• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are black people so universally hated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feature

Banned
mmmm strange, I do not see this where I'm from... please dont generalize because the place where you're from is filled with these kind of assholes.

Gustav

Banned
No offense but you should stop posting now. This is borderline racism.

It's not. I'm arguing that racism exists and that racists claim certain reasons for their racism. I'm not stating that any of those things are true or right or even debatable for that matter.

Stet

Banned
Imagine you're in a bad neighborhood, and a fit 30-something man aggressively asks you for change. What color is his skin?

Depends what colour of paint he's huffing.

j61yThNmfxTNx.jpg

It's not. I'm arguing that racism exists and that racists claim certain reasons for their racism. I'm not stating that any of those things are true or right or even debatable for that matter.

I'm not buying it. Your posts are really leaning the wrong way man.

ToxicAdam

oh, and wtf is gaf's recent obsession with black people.

Easy way to make a 300-500 reply thread.

As an aside, if black people were 'universally hated', all their contributions to culture, vernacular, art, etc would be stuffed down and buried, like it was in the past. But it's celebrated, acknowledged and imitated. It's all pervasive in Western culture ... so I don't buy this idea that one race is "universally" hated. There's just ignorance everywhere and ignorance always finds something to hate.

Onemic

Like I said, you're trying to tell me that black people were less prejudiced and hated before 1988 than they are now. By your post that is the argument you are trying to make. That and studio gangsters.

Easy way to make a 300-500 reply thread.

As an aside, if black people were 'universally hated', all their contributions to culture, vernacular, art, etc would be stuffed down and buried, like it was in the past. But it's celebrated, acknowledged and imitated. It's all pervasive in Western culture ... so I don't buy this idea that one race is "universally" hated. There's just ignorance everywhere and ignorance always finds something to hate.

If we were to do a worldwide survey about which race you distrust/hate/would want to be the least associated with the most, who do you think would end up first on the list?

Nyx

Because of Kanye West.

(on a more serious note, I don't share the OP's thoughts about black people being hated universally, here in The Netherlands I don't see that at all.)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
In terms of racist people? I would say from lower life forms that make good slaves to aggressive gangbangers who kill each other over handsigns or the color they wear.

You just skipped over like... 200 years of shit. But aite.

JCX

Well, what is the word black usually associated with?

This is an important subconcious aspect.

It's interesting and disheartening that colorism exists in so many different racial communities (african-american, indian, east asian), so even withing people of color, there are preferences on having lighter skin tone.

Another thing Americans need to work on separating is class from race. There was a good discussion on a podcast called "Blacking It Up" yesterday. Media has sold the idea that poor = black and crime = black, even though there are poor communities of most major racial groups that have the same characteristics. The enhanced scrutiny on black communities is a byproduct of the war on drugs, which negates higher drug usage by whites in favor of a hyperractive enforcement response in black communities.

Gustav

Banned
Like I said, you're trying to tell me that black people were less prejudiced and hated before 1988 than they are now. By your post that is the argument you are trying to make. That and studio gangsters.

No, my argument is that they are "hated" for different reasons. Although you are right in that how I worded it it sounded like the hate stems from "gangsta" culture. It rather transformed the "hate".

PS The reason I put hate in quotes is that I find the term lacking, as hate is very one dimensional and doesn't account for fear, jealousy and xenophobia in general.

Onemic

I would not call 50 cent a studio gangster.....

Now? Most definitely. But based on his reply he seemed to be talking about gangsta rappers in general and not gangsters.

No, my argument is that they are "hated" for different reasons. Although you are right in that how I worded it it sounded like the hate stems from "gangsta" culture. It rather transformed the "hate".

PS The reason I put hate in quotes is that I find the term lacking, as hate is very one dimensional and doesn't account for fear, jealousy and xenophobia in general.

So once again, black people on live in the US? And not only that by your argument you're saying that essentially once 1988 rolled in it transformed the hate like that from one form to another even though the largest consumers of this hip hop culture are white people. Do you mind stating what this new hatred is exactly?

Gustav

Banned
You just skipped over like... 200 years of shit. But aite.

I know, I'm just stating the most obvious reasons a racist in 2012 maybe would present.

"Gangbangers, don't work, social welfare, aggressive, been to prison". The usual drivel.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Because of Kanye West.

(on a more serious note, I don't share the OP's thoughts about black people being hated universally, here in The Netherlands I don't see that at all.)
Wait, when do you see Black people period in the Netherlands? I mean seriously though, how often?

