• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why all the hate?

I really don't get all this hate on the internet. Yea, Microsoft's press conference sucked, but it sucked since Kinect was revealed during E32009. Since then, Microsoft's business strategy changed and was directed more towards moving the console out of the bedroom and putting it into the living room. We all heard today the same stuff we've been hearing for the past 4 years... "you are the controller", "put the user in the center of experience"... they just added new ones, such as connected or kinected experience and other bs. The company is clearly not focusing on hardcore gamers since 2009 and GAF is acting all surprised.

I'm not trying to defend Xbox One because with 360 I don't really use kinect, IE, last fm, apps and other crap but we should all at least wait until E3. I mean Microsoft's press conference will suck no matter what but if they will be able to show some good games then who cares... worst case scenario everybody on GAF will buy either Wii U or PS4.

The real problem with the new generation consoles is lack of innovation in the games. Forget stupid Wii U tablet or whatever that thing is... where is the innovation? I know so far only few games have been showed but none of them shows new cool features. I don't want Sony and Microsoft forcing developers to focus their attention on gameplay recording, smartglass, and other useless crap. I want developers to use their time to drive innovation in the games.
In past years we all noticed that innovative gameplay drifted away from retail games to Indie and smartphone games. I think this is the real problem not a console because it has cable dvr box features. It's like hating apple or samsung for releasing phone that allows to browse internet or play games.

And about the "no use game" policy or whatever Microsoft is trying to do... they are probably shifting to cloud service so no hardware and discs are necessary in the near future. With good promotional prices (steam) or by granting gamers ability to sell games it can be done right. I hate Gamestop prices and if Microsoft will introduce smart alternative that will allow to eliminate the middle man why the heck no?

Woo-Fu

Banned
In this thread we have an OP who doesn't understand that gamers are interested in games.

If they'd shown gameplay footage from 3 of their new IPs, with somebody on stage actually playing the games there would be a lot less hate. At least people would see a potential upside to go along with the various downsides.

Companies make mistakes. This was their chance to set things straight. They didn't and people are disappointed.

I suppose if everyone is not suprised, not mad and not disappointed we can just shut GAF down and go back to playing games.

GetemMa

nobody (or not many) people are criticizing the lack of innovation.

Just the anti-consumer policies implied in everything they've said so far. The fact they are unwilling to squash all this negative attention with facts just speaks to the accuracy of what we've heard so far.

Kusagari

And about the "no use game" policy or whatever Microsoft is trying to do... they are probably shifting to cloud service so no hardware and discs are necessary in the near future. With good promotional prices (steam) or by granting gamers ability to sell games it can be done right. I hate Gamestop prices and if Microsoft will introduce smart alternative that will allow to eliminate the middle man why the heck no?

Because if there's one company I trust to do gamers right in this regard it's Microsoft.

Ra1den

They didn't show jack crap for games. They showed a bunch of superfluous TV related junk which is not even remotely appealing. They deserve all the hate they've gotten, and more.

Cheddahz

Banned
I want a console that simply plays games, I don't care about the entertainment stuff and that's the direction Microsoft is heading into

I really don't get all this hate on the internet.

Microsoft's press conference sucked

I don't really use kinect, IE, last fm, apps and other crap

Microsoft's press conference will suck no matter what

worst case scenario

Forget stupid Wii U tablet or whatever that thing is.

I know so far only few games have been showed but none of them shows new cool features.

gameplay recording, smartglass, and other useless crap.

I hate Gamestop prices

Why the hate?

Samyy

Anti-consumer bullshit
that is all
I dont know how anyone can apologize for this bullshittery but this is GAF so any amount of stupidity is possible.

For me, all the barely controlled keyboard rage in here is all from stuff that I can't imagine me being bothered by. Needs Internet? As long as live has existed my Xbox has been online and connected. Trade games with friends? I never do that they can buy their own shit. Used games? Just buy it new, or wait a few weeks when the price goes down 20% anyway.

Otherwise it is a console, and if the games looks good, I'll buy it and adapt, like every new generation requires.

web01

You do not own your game discs anymore.
Used game fees.
No indie publishing.
Terrible name.
Always online (atleast once a day)
Forced installs.
Forced Kinect.
TV TV TV.
Lets not even start on all the BS PR talk about rocket science and photons during the conference.
It really was a train wreck.

Most embarrassing reveal I have ever watched.

jet1911

I have a feeling if you're not a pro Sony guy you'll have a hard time on Neogaf in the next couple of years. There's so much negativity/not so subtle trolling in pretty much every thread that is not dedicated to worshipping the PS4. It's a nit sad.

Samyy

For me, all the barely controlled keyboard rage in here is all from stuff that I can't imagine me being bothered by. Needs Internet? As long as live has existed my Xbox has been online and connected. Trade games with friends? I never do that they can buy their own shit. Used games? Just buy it new, or wait a few weeks when the price goes down 20% anyway.

Otherwise it is a console, and if the games looks good, I'll buy it and adapt, like every new generation requires.

LOL
Okay. Me and my brother need two copies of a game to play on different live accounts. Yes.

NBtoaster

I'm not even up to date with everything yet, but so far:

Online connection required
Serial keys
Ugly, HUGE box
Fees for used games
TV stuff that probably wont be available worldwide
COD looks current gen
Kinect required; always listening

In this thread we have an OP who doesn't understand that gamers are interested in games.

If they'd shown gameplay footage from 3 of their new IPs, with somebody on stage actually playing the games there would be a lot less hate. At least people would see a potential upside to go along with the various downsides.

It was a console reveal... they showed the console... E3 is coming up in few weeks... there will be time to show games. Obviously if they waste more of my time I'll fully agree with you, but so far they supposed to show the console and they did... console sucks but it has power and potential... now let's wait to see what developers can get out of it.

nobody (or not many) people are criticizing the lack of innovation.

Just the anti-consumer policies implied in everything they've said so far. The fact they are unwilling to squash all this negative attention with facts just speaks to the accuracy of what we've heard so far.

I fully agree with that statement... if company announces negative stuff such as "no used games" they should be able to provide an alternative solution and so far they failed to do so, but it doesn't mean there's none.

Ra1den

I have a feeling if you're not a pro Sony guy you'll have a hard time on Neogaf in the next couple of years. There's so much negativity/not so subtle trolling in pretty much every thread that is not dedicated to worshipping the PS4. It's a nit sad.

So should we not be bashing MS when they pull shit like this? What exectly are you suggesting?

If the PS4 is making all the right moves for gamers(so far), why should we not be praising it highly?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
LOL
Okay. Me and my brother need two copies of a game to play on different live accounts. Yes.

Unless you use the same box

I'm not even up to date with everything yet, but so far:

Online connection required
Serial keys
Ugly, HUGE box
Fees for used games
TV stuff that probably wont be available worldwide
COD looks current gen
Kinect required; always listening

Serial keys aren't going to be used, its a different system
The system is as big as a 360S
The used game part isn't fully revealed
TV stuff will be available worldwide
COD was a jump but not a leap, I'll give you that.... Probably more to do with activision
Kinect required? So what. And of course it's listening... For PROMPTS

This kinect and family central strategy wich started since 2009 just sucks incommensurably.The delusion rise because is not a thing that happen in 1day, it is almost 4 years since we started to asking games not generic tv related crap and they continue doing it.

noneedupset.gif

Samyy

I don't think it will work that way. As a matter of fact I think they specifically said the same box can play a game across accounts.

We live in different places so we always have two consoles! Its within transit distance but I aint going over to his place to play games and hes not coming back home.

What do GAF? We alternate buying games to save money. I guess fuck that now.

I guess people not in my predicament wont have a problem, I still think its fucking stupid. I am not supporting this bullshit.

YOU CANNOT justify this in any rational sense. Since the dawn of gaming people have been able to share games with friends and as I seem to recall is it not one of the largest industries in the fucking world now? I dont think this stunted games industries growth at all so they cant convince me with that BS excuse.

This kinect and family central strategy wich started since 2009 just sucks incommensurably.The delusion rise because is not a thing that happen in 1day, it is almost 4 years since we started to asking games not generic tv related crap and they continue doing it.

because it sells...

jet1911

So should we not be bashing MS when they pull shit like this? What exectly are you suggesting?

If the PS4 is making all the right moves for gamers(so far), why should we not be praising it highly?

There's a big difference between criticising(?) MS and Nintendo for their bad businnes decisions and the circle jerk fest of hate that is easily found in a lot of WiiU/MS thread. Lately there's a lot more of the later.

I don't think it will work that way. As a matter of fact I think they specifically said the same box can play a game across accounts.

probably so, but the fact that this is even a legitimate question shows what a disaster X1's used games policy is. when have gamers ever had to worry about who can and can't play the new game they just bought and own?

Ra1den

There's a big difference between criticising(?) MS and Nintendo for their bad businnes decisions and the circle jerk fest of hate that is easily found in a lot of WiiU/MS thread. Lately there's a lot more of the later.

Most of the hate that is being showered on this conference is being backed up with the reasons for the hate. I don't see how that is anything other than justified criticism.

pubba

1. It was held in a tent ffs..
2. SPORT SPORT SPORT MURICA SPORT KINECT SPORT AMERICA SPORT
3. The console is hideous and looks like a 'House of Next Tuesday' VCR from 1984
4. SPORT HERP DERP SPORTY SPORT
5. Bullshit TV features that have little interest to 90% of gamers outside MURICA
6. "Here's some gameplay!" (cue: 3 minutes of cut scenes)

But.. more disappointed than hatin'. The mo-cap dog was the highlight for me, and I'm not even joking

Top Bottom