• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whose MGS "trilogy" was superior, Big Boss or Solid Snake?

Solid Snake's Trilogy or Big Boss's Trilogy?

• Solid Snake (MGS1, MGS2, MGS4)

Votes: 142 70.0%
  • Big Boss (MGS3, MGS PW, MGS5)

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • Raiden (Persona 4 Arena, Wonderful 101, Superhot)

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

kunonabi

Gotta go with Big Boss. His story is far more interesting and he has the two best MGS games in 3 and V. Solid has the first MGS and little else unless we count the first two Metal Gear games which closes the gap somewhat.

Soodanim

Story? Snake
Games? Big Boss

1 is the reason this all exists, shit games don't give rise to what this franchise became
2 is the cryptic mindfuck story with some of the most prophetic shit ever seen in a game
3 is the best overall game, where the gameplay has evolved but the story hasn't devolved
4 only had two tactical espionage action acts (3 was a trailing mission, 4 had no humans, 5 was one room before set pieces)
Peace Walker was good fun but limited by being a PSP game
5 has the best gameplay in the series, and was too open to be MGS (apart from 1 or 2 missions)

Thread is about story, so Snake wins. Big Boss is the prequels, and prequels end at the beginning despite how good they are. Snake's is the story.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Interestingly enough, I take the MG/S series to primarily be about Big Boss, akin to Vader in SW. There simply cannot be an existing MG/S story without him, even if Solid is the protagonist, etc. We can't forget the excellent MG1 & 2 (guess those would be Solid Snake games as well). What I would give for those two to receive the BluePoint Games treatment.... :messenger_face_screaming: :messenger_face_screaming: :messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

As much as I like MGS3 I think Solid Snake is the clear winner. MGS1 is great and iconic, MGS2 is my personal favourite of the saga and MGS4 is pure fan service, a love letter to all the fans.

Peace Walker was just ok and MGS5 is awesome gameplay wise but I didn't really liked the story (and not only because it was unfinished ...)

This post is making me want to replay MGS1 to 4!

DogofWar

MGS 1 and 2 are the best ones but still had to vote for Big Boss simply because MGS4 being such an embarrasment.

There are no bad games in the Big Boss trilogy, and 3 is an experience unlike anything else even by MGS standards.

INC

Solid Snake, unquestionably. I liked all 3 of his games. While I loved MGS3, Peace Walker is abysmal in every regard - from story to gameplay - and MGS5 has one of the worst overarching designs of any game, which torpedoes its amazing mechanics.

I prefer ground zeroes, the enclosed gameplay, felt like a next gen MGS1, it lead to replaying sections over and over, being more creative, limitation breeds creativity. Almost like a hitman game

The open world killed the pacing of the game for me, and how a MGS game works in narrative terms

The game mechanics were great, but it still felt hollow to me

MGS1 will always be my favourite, so I guess I go with solid snake

MetalRain

I really like MGS3, story of MGS5 was quite disappoinment, but it's amazing game anyway. I really enjoyed how they modernized MGS.

I'm glad I played some MGS Peacewalker before MGS5, it really would not make any sense otherwise.

Last edited:
Solid Snake. I love MGS3 but MGS1 and 2 are superior in my opinion. It really sucks that we haven't gotten a remaster or a re-release of MGS4. Besides the completely cringe worthy romance between Johnny and Meryl everything else was awesome.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Big Boss spends half his game getting beaten up by a woman.

And I like MGS3 but it made Big Boss a vastly less interesting character.

Xellos

Best character/story - Solid Snake. Both have completely ridiculous story arcs but SS has nano machines, vampire/cyborg dance fights and ghost arm possession. Also SS has the better mustache.

Best gameplay - Big Boss. MGS3 & GZ/V have the best gameplay in the series. MGS4 starts strong but falls apart after chapter 2. MGS1 is cool and all but the gameplay does not hold up.

Thabass

Interestingly enough, I take the MG/S series to primarily be about Big Boss, akin to Vader in SW. There simply cannot be an existing MG/S story without him, even if Solid is the protagonist, etc. We can't forget the excellent MG1 & 2 (guess those would be Solid Snake games as well). What I would give for those two to receive the BluePoint Games treatment.... :messenger_face_screaming: :messenger_face_screaming: :messenger_face_screaming:

This guy gets it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
3 is easily the best of the MGS series and V the best playing and I far prefer it to 4 story wise as well. Peace walker I like more than 4 as well.

