• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are gamers settling for the Core package?

Matlock

Banned
I've seen people settling for the Core package since launch since the Premium keeps selling out--and it almost seems as if some of you are compulsively driven to buy a new system whether or not you want it.

I've even seen auctions go from $400-$700 for something that retails $300.

Why? If you wait until Summer '06, you'll get one that's not the rushed launch production...plus those launch games will have went down in price a bit.

Honestly, it doesn't make sense. :p

trilobyte

I guess being consumer whores isn't a good explanation? Most of the first buyers are hardcore fans of the xbox, so they're going to get one on launch, core system or not.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Matlock said:
I've seen people settling for the Core package since launch since the Premium keeps selling out--and it almost seems as if some of you are compulsively driven to buy a new system whether or not you want it.

Why?

i cant speak for the ebayers, but if i could nab a core right now, i think it'd be worth it. sure, i'd end up forking over extra money for the harddrive and hd cables (dont need another headset or wireless pad), but it would be worth it to have it and play it, especially for this holiday week. it would be nice to not worry and spend time searching for one in stores or online as well.

Matlock

Banned
op_ivy said:
i cant speak for the ebayers, but if i could nab a core right now, i think it'd be worth it. sure, i'd end up forking over extra money for the harddrive and hd cables (dont need another headset or wireless pad), but it would be worth it to have it and play it, especially for this holiday week. it would be nice to not worry and spend time searching for one in stores or online as well.

Don't you already have a console? Seriously, you probably even have games you haven't finished.

Matlock said:

Why? If you wait until Summer '06, you'll get one that's not the rushed launch production...plus those launch games will have went down in price a bit.

Desperation.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Matlock said:
Don't you already have a console? Seriously, you probably even have games you haven't finished.

several consoles... and i've finished every game i own worth finishing.

you may see the 360 launch as just a new console with hold me over titles. but for me, pgr3 is here sitting by my side waiting to be played. the pgr series is definitely among my very favorite. it IS my killer app

would you be saying the same thing if you had missed out on the ps3 launch and were unable to play metal gear solid 4 (just an example, i have no idea what would constitute a killer app to you)?

Matlock said:
Why are gamers settling for the core package?
As far as gamers who actually want the system are concerned, the extras available in the premium pack can't make up for not owning the system they desire for a good 2-3 months more....

Simple desperation. People willing to pay up to 700$ for a core pack wont mind having to shell out another few hundred to get the core pack up to Premium status.

bjork

op_ivy said:
would you be saying the same thing if you had missed out on the ps3 launch and were unable to play metal gear solid 4 (just an example, i have no idea what would constitute a killer app to you)?

I would, because there's more to life than playing a game =P

Lo-Volt

"Mommy, I don't care, I want it!" is a powerful motivator when you're stuck in a store with either the core or a terrible Christmas here in Capitalist-land. That and the massive amount of hype in the bloodstreams of every launch buyer; it sucks to wait 10 hours and come home tired and emptyhanded.

shibbs

Heh, topic tittle reminded me of todays PA

20051123l.jpg

karasu

Because all I'd need to buy is the hard drive and HD cables. That's not too much. :/ Wait until Summer 06? Are you nuckin futs?

Pimpbaa

I'd get a core system. Don't care about live, don't need backwards compatability (keeping my xbox1), I don't bother with custom soundtracks, and I don't have a HD tv.

Pimpbaa said:
I'd get a core system....Don't need backwards compatability (keeping my xbox1), I don't bother with custom soundtracks, and I don't have a HD tv.
Me too. Though an HD stock would be nice, it's not really necessary for me atm. If I can part with $400 for the core pack +memory unit +Call of Duty 2, I'd be happy for at least a month. By then, the Christmas gods would grant me an Hd and some more games. I'm down for it! :)

Pimpbaa said:
I'd get a core system. Don't care about live, don't need backwards compatability (keeping my xbox1), I don't bother with custom soundtracks, and I don't have a HD tv.

One of my friends is exactly in that situation, so he went with the tard pack. I don't blame him.

JMPovoa

Pimpbaa said:

You can have custom soundtracks with the core system (just connect an USB media device like the iPod, the Zen or the PSP), so one less reason for you to worry about it. Good buy. :)

JMPovoa

If you buy the Core pack and don't worry about a lot of stuff, you can actually get 2 games + a mem card for it and being almost the same price than having a premium with just one game. And i think having more games right now is actually better than having just 1. To many people it's enough reason to outwheigh the advantages of the Premium Pack (not that i'm getting a core, being the hypocrite i am :lol )

JMPovoa said:
If you buy the Core pack and don't worry about a lot of stuff, you can actually get 2 games + a mem card for it and being almost the same price than having a premium with just one game. And i think having more games right now is actually better than having just 1. To many people it's enough reason to outwheigh the advantages of the Premium Pack (not that i'm getting a core, being the hypocrite i am :lol )
Yup, yet another reason. I don't see anything retarded about this theory....

Lo-Volt

I have to admit, the lack of HD penetration in America reminds me that Microsoft may well have been right to launch a Core pack. It never bothered me as much as the accessory prices did (goddamn, a hundred dollars for a slow 20 gigabyte HDD still seems absurd). But Microsoft seemed to know how well it was going to work, considering how people embraced the Core when the launch frenzy hit them.

Lo-Volt said:
I have to admit, the lack of HD penetration in America reminds me that Microsoft may well have been right to launch a Core pack. It never bothered me as much as the accessory prices did (goddamn, a hundred dollars for a slow 20 gigabyte HDD still seems absurd). But Microsoft seemed to know how well it was going to work, considering how people embraced the Core when the launch frenzy hit them.
Everything's a scandal. :)

Lo-Volt

Master_Shake_05 said:
Everything's a scandal. :)

:lol Well, let's face it. Many consumers in this economy will buy anything. In a way, I think we were asking for it, and Microsoft happily obliged.

BioFan

I'm proud to be a retard :D
but honestly if ebgames didnt screw me from the 1st shipment, I would have gotten the premium, still angry at them, didnt know I have to call them to confirm I want the system even when I've paid everything in full. Will never ever get anything from that particular ebgames.

stonedwal

Utility theory :)

Amount of happiness or satisfaction that arises from possessing and using an object - people tend to select options that maximise utility rather than expected monetary value. I studied too hard this semester :D

Ramirez

I just wanted a system,plain and simple...I just wanted the HD in the premium package,so I don't see the big deal...now finding an HD that's in stock somewhere,there's a problem.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Matlock said:

That's much too logical. Everyone know logic isn't a big factor in these types of launches, and I'm sure you do too. It's why my Premium is going for $650 USD with more than a day left on ebay. And yes, compulsion is a large part of it- like anything else in life. They're paying for more than the system- they're paying for the feeling of joy, etc that comes along with it.

Matlock

Banned
op_ivy said:

The game will still exist in six months to a year, and at a reduced price. :)

Because if you just wanted to play the games and not care about BC, custom soundtracks and the like or have HDtv, $300 is still a lot better than $400. Is it really that hard to comprehend? Plus having the Premium pack sell out so quickly doesn't leave much option outside of waiting.

Top Bottom