• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who reads video game manuals?

ge-man

I do once in awhile. Like some have said, most stuff in a manual is explained in the game, making the format almost obsolete. The last few manuals I really read were for the Wario games because they're entertaining in themselves.

Teddman

I used to read them cover-to-cover, but I stopped. Today's emphasis on plot in many games can lead to a manual full of spoilers. I don't always want to know what characters will join my party, what cool weapons and gameplay awaits, what levels are ahead, and what enemies/bosses I'm going to face.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Teddman said:
I used to read them cover-to-cover, but I stopped. Today's emphasis on plot in many games can lead to a manual full of spoilers. I don't always want to know what characters will join my party, what cool weapons and gameplay awaits, what levels are ahead, and what enemies/bosses I'm going to face.
This is true, and it's something I wish developers would be more careful of. I really like reading manuals, and I don't want to have to stop because too many games are getting spoiled for me.

NotMSRP

I just skim them once. You'll basically figure out the controls anyway while playing.

Color/B&W manuals just reflect the company's attitude toward the product and toward the consumer. B&W manuals leave the impression that they just don't give a damn, and, in turn, I don't give a damn about the company. So either no money for them or very little money for them. Cheapass for cheapass.

Kobun Heat said:
I used to. Nowadays I rarely do - games pretty much all have tutorial modes and such built in so it's no longer necessary. I'll generally read through the manual if it's a game I'm anticipating though.

drohne said:
almost never - in-game tutorials have made them redundant. i'll usually flip through them to look at the art, though. when i was a kid, i'd read manuals on the car ride home. in anticipation of the game. that was nice.

IAWTPs

adelgary said:
I usually insist on reading the whole manual before even playing the game.

I used to be that way but not anymore. I do make sure I watch all intro/startup screens though!

Top Bottom