this. I think that after Nirvana and the whole Seattle thing blew up, the record industry became so afraid of not being on the "forefront" of whatever the next big thing was, that they started to pounce on anything and everything with any little ounce of being huge. this is why you see bands like the Darkness and the Strokes get so much hype and magazine covers and pub before releasing a single album. I mean, for all the hype bands like those got for being the "next big thing", have either of their albums even gone platinum? MTV/Rollingstone/Spin shove these guys down everyone's throats that we get sick of them before they even get a chance to hit their primes.
IAWTP

Peter Andre
And this man know what hes talking about. Add our Kylie and our Jet to the mix and we got this game on lock.

etiolate

Banned

I can see this. Now they've ended up pushing a bunch of different 'movements' at once and you got emo, numetal, indie(strokes stuff I guess) and whatever comes along. Plus, they got obsessed with pushing singles instead of albums.

I think I am enjoying The Shins so much, because they get no airplay locally and as such I have not been overkilled with any of their songs.

dem said:
Led Zeppelin = Smashing Pumpkins

Hah, that's what the Pitchfork reviewer of MCIS said. I dislike Pitchfork but I kind of agree...the Pumpkins are probably more diverse in their recordings though...actually wait, I don't really see the correlation at all, other then them both being fucking awesome bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom