• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's getting Spider-Man 2?

The game sounds pretty good, what with the new ability to actualy go on the ground and on top buildings. And I belive I heard about random crimes occuring or something too. Sounds better than the first. But I want to ask, I am trying to decide which version to get, It will be either GCN or XBox. I would perfer to get it for GCN since I havent gotten a new game for it since Twin Snakes. But I am wondering, does anyone kow weather the XBox version will support 720p? Because if it does I kinda want to take advantage of it.

~Black Deatha

Bob White

Me. Open cities in superhero games should become the freaking norm.

Just think of it
GTA : Gotham City.

Now, don't tell me that that didn't send a shiver down your spine.

----

Banned
Hellz yeah I'm gettin it. It's been one of my most wanted games since I saw it played at E3 2003. Waiting almost 14 months to play this game has been torture.

This game is going to be HUGE.

bjork

I will. Spiderman is a cool character, and while I haven't seen the films, the concept of the game is a cool one worth my money. :)

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Black Deatha said:
But I am wondering, does anyone kow weather the XBox version will support 720p? Because if it does I kinda want to take advantage of it.

~Black Deatha

ANSWER THIS MAN'S QUESTION.

Gek54

Bob White said:
Me. Open cities in superhero games should become the freaking norm.

Just think of it
GTA : Gotham City.

Now, don't tell me that that didn't send a shiver down your spine.

It did.

Is this one going to have the anchor of the movie tied around it's neck like the previous one for the PS2?

I really enjoyed the improvements the made to the game engine since the Playstation original, but the presentation and story just lacked the same appeal as the first Neversoft title. The squeezed a bunch of unrelated boss fights in there, and also tried to attach it to the movie. Traded it in after I completed it.

The new one sounds cool, but if it's anything at all like the first, I'd rather rent it than purchase and trade-in.

Cafeman

Have there been any legit reviews of Spider-man 2 the game yet? I have seen nothing concrete yet, just magazines gushing about how great its "going to be". Well, I've been-there-done-that about 20 times already, where mags praise a game that turn out to be nothing special... I'm still waiting. (but I'll rent it at the very least).

I sure HOPE for some spectacular Spidey vs Doc Ock battles, climbing skyscrapers and catching innocents/ avoiding debris thrown by Ock.

----

Banned
Cafeman said:
Have there been any legit reviews of Spider-man 2 the game yet? I have seen nothing concrete yet, just magazines gushing about how great its "going to be". Well, I've been-there-done-that about 20 times already, where mags praise a game that turn out to be nothing special... I'm still waiting. (but I'll rent it at the very least).

I sure HOPE for some spectacular Spidey vs Doc Ock battles, climbing skyscrapers and catching innocents/ avoiding debris thrown by Ock.
This game is special because it basically takes the GTA gameplay and throws a super hero's abilities into the mix. The worlds are much bigger than anything in the GTA or GTA clones because you've got huge skyscrapers to climb in addition to all the streets you can explore. The visuals on the Xbox from the top of the skyscrapers looking down at NYC blew my mind. This is the first GTA-like game where you're making extensive use of the vertical and horizontal space and in addition to that you're using a character who can do a hell of a lot more than a mobster with a pistol. The webslinging moveset is jaw dropping. You're spining guys in mid air, stopping all kinds of random crimes, latching onto the top of taxi cabs, shooting your webs in different directions at the same time, leaping up buildings, summer saulting, etc. Spiderman's attacks looked cooler than anything I've seen in the first or second movie so far. The animation is sick. If they've got Spiderman pulling off moves in the movie like I saw in the video game last year then the movie is going to be worth seeing just for that alone.

There are a lot of things that could potentially knock the score down if the developer didn't get it right, but this game is still well beyond anything you have ever played before. At worst this game is an average 7.5 where they introduce a lot of cool additions and build on the GTA formula but screw up some basic gameplay mechanics, at best this could be one of the best games released this year. There's no doubt this is going to be one of the best selling video games of the year and it's not just going to be because of the license. I won't go so far as to say it is a guaranteed masterpiece because I haven't touched it in more than a year, but it definitely has massive potential to break from the norm of licensed games.

I don't know anything regarding boss battles, but exploring and playing in the virtual Manhattan they've created looked like a lot more fun than anything I ever did in True Crime or Vice City. Of course this won't have the blood and guts that those games had, but I think it surpasses them in other areas that will make up for it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mrbob said:
If you were ha4dc0r3 you would pick it up for the GBA.
That'd be me. I loved the Spider-Man: The Movie for the GBA. This second one should be great too. Certainly can't be worse than the movie will inevitably be...