I could give it to Snake for 1 & 2 but I think Kojima kept getting better and better at this. 4 is nice but has too little gameplay for me. So I’m going with Big Boss.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I wanted to say Solid Snake but MGS2 uses him like movies use supporting cast. The game wasn't about Solid Snake, so technically Solid never had a trilogy. MGS2 was Kojima's way of introducing Raiden as the new main character and once Raiden comes in, Solid is left in the background. So, that makes Big Boss the superior although I like Solid more.

EDIT: I just read the games in the poll and I see it was Peace Walker and not MGS2. Unfortunately, I still haven't played PW although I want to.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
It's not an easy comparison because each game jumped significantly ahead on gameplay and tried to do something completely different on story. If I had to add up the ones that worked best for me and that have aged better, I'd have to go with Big Boss. Every game also tries to have all these crazy tie ups to the rest of the series and it's insane when you look at the final big picture of MGSV's story and everything there that directly feeds into the other games in different ways.

Solid Snake. MGS1 at the time was fantastic and it's still my personal favourite story, MGS2 is one of the most finely crafted video games ever. 4 is a ridiculous greatest hits catalogue love letter to the fans and it's a shame it's entombed on PS3.

MGS3 is also one of the best video games ever made, but BB's trilogy is dragged down by 5, which might as well not have been a Metal Gear Solid game, regardless of how great the gameplay was. PW is fine but not outstanding.

I could not have said it better myself. My favorite game is MGS3, but MGS5 was a huge disappointment. If it had been on the MGS2 level, then it might have been a different story.

Old Retro

Sadly, MGS V is a tarnished legacy that should have ended with IV going out on top. :messenger_face_steam:

And don't forget the OG titles...

mgear.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
It is an unfair comparison because the Big Boss has only two games and not three like Solid.

Said that MGS4 wins for Solid even with the subpar MGS2.

KOMANI

KOMANI
They can be part of the lore but they are not essential in any way... never played then.
And yes they are Spin-offs.

They are not part of the main series.
yeah, no. you can show me all the user edited web pages you want, but a game that features Big boss, ocelot, eva, sokolov, major zero, paramedic, Campbell, signit isn't a spin off. it's not directed by Kojima, sure, but when mgs4 features PO as a main title, when the team says it's essential and canon, no matter what the director decides after the effect, it's hardly considered a "spin off". and even if you dont want to count PO youre still wrong on how many games feature Big Boss. but you have your own head canon that cant be reasoned with since you have 0 respect for the team and only for Hideo. and as abrasive as that comment comes across as, it's true. a game that answers who the patriots are not considered "essential is anyway" is what a Kojima fanboy would say to justify not playing it. but, if Kojima tweets out today that he secretly worked on PO, you'd go out and buy PO yesterday. let's call this what this is, blinding fanboyism. be proud, you wear it all over.

ethomaz

Banned
yeah, no. you can show me all the user edited web pages you want, but a game that features Big boss, ocelot, eva, sokolov, major zero, paramedic, Campbell, signit isn't a spin off. it's not directed by Kojima, sure, but when mgs4 features PO as a main title, when the team says it's essential and canon, no matter what the director decides after the effect, it's hardly considered a "spin off". and even if you dont want to count PO youre still wrong on how many games feature Big Boss. but you have your own head canon that cant be reasoned with since you have 0 respect for the team and only for Hideo. and as abrasive as that comment comes across as, it's true. a game that answers who the patriots are not considered "essential is anyway" is what a Kojima fanboy would say to justify not playing it. but, if Kojima tweets out today that he secretly worked on PO, you'd go out and buy PO yesterday. let's call this what this is, blinding fanboyism. be proud, you wear it all over.
You don't have any ideia what spin-off means lol

ethomaz

Banned
i dont think you do.

edit: ha, this guy is laughing, you can't even spell "idea".
Last reply to you.
Kojima says Portable Ops is not even canon and the events are off.
You try to create a myth about something that doesn't even is true.

"That is a very difficult question… for Portable Ops, I was a producer, so of course I saw the planning, I went through all the game. But I didn’t write the story myself. So some of the details are a bit off. So… I would put it… when you dive into the details, there are several small things that don’t seem to be according to the overall Metal Gear Saga, that seem to be outside of this world. So, to put it in a way, I guess, the main story of Portable Ops is part of the Saga, is part of the official Metal Gear timeline, while some of the small details that are in Portable Ops are outside the Saga, not part of the main timeline of the game. "

That is definition of Spin-off lol

The only game outside the main saga that Kojima consider canon is Peace Walker.

"I always say this will be my last Metal Gear, but the games in the series that I’ve personally designed and produced… Metal Gear on MSX, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, 4 and Peace Walker, and now Metal Gear Solid V are what constitute a single Metal Gear saga. With Metal Gear Solid V, I am finally closing the loop on that saga. In that sense this will be the final Metal Gear Solid. Even if the Metal Gear franchise continues, to me this is the last Metal Gear. "

The lol was because you are posting crazy wrong things lol

You don't need the others games or even they are essential because they have "story" points not part of the saga... so you are better ignoring all of them.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Last reply to you.
Kojima says Portable Ops is not even canon and the events are off.
You try to create a myth about something that doesn't even is true.

"That is a very difficult question… for Portable Ops, I was a producer, so of course I saw the planning, I went through all the game. But I didn’t write the story myself. So some of the details are a bit off. So… I would put it… when you dive into the details, there are several small things that don’t seem to be according to the overall Metal Gear Saga, that seem to be outside of this world. So, to put it in a way, I guess, the main story of Portable Ops is part of the Saga, is part of the official Metal Gear timeline, while some of the small details that are in Portable Ops are outside the Saga, not part of the main timeline of the game. "

That is definition of Spin-off lol

i know the quote. very well.

UNo9aFR.jpg

maybe continue reading the quote instead of hastily trying to win an argument?

ethomaz

Banned
i know the quote. very well.

UNo9aFR.jpg

maybe continue reading the quote instead of hastily trying to win an argument?
You continue reading only what you want.

He explained but you forget to read before and after "while some of the small details that are in Portable Ops are outside the Saga, not part of the main timeline of the game. "

Crazy lol

The own site you posted is saying that the claim is a myth.

Myth: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Rising are canonical
“This debate again?”
Fact: Kojima only considers the games he has directed as part of the “Metal Gear Saga.”

Mod of War Mod of War you will accuse me of derail the thread when the other guy has no ideia what what he is talking about.

yeah, SMALL DETAILS vs. MAIN STORY. learn to read. then, learn what a spin off is. then learn to spell "idea". LuL.
i can't blame you, if I had the bubble i was living in all my life burst i'd be delirious too.
it's funny you can find the font size option but cant use autocorrect. LuL. 🙄
Wrong and wrong again.

Kojima says the opposite of what you wish, the site you quoted says the opposite of what you wish.... and do you believe I'm in bubble? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ohhhh I did not use any font size option neither needs autocorrect... that is how dumb you looks in this thread... that is why you receive lols.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are each my very favorite game, depending on which one I am playing. I've come here twice and still can't cast a vote.

MGS5 and MGS4 also match up pretty evenly for me, despite them exceeding and falling in quite different ways.
Peace Waller and MGS1 are my least favorites.

I'll be back.

KOMANI

KOMANI
You continue reading only what you want.

He explained but you forget to read before and after "while some of the small details that are in Portable Ops are outside the Saga, not part of the main timeline of the game. "

Crazy lol

The own site you posted is saying that the claim is a myth.

Myth: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Rising are canonical
“This debate again?”
Fact: Kojima only considers the games he has directed as part of the “Metal Gear Saga.”
yeah, SMALL DETAILS vs. MAIN STORY. learn to read. then, learn what a spin off is. then learn to spell "idea". LuL.
i can't blame you, if I had the bubble i was living in all my life burst i'd be delirious too.
it's funny you can find the font size option but cant use autocorrect. LuL. 🙄

Thabass

it's not a spin off. up until PW, it was considered essential to MGS4 and the lore.
They can be part of the lore but they are not essential in any way... never played then.
And yes they are Spin-offs.

They are not part of the main series.

I knew this war would come up. So POPS (love calling it that) is not entirely canon, while being not entirely not canon. It has bits and pieces of canon taken from it (like the San Hieronymo incident being a thing; Peace Walker actually confirms that it DID take place). And in Metal Gear Solid 4, they do take some parts of the game and throws it in there.

I don't think the game is ESSENTIAL, but you cannot discard it as it does have some part of the lore in tact.

Portable Ops is must play but all of the essential events are re-told through the lens of Peace Walker and through MGS5, which is why I didn't include it in the "trilogy".

As one who prefers Big Boss and his games, I consider Portable Ops must-play but not exactly a part of the "trilogy" for the intent of this thread.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Pretty much. I mean some parts of Peace Walker are kind of awful and the execution isn't the best post-MGS3 but the stuff he was touching on was all pretty solid in theory. Snake's story just falls off a goddamn cliff.
MGS4 fell the fuck part, it literally is godfather part 3

Pejo

While I can appreciate what they did for the medium, the only two Metal Gear games I actually liked were Rising (for the music and gameplay) and MGSV (for the open-ended combat/stealth action). The story was too wordy in the neverending codec bits so I skipped most of it for the earlier games, and 3 was revolutionary but tedious (imo).

I voted Raiden just because I like Rising that much.

Top Bottom