• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are HBO series DVDs so freaking expensive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I mean seriously....WTF?

Each season of the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Carnivale, and Deadwood, will run you $75 - $85 a piece depending on the store and they typically only have like 12 episodes. I would love to buy Deadwood but there's no way I'm paying that much for it. It's freaking madness. You have to spend a small fortune to buy all of those Sopranos sets. Meanwhile you can buy other shows like 24 that offer a lot more content for 2/3 of the price. How does HBO manage to get away with this? Do people actually pay that much for these DVDs? Their shows are pretty good and all but they are not THAT good!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This is pretty much the same as asking why Criterion Collection titles cost more than the latest blockbuster release. Supply and demand.

border

How about because the production costs of those shows are NOT offset by advertiser revenue? Or because if the DVDs were cheap then people would just wait for them rather than subscribing to HBO?

Obviously plenty of people do think the shows are THAT good. This has been their pricing scheme for years and if it wasn't working then they would have come down in cost.

If HBO continues to successfully sell their shows into cable syndication (how the hell did they pull off this deal for The Sopranos?), then maybe the DVDs will come down in price a bit.

Smidget

JC10001 said:
Their shows are pretty good and all but they are not THAT good!

Oh yes, they are. All good points by the posters above. I figure they're a deal really, each HBO show's episode is at least as good as most movies that come out during the year, if not better so instead of paying 15-20 bucks an episode I get quite a deal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom