• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who would you want in a Playstation All-Stars 2?

SinDelta

As the title says.

For me, just make sure to have some Vanillaware reps they deserve it. Odin Sphere, Dragons Crown and 13 Sentinels all have casts that could take part in a battle royal.

Special mention to Kat from the Gravity Rush series.

The Hunter from Bloodborne, Kratos, Cloud, Dante, Snake, 2B, Joker, Nathan Drake, Cole MacGrath seem a given if the title is given a high priority. Older characters like Crash, Spyro ect.

I think Sora would be a issue due to Disney.

Last edited:
Definitely if they just shamelessly copy smash bros percentage system.
All stars sucked because the finisher system was shit and encourage cheese.

I love smash but I have no interest in owning Nintendo consoles. After smash 4 it’s clear Nintendo are clueless about online modes and match making.

Last edited:

Termite

I personally think that Sony's first party output has moved away from the colourful mascot characters that make such a game work.

We've gone from the likes of Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, Jak, Parapa etc to Kratos (GoW), Jin (Ghost), Deacon (Days Gone), Ellie (TLoU) etc. These are just people, and don't fit in a Smash-style game really. (And yes I know Crash and Spyro weren't Sony characters but they were akin to Sony mascots back then)

If they did make one, Astrobot is the obvious choice. Best mascot for anyone in a decade.

Disappointed with the roster of the first. Whatever thunder the sequel can have, Smash Bros. already stole, but I'll bite.

These are characters that are neither in Smash Bros. nor the first PSASBR:

Venom Snake/Big Boss/Revolver Ocelot
Wander from Shadow of The Colossus
Jill Valentine/Chris Redfield/Leon Kennedy
Astro Bot
Croc
Blasto
Dart
Squall/Tidus
Aya Brea from Parasite Eve
Pyramid Head
Lara Croft
Chocobo
Tomba
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon

They had a lot to pick from, but they chose Isaac Clarke and Big Daddy, which I don't associate with PlayStation as much as the aforementioned characters. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Neolombax

Just put in a representative from every first party Playstation game.

I personally would like Spyro, Jak, Jin Sakai, Ratchet, Aloy, Delsin/Cole, Knack and Trico.

Tschumi

It has to copy Smash Bros. Having health bars pales in comparison to getting punted off screens. I played allstars, i was a natural at it and kicked ass, but when you kick ass for 5 minutes and the enemy still hasn't died you get over it.

update2oyekv.jpg

Missing a few but mostly this. I'd add 2B, Aya, War, Scorpion, Klonoa, The Prince, and Ezio.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Make it generational themed and keep it iconic. One per franchise, only 5-6 per gen so it doesn't weight too heavily on recency. Nobody like Radec that nobody ever heard of.

PS1
Crash
Spyro
Cloud
Lara Croft
Solid Snake
Sweet Tooth

Probably the biggest 3rd party representation, but that's how PS1 was

PS2
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Dante
Wander
Sly Cooper
Ico

PS3
Nathan Drake
Joel and Ellie tag team
Sackboy
Wayfarer (Journey)
Joker (Persona 5)

PS4
Astrobot
Kratos and Atreus
Aloy
Spiderman
The Hunter (Bloodborne)
Jin
Kat

Plenty more to add in DLC

Most importantly, make it a more traditional fighter IMO. And make it a unified art style. Get somebody like Shinkawa to reinvent all these characters under one style

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Hire a Japanese studio like Namco to do it since they helped with Smash and appreciate weird cute: the folks that made Astrobot would also probably be able to pull it off but western devs would play it safe/not have the clout for licensing from Japanese publishers. I’d like them to go with deep Sony cuts like polygon man and guest characters.

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

-Kratos
-Drake
-Ratchet & Clank
-Jak & Daxter
-Spyro
-Crash
-Sly
-Kat
-Ape Escape (spike & apes)
-Astro
-Sackboy
-Toro
-Parappa
-Locoroco
-Katamari (prince & king of all cosmos)
-Dante
-Snake
-Cloud
-Spiderman
-Ippo & Takamura
-Kiryu & Majima
-SNOOP DOG

Mabdia

Well a new PSAS would be really nice. But instead of something like SB, I rather something like a 2D fighting like The King of Fighters or Blazblue instead.

About the cast:

Nathan Drake
Nariko
Kratos
Cole MacGrath
Cloe Fraser
Sakai Jin
Haohmaru
Cloud Strife
Celes Chere (I know just a dream)
Kat
Raven
Blasto
Kazama Kiryu
Majima Goro
Tidus
Rikku
Yuna
Jill Valentine
Claire Redfield
Rebecca Chambers
Astrobot
Kusanagi Kyo
Yagami Iori
Big Boss
The Boss

So many characters to choose. But realistically, if they ever make that happens, they should keep the cast exclusive to theirs IPs. Also, the battle system can be something like Blazblue? I mean, the guys at Ark have done an amazing job putting a lot of different game mechanics into only one game. Just look how Relius plays and how Haku-man plays. Both are just too different that somehow they look like are from different games.

kyliethicc

Joel
Ellie
Nate
Chloe
Kratos
Atreus
Spider-man
Aloy
Jin
Cole
Bloodborne guy
Ratchet & Clank
Knack
Sackboy
Astrobot
Crash
Spyro
Solid Snake
Cloud
Ryu

Last edited:

Camreezie

Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Nathan Drake
Leon Kennedy / Chris Redfield
Dante / Vergil
Ryu / Chun Li / M.Bison
Jake and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman
Aloy
Joel and Ellie
Deacon St.John
Cloud and Sephiroth

Fbh

As someone who liked the first game I'd like to see

From Ps1: Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Dart, Alucard, Snake, OG Lara Croft, Lynx or Serge from Chrono Cross
From Ps2: Kratos, Wander, real Dante, Ratchet, Tommy Vercetti.
From ps3: Nathan Drake, Biorr or the Maiden from Demon Souls, Raiden, Cole, Sackboy, Alicia (from Valkyria Chronicles), Joel.
From Ps4: The Hunter from Bloodborne, Aloy, Kat, Kiryu or Majima, Knack, Axe Kratos as a different character, Spiderman

bitbydeath

If they did then they need to go full 3D like the Dragonball Xenoverse / Kakarot games.

Go full spectacle, multiple fighters, AAA graphics and explosions that would make Michael Bay proud.

Definitely if they just shamelessly copy smash bros percentage system.
All stars sucked because the finisher system was shit and encourage cheese.

I love smash but I have no interest in owning Nintendo consoles. After smash 4 it’s clear Nintendo are clueless about online modes and match making.
Exactly this. I hated the way to win. Only use your finisher to gain points move and if you miss well then back to square one.

Make it an exact smash clone and it's be a winner.

sublimit

Banned
update2oyekv.jpg

Missing a few but mostly this. I'd add 2B, Aya, War, Scorpion, Klonoa, The Prince, and Ezio.

Make it generational themed and keep it iconic. One per franchise, only 5-6 per gen so it doesn't weight too heavily on recency. Nobody like Radec that nobody ever heard of.

PS1
Crash
Spyro
Cloud
Lara Croft
Solid Snake
Sweet Tooth

Probably the biggest 3rd party representation, but that's how PS1 was

PS2
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Dante
Wander
Sly Cooper
Ico

PS3
Nathan Drake
Joel and Ellie tag team
Sackboy
Wayfarer (Journey)
Joker (Persona 5)

PS4
Astrobot
Kratos and Atreus
Aloy
Spiderman
The Hunter (Bloodborne)
Jin
Kat

Plenty more to add in DLC

Most importantly, make it a more traditional fighter IMO. And make it a unified art style. Get somebody like Shinkawa to reinvent all these characters under one style
How would the guy from Journey fight?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Yes but 2 things please.

1. Have damage or ring outs or whatever but don't do that stupid thing where only supers kill and all other combat is just to build up supers

2. Get the iconic characters and the right versions. DMC3 Dante, Snake not Raiden, Crash, Spyro, etc.

Third parties should realize that this is free advertising so they certainly shouldn't ask for a lot just to include their character. A little maybe depending on the character but it's weird as it's not gonna make your next game sell less or anything. If anything it should expose it to more people on the most popular gaming platform.

One more that I would like is less floaty combat. I want to feel that impact. I don't need blood and guts but Smash does this very well where when I hit a heavy attack it feels different than a little punch. On allstars it felt like the attacks just hit with no real impact and everyone just floated around getting hit and no reacting

I absolutely would. Especially if it keeps & improves on the “Supers-to-Win” mechanic, which for me was always its biggest advantage over Smash Bros as a FFA game (goodbye kill-stealing & side-camping).

EDIT: Whoops, read the title as "Would you want a PSASBR 2" haha.

On topic, then: Tomba

Last edited:
I absolutely would. Especially if it keeps & improves on the “Supers-to-Win” mechanic, which for me was always its biggest advantage over Smash Bros as a FFA game (goodbye kill-stealing & side-camping).
The Supers-to-win is why the game was a flop. I absoloubtly hated it. Kill stealing on Smash is not an issue if you change the mode to Stock which is what many players do.

The Supers-to-win is why the game was a flop. I absoloubtly hated it. Kill stealing on Smash is not an issue if you change the mode to Stock which is what many players do.
Stock doesn't fix both problems. It's pretty well known that the best way to win Stock Smash FFA's is to wait on the side while others kill each other.

PSASBR's Timed & Kill Limit modes each fixed both of those issues.

Stock doesn't fix both problems. It's pretty well known that the best way to win Stock Smash FFA's is to wait on the side while others kill each other.

PSASBR's Timed & Kill Limit modes each fixed both of those issues.

What? If i saw a guy waiting on the other side whilst I was fighting others, the first thing I'd do is go for them. If people let others camp, not fight, and win.... Then those are bad players and deserve to lose.

What? If i saw a guy waiting on the other side whilst I was fighting others, the first thing I'd do is go for them. If people let others camp, not fight, and win.... Then those are bad players and deserve to lose.
Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

You’re missing the point that FFA Stock mode encourages players to run away from fights in the first place. In your example, that guy camping is the smarter player, because survival is the key to winning FFA Stock, not fighting.

FWIW, FFA Stock mode in PSASBR was also horrible. Was that the mode you played?

Last edited:
Top Bottom