Wow, that sounbds cool '----'.

And I am gonna go ahead and assume that nobody knows about the 780p issue. Well damnit, I wish the offocal site or IGN or SOMEone or something would know...

~Black Deatha

Tellaerin

Hell yes, I'm getting it. I can't wait to play a free-roaming game where I'm actually supposed to be a hero, instead of just some thug.

DIrtyWeasel said:
I hope that one day there will be a Superman game as good as the Spider-Man games.
I doubt it will ever happen...

I agree, and we owe thanks to developers like Titus for making the possablity look that much more grim...

And I suspose I will have to wait if noone knows, it's just I wanted to find out in advance to pre-order accordingly... Oh well.

~Black Deatha

Mairu

I'm definitely picking it up. Probably will get it for GC because of the wavebird unless there are any glaring problems/advantages to the xbox/ps2 versions.

Cafeman

Hey 4dashes, your description pretty much sells the game to me. Hope I have the same reaction the first time I play it, I love Spider-Man as a character & the games. He's the perfect & best super-hero to translate into games. DId you play it? Or see online movies?

And concerning Superman, I wish they'd do Supes right in a videogame. Mind you, I have not played the Apocalips or the Xbox one due to lackluster reviews, I can only assume they aren't good, from said reviews & general lack of praise.

I think it'd be cool for a company to do a Superman or Justice league game using Alex Ross' art style.

Eggo said:
Nope, it supports 480p.

Cool, but not to sound like I dont belive you or your lieing, but how do you know?

I think one step in the right direction of making sa good Superman game would be to like with this Spidy game. Make it in a fully modeld Metropolis and maube use something like Red Factions geo-mod tech so that if you went superspeed while on the ground, you could crash stright through buildings. I would also hope the story would be good, and feature ememies that could post an actual challange, maybe even have a part where Doomsday comes and the game could even go through a death of SM part and than have you be reborne. But they would also have to allow you to be Clark and make you need to use stealth to use your powers while being Clark. Also they would need to impliment superspeed well, make it so you can even dash in front of bullets to block them for whatever reason...

Well that's at least some things that I think would help.

~Black Deatha

Burger

Before you go buy this sucker, look at these screenshots which look like they have been taken from a 1995 pc dev kit:

0002557,02.jpeg

0002560,02.jpeg

0002558,02.jpeg

kamikaze

i'm thinking they skimped on some of the overall look to maintain a steady framerate and good sense of speed when swinging through manhattan. do people like gta 3/vc for it's looks?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've already had a chance to play the game (See my "stolen games" thread...same guy that sold Psi-Ops before release last week just did the same with Spider-Man 2 for the Xbox and GC), and while I think it's pretty fun so far, it definitely isn't much to look at; graphic whores look elsewhere...Riddick this is not. (And while the XBox version did look a little better to me, both the Xbox and GC are running at the same frame rate this time around)

The game feels very much like the previous title, only now you get more control over Spider-Man's web slinging ability. Swinging around is awesome and has been much-improved; it feels smoother and you really feel like you're swinging around a huge city...it's as "realistic" as it can get. You can also now sprint up to enemies and knock them into the air, then follow them up for air combo-style attacks. :) I can't comment on too much else of the game yet since I only put about 30 minutes into it (will play some more at work tomorrow), but while you can now go to the streets, there's zero interaction with NPCs (not even on a GTA-style level), I have yet to see "Random crimes" you can choose to stop, and the events I have gone through have all been scripted. I'm hoping that more of the game opens up a larger area to move around in, as right now it feels like you can move freely within a small space; I am not able to go anywhere in the city, at least not at this time.

Surprisingly fun title though. I wasn't expecting anything new out of it. Oh, and Bruce Campbell is the narrator again.

Jak140

I would get it on the release date, but I just know that this is going to be down to less than $20 bucks in a few months. So I think I'll just wait until then

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Before you go buy this sucker, look at these screenshots which look like they have been taken from a 1995 pc dev kit:<<<

That's not the game we're discussing. Pay attention.

jett

D-Member
TAJ said:
>>>Before you go buy this sucker, look at these screenshots which look like they have been taken from a 1995 pc dev kit:<<<

That's not the game we're discussing. Pay attention.

Yes, it is.

Top Bottom