• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who makes sense as the next CEO of SIE?

Who makes sense as the next CEO

• Total voters
Hulst is not under consideration. He's a game developer that rose to leading a studio and then a group of studios.

He has no experience of marketing, M&A, corporate synergy etc.

I do wonder why Shawn Layden was fired. With him, Tretton, House and now Ryan out there aren't serious contenders. At least having a head for SIEA, SIEE and SIEJ gave people the experience before the big job.

bitbydeath

200.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One thing I would like is for them to get better Playstation TVs and monitors. Mainly TVs that have more than 2 HDMI 2.1 ports using the shitty mediaTEK controller card. Inzone I9 monitor was a good start, but I'd love to see them make their own QD-OLED monitor.

oh..wait this is about SIE

Someone with ties to Japan Studios. A japanese head wouldn't be a bad idea.

If Sony were to say buy Capcom... Urata might make a lot of sense.

Immediately gives you Monster Hunter/Monster Hunter Online/Mobile

Resident Evil is huge right now. They could probably do a Resident Evil TV show.

You can give Insomniac access to Mega Man and Sucker Punch access to Onimusha.

You get Street Fighter for Evo and Hideaki Itsuno could make Sony a real smash competitor in the style of Power Stone.
Hulst is not under consideration. He's a game developer that rose to leading a studio and then a group of studios.

I do wonder why Shawn Layden was fired. With him, Tretton, House and now Ryan out there aren't serious contenders. At least having a head for SIEA, SIEE and SIEJ gave people the experience before the big job.

I think Hulst would still be under consideration. Ken Kutaragi was an engineer who didn't have any experience in any of those things before getting the nod. Different time, yes, but Hulst is recognized as pretty high up in the company and even sits on Bungie's board along with Lempel.

Shawn Layden didn't get the head job and that is why he was out. Jack Tretton oversaw the largest failure in PlayStation history, while Jim Ryan kept PlayStation afloat in Europe. Andrew House left at the top of his game and largely so is Jim Ryan.

You don't need to be a regional head in order to get the necessary experience any of the SVPs that aren't HR, IT, or Legal could feasibly step up.

The way things are structured now, the SVPs run things largely out of California, but they're still responsible for divisions globally. And then Urata is the equivalent of President of SCEJ.

The reality is this structure actually makes a lot more sense than what they had before and is a more modern approach. With all the regions Sony is building in, you can't have a President/CEO of each region. That's expensive and exhausting because they all still have to report up to CEO of SIE and work with the individual departments.

One thing I would like is for them to get better Playstation TVs and monitors. Mainly TVs that have more than 2 HDMI 2.1 ports using the shitty mediaTEK controller card. Inzone I9 monitor was a good start, but I'd love to see them make their own QD-OLED monitor.

oh..wait this is about SIE

Someone with ties to Japan Studios. A japanese head wouldn't be a bad idea.

Expand on that and explain why ties to Japan would strengthen SIE despite Japan shrinking as a game market with the rest of the world growing exponentially...

Like I said, not sure that Eric is the person for the job.

He was the head of PlayStation Network since 2015 and has basically been in charge of the PlayStation Store since 2013. And he's basically "the guy".

I'm not sure that he has an MBA.

That's where I think Lin Tao has him beat. She is Japanese and she is herself a CFO with an MBA. Totoki could favor her.
Lin Tao is japanese? That name doesn't sound japanese to me lol. It's chinese name.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Resident Evil is huge right now. They could probably do a Resident Evil TV show.

You get Street Fighter for Evo and Hideaki Itsuno could make Sony a real smash competitor in the style of Power Stone.
only one of these suggestions that will actually happen, unfortunately.

Someone who isn't afraid of upsetting Naughty Dog and telling them to release some fucking games.
This really has to stop.

They released a major work 3 years ago. Since then they've remade TLOUP1 and ported Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy to PS5.

No other studio is held to some higher standard.

Like please name me all of these studios that put out a major game in 2020 or later and have produced another major game since.

I think Hulst would still be under consideration. Ken Kutaragi was an engineer who didn't have any experience in any of those things before getting the nod. Different time, yes, but Hulst is recognized as pretty high up in the company and even sits on Bungie's board along with Lempel.

Shawn Layden didn't get the head job and that is why he was out. Jack Tretton oversaw the largest failure in PlayStation history, while Jim Ryan kept PlayStation afloat in Europe. Andrew House left at the top of his game and largely so is Jim Ryan.

You don't need to be a regional head in order to get the necessary experience any of the SVPs that aren't HR, IT, or Legal could feasibly step up.

The way things are structured now, the SVPs run things largely out of California, but they're still responsible for divisions globally. And then Urata is the equivalent of President of SCEJ.

The reality is this structure actually makes a lot more sense than what they had before and is a more modern approach. With all the regions Sony is building in, you can't have a President/CEO of each region. That's expensive and exhausting because they all still have to report up to CEO of SIE and work with the individual departments.

Layden was told he was fired and was walked out with security with no notice.

Tretton didn't oversee anything bad - under his watch the US division and studios had a resurgence.

Layden was told he was fired and was walked out with security with no notice.

Tretton didn't oversee anything bad - under his watch the US division and studios had a resurgence.
He was there the entire time the ps3 underperformed in the us.

He was walked out according to whom? Provocateur David Jaffe?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
In all these conversations, people conflate the role of head of the division and head of studios. Jim Ryan's job and Hermen Hulst's jobs are very different.

Maybe it's time for you to explore yourself and your own obsession with this.

Do I like a lot of the narrative choices in the games? No, but they don't bother me nor do I harp on them.

Sony's games have never sold better and PlayStation has never sold better, so keep telling yourself this has damaged the PS image or that hype has really gone down.

Maybe realize that the average consumer has never heard of E3 and the average consumer sees these storylines and either doesn't care or they actually like them, because again, sales are higher than they've ever been.
Thanks, did some exploration of myself and found out the problem was me, not Sony.

Shawn Layden was also a "studio guy" who didn't have experience in many of those other functions.

He was fired because he was probably better as a studio guy than as a leader

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Expand on that and explain why ties to Japan would strengthen SIE despite Japan shrinking as a game market with the rest of the world growing exponentially...
I trust that someone from Japan would be better focused on making better games and less on trying to make GaAS and microtransaction infested games.

I trust that someone from Japan would be better focused on making better games and less on trying to make GaAS and microtransaction infested games.

Japan wants the most growth and operating income possible... So yeah, they want MTX and GaaS.

There is a reason why Square Enix was looking at NFTs... this myth that Japan is gaming purity is laughable. When you stop and think about it, people actually hate most Japanese companies.

Square Enix - lazy ports/remasters, emo characters, NFTs
Konami - Need I say more
Capcom - Killed Mega Man and basically any old franchise not named Street Fighter or Resident Evil, but also how many times will they release the same Street Fighter game
Sega - Super greedy with Atlus games
Namco Bandai - Basically the Ubi Soft of Japan

Let's keep pretending that they are golden

poodaddy

Yeezy.

Every Playstation Direct would be absolutely wild.

EDIT: Playstation Showcase haha. Still true.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Like I said, not sure that Eric is the person for the job.

He was the head of PlayStation Network since 2015 and has basically been in charge of the PlayStation Store since 2013. And he's basically "the guy".

I'm not sure that he has an MBA.

That's where I think Lin Tao has him beat. She is Japanese and she is herself a CFO with an MBA. Totoki could favor her.
An MBA means nothing, we need to stop this in society

Katajx

Gold Member
Japan wants the most growth and operating income possible... So yeah, they want MTX and GaaS.

There is a reason why Square Enix was looking at NFTs... this myth that Japan is gaming purity is laughable. When you stop and think about it, people actually hate most Japanese companies.

Square Enix - lazy ports/remasters, emo characters, NFTs
Konami - Need I say more
Capcom - Killed Mega Man and basically any old franchise not named Street Fighter or Resident Evil, but also how many times will they release the same Street Fighter game
Sega - Super greedy with Atlus games
Namco Bandai - Basically the Ubi Soft of Japan

Let's keep pretending that they are golden
People aren’t saying they are golden. They are saying they offer different experiences. We want more than cinematic, narrative driven experiences.

ABnormal

I would only be happy with Yoshida being at the helm of WWS, but he is too low on position for it to be possible.

But what a great thing would be having one who actually understands and love games, and who actually knows what gamers love.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont care...I really dont, all I want from Sony to bring back more interesting quirky first party games we used to get.

An MBA means nothing, we need to stop this in society

I take it you don't have an MBA.

Having an MBA means a lot. It means that you studied a wide range of business foundations. That you otherwise wouldn't get in a sole concentration.

This is what allows an executive to work in hand with marketing, operations, legal, human resources, product, logistics e.t.c.

To suggest otherwise is the height of Dunning Kruger.

tmlDan

I take it you don't have an MBA.

Having an MBA means a lot. It means that you studied a wide range of business foundations. That you otherwise wouldn't get in a sole concentration.

This is what allows an executive to work in hand with marketing, operations, legal, human resources, product, logistics e.t.c.

To suggest otherwise is the height of Dunning Kruger.
I actually do, it was a waste of time and money. You're outlining it like you read it in a university pamphlet.

My point is that you don't need it as often at all anymore, it's a silly requirement that means nothing of someone's skill in the profession. I work alongside others with MBA's and they're dumb as shit, it means nothing and companies need to stop catering to the money laundering scheme an MBA is.

I've worked in tech, marketing management, data analytics (now in marketing analysis and analytics) - the smartest people I have worked with are the ones without a piece of paper.

Top Bottom