• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why all games MUST be like Borderlands (because I'm a viral marketer for Borderlands)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked out that Quicklook on Giantbomb, seemed boring, didn't think the game was going to get a ton of attention. But with this thread the game is certainly getting a lot of attention.

One thing though, having loot doesn't make it like Diablo 2. This game is not like Diablo 2. Looking at these talent trees, each character has 1 ability, and then just a bunch of stat adjusting talents. Diablo Skill trees can result in completely different characters with a wealth of skillls that kill things in very different ways, even within the same class. Both do have massive amounts of boring brainless identical enemies to fight though.

As for the whole marketing thing, I usually assume most Official thread guys are virals. But that's completely harmless as there isn't much deception there. You're not going to ask someone who created some epic OP for a thread for advice as a disinterested party.

Dude Abides

Banned
Slavik81 said:
You didn't review games like that. When was the last time you gave a game a high score because the art team put in a lot of hard work, despite the fact that the programming team made a bug-riddled mess?

The same concept applies here.

No it doesn't. The programming team's performance affects the game itself, and thus the satisfaction the buyer will get from playing it. The activities of the marketing team, however, do not affect the game experience.

Slavik81

Dude Abides said:
No it doesn't. The programming team's performance affects the game itself, and thus the satisfaction the buyer will get from playing it. The activities of the marketing team, however, do not affect the game experience.
That's true, but a potential buyer might care about more than just the game experience.

Many goods, for instance, come with a certificate so that buyers know that they have not been created in an immoral or abusive way. For instance, some fair trade certifications exist for this purpose.

There's no difference in the end product, but the consumer still might support a fair trade product over an uncertified product to know that the manufacturing process was moral. In this case, a consumer might not support a game (and its publisher) if they feel that their actions were immoral.

Unfortunately, just like the good apples on a rotten team, the developer might lose out because of the actions of their partners. If it really becomes a problem, they should find a better partner.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I'll probably get Borderlands. It just looks ace, and I always wanted a Diablo like game on 360, and Sacred 2 didn't look like it was made for me. But Borderlands is. At least, I hope...For all I know, it'll be the absolute worst train wreck ever.

Oh wait, it can't....This thread exists. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Anyway, hopefully the game has something to keep it's gameplay fresh, because if it's only got loot whoring and no good quests, I may consider skipping it.

And holy shit at this guy's post history. Everything makes so much sense now. Especially this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18092240&postcount=225

Wow, delving into the guys post history is horrific. That Sacred 2 + Girlfriend thread fishing for Borderlands suggestions, that mario comment trying to make people think about multiplayer in Borderlands...jesus christ :lol

I'm going to take a guess and assume that Gearbox didn't hire this guy directly. He probably works for an advertising firm that Gearbox hired that handles all of their marketing (who knows; maybe the publisher hired them). They're probably a bunch of old men who don't understand the internet but they know that there's something called "viral marketing" which is all the rage these days. They probably heard about "new o graph" and thought "Hey, that sounds like a great place to market these viruses! Let's make a new bulletin about how awesome the game is and everybody will want to go out and buy it!"

I'd give Gearbox the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't let this stop you from buying the game if you were interested in it before this happened.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So uh, dude has an interesting blog.

I'm looking at a picture of him humping a statue of Spider-Man, and a NSFW picture of his wife getting a lapdance from a stripper.

Boy, I tell you. I sure did find me one fun gal. Lucky me.

She had never been to Vegas before, and the thought of experiencing Sin City in all its glory was just so tantalizing for her. I always appreciated the fact that my gal loves trying new things like I do, but I never would have imagined that she would give in to getting a lap dance. And loving it.

Wait a minute, was that guy making viral marketing for Borderlands here on GAF?! :lol

Edit: Ah ok, saw the guys blog just now. Maybe it was a mistake? :X

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
omg rite said:
So uh, dude has an interesting blog.

I'm looking at a picture of him humping a statue of Spider-Man, and a NSFW picture of his wife getting a lapdance from a stripper.
Yeah, what's up with that :lol

Guy is clearly a massive attention whore:

Soon after I finished posting, I did my usual follow up and pinged various people to let them know I wrote another story. I recently started to post up stuff on Digg, on N4G, and even on my Facebook profile, as a way to get some more exposure for my stories.

The real bigtime!!

Mr YuYu

lol at people saying they will not buy this game because some viral marketer made a thread on GAF.

Who cares? If the game is good, it is good. At the very least we got a chuckle out of it and an entertaining thread.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
SecretBonusPoint said:
The real bigtime!!
Well, he probably started the site not too long ago and wants them clicks plus some search engine optimization. Which is not a good thing to want. Make good content instead etc.

wmat said:
Well, he probably started the site not too long ago and wants them clicks plus some search engine optimization. Which is not a good thing to want. Make good content instead etc.

http://thekartel.com/ said:
Join now, it's free! Earn $Karma Points for commenting or blogging (Coming Soon!) Then earn free swag with those points (Coming soon after soon!)

Even if this guy isn't a paid one, he's certainly a viral marketer anyway and just doesn't know it himself :lol

FoxSpirit

Well... that certainly went awry.

To be honest I don't think he's a viral marketer. A real viral marketer would know when to quit and quietly make a new account. Or maybe activate one of his alts.

And he certainly wouldn't want his GAF account unbanned. I say lets give him another chance in a month or so :D

I like the part where he talks about all the great contributions he's made to GAF and how that should count for something. 200 posts in three years.

Put your hand in a pail of water and pull it back out, John. If there's a hole there, you'll be missed. That goes for pretty much anyone in a community this size.

wmat said:

He has an interesting point. If he is a viral marketer, he's a pretty shitty one. I had assumed someone had done research to determine that he actually was a viral marketer.
If no such research was done by the mods, then shame on them for making that assumption and sending this out of control.
That said, if it looks like a shill, and it smells like a shill...