I'm guessing not enough for anyone to honestly give much a of a fuck that they exist there.

Gustav

Banned
Wait, when do you see Black people period in the Netherlands? I mean seriously though, how often?

I'm guessing not enough for anyone to honestly give much a of a fuck that they exist there.

The Netherlands even brought a language to South Africa with their many colonies. There are quite a few black people in the Netherlands.

Lines of colonial dominance were extended along constructions of race? Divide and conquer, white is beautiful, white is invisible etc.

In some places it is more a recent history thing, Vietnam for example. In China and Japan I think it is more part of a general xenophobia and a thing about the 'hierarchy of nations', where Africa is at the bottom.

It is also not a general thing. One of my closest friends (who is Bengali) recently married a Somali. His secular parents weren't having any of it, said a bunch of racist stuff about her. The flipside of that is that he met her through his mosque community, which is made up mainly of people from the Horn of Africa and from Bangladesh, and that is one of the most unconsciously anti-racist environments I've ever been in.

It is telling that his family were upper class in Bangladesh I think.

Shameless

Banned
I certainly feel more threatened walking past a group of black people than I do a group of white people. The US is the only country where black people have bought themselves up to equal standing socially and economically with white people. It's a very different story in Europe, unfortunately.

Onemic

I know, I'm just stating the most obvious reasons a racist in 2012 maybe would present.

"Gangbangers, don't work, social welfare, aggressive, been to prison". The usual drivel.

Ya.....nothings changed from 1988 to now. And you're foolish to think that those above prejudices and stereotypes weren't even more prevalent before rap.

Can we be honest and say that rap music is doing the black community no favors now. Since it jumped from the niche market of the 80's into being the #1 contributor to todays fashion/music/media its pushed stereotypes into the minds of the world to equate black people with rap culture.

I think impressionable black people see these images and think thats hwo they should act and I think naive people see these same things and think they represent the whole of black culture.

Gustav

Banned

Don't agree. You think you would hear something more sophisticated? Like insecurity pent up from the bad conscience resulting from centuries of abuse and mistreatment of Africans? Or Xenophobia? No. A racist would say that blacks are aggressive, loud, gangstas and dangerous.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Its been that way for centuries. Its not a recent thing in any kind of way.

Oemenia

Banned
Well in Europe, its easier to bash 'immigrants' or 'Muslims' then to call a group of people out by their skin colour.

Alebrije

Well I guess is something cultural in most of western countries when black equals to evil,bad,etc.

Dart Vader , Black swan, Black Monday, Dark side, Night , etc. So then a lot of people translates it to skin color and you have this behavior ( be afraid of black people)

By example :

If Iam not wrong the book of mormons says black people wont be saved becuase they are child of evil (please correct if I am wrong)

So that is the problem and I find it stupid but is how the world works now

SmokyDave

This seems like a loaded topic. Any reasons given for the negative perception of black people will immediately get the poster labelled racist whether they agree with those reasons or not.

Still, we have a real contender for 'incendiary topic of the week'.

Gustav

Banned
Ya.....nothings changed from 1988 to now. And you're foolish to think that those above prejudices and stereotypes weren't even more prevalent before rap.

Maybe those prejudices were similar before rap/gangsta/gang culture, I don't know for sure. I'm basic my statements of portrayal of black people in mainstream culture and I think there is a big difference in their portrayal in let's say 1970s mainstream in comparison to 2000s mainstream.

Don't agree. You think you would her something more sophisticated? Like insecurity pent up from the bad conscience resulting from centuries of abuse and mistreatment of Africans? Or Xenophobia? No. A racist would say that blacks are aggressive, loud, gangstas and dangerous.

I believe it's an inherited hatred. Simple as that. Most people who hate honestly don't know any better. I have never been any of the things you mentioned yet I still get hate.

ToxicAdam

If we were to do a worldwide survey about which race you distrust/hate/would want to be the least associated with the most, who do you think would end up first on the list?

I don't know if anyone can answer that question. Different regions have different minorities or ethnicities. The answer you get in rural China could be wildly different than the one you get in New York City or in thousands of different parts of the world.

How could someone even answer a question like that? I don't have an answer for it.

Onemic

Maybe those prejudices were similar before rap/gangsta/gang culture, I don't know for sure. I'm basic my statements of portrayal of black people in mainstream culture and I think there is a big difference in their portrayal in let's say 1970s mainstream in comparison to 2000s mainstream.

and what was it in the 70's and before then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom