• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's Your Favorite Star Trek Captain?

Favorite Star Trek captain?

• Kirk

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Picard

Votes: 88 56.8%
  • Sisko

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • Janeway

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Archer

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Burnham

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Pike

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
Picard is gonna win
He's probably my second favorite. My first favorite is Jonathan Archer. I know that sounds crazy but I really like him.

If anyone chooses Burnham, please seek help.

Edit: in order my favorites are....

Archer
Picard
Kirk
Sisko
Pike
Janeway

Even though Janeway is at the bottom of my list, I still think she's a good captain for what it's worth.

Last edited:
The OG Kirk. Can’t beat the cornball acting and practical effects of the initial series, plus the movies were pretty great too. TNG was also great but I grew up on the original so I’m biased.
Kirk and Picard are almost even for me. Kirk would be my second favorite but Picard is just slightly better as a captain. But when it comes to personality Kirk wins out.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think TNG Era Picard Is absolutely the pinnacle of a CAPTAIN. TOS Era Kirk wins though soooo many deux ex machina events, even if he is the one I'd rather drink with, I'd rather not serve under him.

Pike (SNW) though, at least we'd eat well :p

SpiceRacz

star-trek-sisko.gif

He gave NO FUCKS and he'd tell it to your face ... Like he did with Gow'ron and Dukat. He cares not for your threats . Because me makes PROMISES!
When it comes to casts, Deep Space Nine might actually have the best throughout the entire series. There's so much actual diversity. About half or more of the cast are aliens so we get to explore their cultures and beliefs. Diversity also in the sense of what they believe in. Not everyone in the show is exactly so liberal. Lots of good personalities and people you can actually get attached to.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
They're tied, to me. I can't decide.
That's a fair answer. But it's definitely not decisively Picard.

If I had to rank:

Sisko > Picard (TNG) > Kirk > Janeway > Pike (SNW) > Archer > Picard (Picard)

Sisko is a beast. Commanding, full of integrity. Respects his crew and listens to them, but isn't afraid to make his own decisions
Picard in TNG and Picard from Picard are basically two different characters.
Kirk is the classic. Basically a pulp sci fi hero. He's fun
Janeway isn't bad. Kind of middle of the road.
Pike (SNW) is a nice guy, but they don't give him much to do and to be honest he differs too much to his crew. They're trying to make it seem like he listens to his team, but here it comes off as differing responsibility
Archer is boring

Laptop1991

Kirk,, i grew up with the original series being on BBC 2 constantly, i like Picard as well, but Captain Kirk was first for me.

Probably. I know I like him, but I feel Archer had a lot more challenges as the first human captain, unable to use a transporter for human travel, the Vulcan’s scrutinizing his every move, etc. All this going against him and he still got the job done.
Cool. Another Archer fan.

I love the show and know more people would love it if they start from the beginning. My Dad would hop into a random episode during the later serialized seasons, when it was on TV, and would be so confused. If he would start at the beginning of the seasons, he would understand the story and what was going on.
Plus that opening is amazing:

I really don't get to hate for Enterprise. I think a lot of people just watch one or two episodes and gave up afterwards.

It's a fantastic show and in some ways feels more grounded than your average Star Trek series.

Plus, Enterprise have one of the best overarching story that was season 3 with the Xindi. That was a great experience.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I love the show and know more people would love it if they start from the beginning. My Dad would hop into a random episode during the later serialized seasons, when it was on TV, and would be so confused. If he would start at the beginning of the seasons, he would understand the story and what was going on.
Plus that opening is amazing:

I know you really meant to link the superior 3rd season version so here it is. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Liam Shaw FTW!

A realistic depiction of what sitting in the hot seat can do to you.

Juggling the sanctimonious BS Starfleet politics with working in an environment that will kill you and the hundreds of lives under your command in an instant.

GeekyDad

Not surprised by the vote count, and I thought Picard was such an excellent next-gen captain, but for me it's still Kirk.

sono

Gold Member
Picard is class personified.

Voyager (later series Janeway and 7) are my favourite Star Trek though

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Picard>Kirk>Janeway>Sisko>>>Archer>>>>>>>Pike>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burnham

Ballthyrm

For me it is

Sisko > Kirk > Picard > Pike > Janeway > Archer

I think Sisko is the more complete character as we get to explore multiple facet of his personality, him as a father, as a Friend, as a Leader, as a Religious Figure, as an Outcast, etc.
Picard is too perfect, he is the "ideal" captain that almost always take the best decisions, sure they throw him him in plenty of difficult situation but we rarely see him blunder or have some of his crew saving his day.
Kirk is more balanced and has qualities that the other captains don't have even if they share a lot in common, I think he is the most distinct of all the captains.
Pike is probably the most approchable and compassionate and If I had to choose who to be under it would be him or Janeway.

PS: there is a captain that shall not be named that doesn't appear in any list so far and I'm glad nobody has mention them yet.

Paltheos

1) Picard - Intelligent, perceptive, diplomatic. An intellectual who's tough enough to convince you in an instant why he's the captain of the flagship. In day-to-day operations there's no one I'd want more at the head of my ship than Picard, because I have full confidence that he'd make the smartest decision at every turn. First Contact does him dirty by overplaying his Borg trauma (it's real but the TV show deals with it smartly and subtlely).

2) Kirk - A man's man. I might be giving him too much credit and he might be just a competent leader, but it's so clear Kirk loves the adventure while also playing the part of a professional. It's also very clear his crew loves him so there's that too.

3) Sisko - Revels in playing in the dirt. Deserves his rep as the ultimate war-time captain. Sisko's tough as nails and won't hesitate to do whatever it takes to get results. His flaw is focusing too hard on getting results. As untenable as the Maquis situation was, I still can't believe he faced no repercussions for his actions in For the Uniform.

*huge gulf*

4) Janeway - Narcissistic and small-minded. The number of mistakes she's made for no good reason (protecting her ego?) are many and awful. She condemned the cast to a lifetime away from home, executed a member of her own crew "because it was the right thing to do" while allowing a known killer to just be confined to quarters for the duration of their trip (the show), and endangered the ship's safety all too often, from taking on Borg ships all on their own to hypocritically chasing down Captain Ransom while decrying his actions as immoral and unacceptable (overlooking her willingness to trade with the Borg to save her own bacon).

5) Archer - Janeway, but even more insane, and petty. Low-point is visiting an alien world, bringing his beagle with him, and later going on a rant to a crew member about how rude the aliens were for being upset that his dog fucking peed on their sacred trees. All episode long he's resistant to asking them for any help too because they're definitely the assholes. Also racist against Vulcans.

Top Bottom