Regardless, his original post was utter trash. It's click-feeding, troll-baiting, fanboy shit that has no place here. I would wholeheartedly support a temporary ban on the basis of trolling for starting such an asinine thread; I don't think it's necessarily worth a permaban, but then again, I'm just a junior so my opinions don't count for too much here. ;)

duckroll said:
I don't see why anyone should be influenced by viral marketing. The best solution is to ignore it. By ignoring advertising, it fails. That does not mean you decide NOT to buy something simply because of how it is advertised, because that would mean it is possible to influence your decisions via marketing after all, even in a negative way. People should make purchases based on their own interest and information gathering regarding a product. Letting marketing decide whether you purchase something is stupid in itself.

You really can't ignore it and hope not to be influenced by it. It's not how your mind works. You might think you're above it, everyone does, but the fact is even the most nonsensical shit influences our decisions on a daily basis.

The did an experiment on a supermarket in the wine section. They would put french music and german music on alternating days. On days with french music playing, french wine outsold german wine by 4 to 1. On days with german music playing, german wine outsold french by 2 to 1. Yet when people were asked if music influenced their purshasing decision EVERY SINGLE PERSON said it didn't.

Businessess do covert marketing, because that shit works and there's nothing we can do about it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
crazygambit said:
You really can't ignore it and hope not to be influenced by it. It's not how your mind works. You might think you're above it, everyone does, but the fact is even the most nonsensical shit influences our decisions on a daily basis.

The did an experiment on a supermarket in the wine section. They would put french music and german music on alternating days. On days with french music playing, french wine outsold german wine by 4 to 1. On days with german music playing, german wine outsold french by 2 to 1. Yet when people were asked if music influenced their purshasing decision EVERY SINGLE PERSON said it didn't.

Businessess do covert marketing, because that shit works and there's nothing we can do about it.
It's also a numbers game. You might actually be able to ignore ads and stuff, but if you have 10,000 people looking at your animated GIF or whatever, there are a few dudes that react positively to your shit no matter what.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
FartOfWar said:
Find every trace of the dude's activity and out it for what it is? Teach consumers to be skeptical when reading forums and enthusiast sites?

That's incredibly sad, though. I come here to GAF to have 'conversations' I can't have with my friends as they're not interested in game X or not even gamers. Stuff like this causing genuine FUD is heartbreaking.

Vagabundo

ChackanKun said:
Wait a minute, was that guy making viral marketing for Borderlands here on GAF?! :lol

Edit: Ah ok, saw the guys blog just now. Maybe it was a mistake? :X

No mistake, I'm more convinced than ever. That blog is damage control.

FoxSpirit

crazygambit said:

I gave this a bit of a thought and it's really effed up.

Even when you are aware and have a good laugh that French music music is playing in the wine section, it's mean. If it's some really nice Musette music and you have an internal connection to it, it will still work. The weather is nice outside, you go to a place and hear Musette music, you think of a kitsch France. It still puts you in the mood, even if you are aware that it's probably playing for marketing.

And if you are really in the mood for French stuff... would you pick a German wine just to spite it?

Lets say it really makes it pretty unlikely that you want to celebrate a mini-Oktoberfest that evening :D

Someone should make a nice "I'm a viral marketing cat named Master Lee" gif of some kind.
So we can simply swap out a name on the gif as more viral marketers are found and keep a running log.

The official thread of Viral Marketers with a nice lol cat.

That would be more efficient. Brand the thread "NeoGAF powered" naturally.

shuri

Banned
His posts should be purged from the database, completly. His marketing posts still survives and continue to potentially do the job.

artilect

Banned
To spite all of you who said you wouldn't buy Borderlands because of this thread I will now buy Borderlands, a game that looks worse than Fallout 3. How is that even possible?

It's funny how all his posts smelled of marketing. And some of you caught on. I mean, what kind of gamer or game enthusiast says: I like this game for the following bullet pointed reasons. They mostly constitute "features" that we have determined are better for the average 12-32 year old gamer and I am sure you will too!.
Plus his other comments in other forums were equally formulaic. In a few years there will be robots that talk like him.

2K Elizabeth

Neo Member
This thread totally set me on the warpath last night. I'm the person at 2K Games who would be in charge of setting this kind of stuff up - and I wanted to let you guys know that I've had a policy against any kind of shill for years. We simply don't do that. Why he posted this is beyond me, but we didn't send him. Both 2K Games and Gearbox would not do this to gamers.

artilect said:
To spite all of you who said you wouldn't buy Borderlands because of this thread I will now buy Borderlands, a game that looks worse than Fallout 3. How is that even possible?

What the hell is wrong with you guys? So many of you douchebags are jumping on a non-existent "BORDERLANDS SUCKS" bandwagon.

2K Elizabeth said:
This thread totally set me on the warpath last night. I'm the person at 2K Games who would be in charge of setting this kind of stuff up - and I wanted to let you guys know that I've had a policy against any kind of shill for years. We simply don't do that. Why he posted this is beyond me, but we didn't send him. Both 2K Games and Gearbox would not do this to gamers.

That's good to hear

Great thread!

I think the lesson learned here is that its terribly naive for one poster to try and sway GAF's opinion of a game. Whether detective GAF came through or not on this one, this thread was never going to convince anyone.

Victrix

*beard*
2K Elizabeth said:

For what it's worth, there's a similar negative response from another dev over at Shacknews about the shill. They could obviously both be doing damage control, but I've known the other one for a long time, shrug.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
2K Elizabeth said:
But how do we know that you are not a viral marketer sayin' good stuff about 2K :lol

Elizabeth is a kickass name

2K Elizabeth said:
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom