• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are realistic racing games so damn stupid, Project Cars, Forza Motorsport, Assetto Corsa, all the Codemaster games

Derktron

Banned
Reading through this thread after spending 45 minutes on an IMSA race on iracing is jarring.

Honestly it's getting to the point where it's better that racing games aren't discussed here, some people simply don't have a clue.

More like it's a crash simulator. What's the point in enabling pit stops in a game where the AI don't even have tire degradation and pit consistently as they should ? There's nothing motorsports about the motorsports series anymore.

There's a reason why much of the Forza Motorsport community migrated to the PC racing sims like iracing and Assetto Corsa or even GT Sport on console. Turn 10 need to get their act together for the next entry in the series if not it will be dead.

Also:

So this is the kicker of the conversation lol what the hell do you expect did ya'll think that was going to be real?

Dude, this is not 1998, nobody cares about “campaigns” in sim racing games, everything is happening online. There’s no thrill to be had vs AI compared to fighting real living people. You people need to learn how to drive or STFU if you can’t race others online because it takes both skill and mental strength to be good there. If you find enjoyable picking Suzuki Escudo and blasting poor AI out of the water, go play GT3 somehow, leave modern gaming alone.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dude, this is not 1998, nobody cares about “campaigns” in sim racing games, everything is happening online. There’s no thrill to be had vs AI compared to fighting real living people. You people need to learn how to drive or STFU if you can’t race others online because it takes both skill and mental strength to be good there. If you find enjoyable picking Suzuki Escudo and blasting poor AI out of the water, go play GT3 somehow, leave modern gaming alone.
Some people like to get S ranks plowing through line hugging rows of CPU cars, where you can bulldoze them at turns (inside cut) and zoom into first place.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

There's a reason why much of the Forza Motorsport community migrated to the PC racing sims like iracing and Assetto Corsa or even GT Sport on console. Turn 10 need to get their act together for the next entry in the series if not it will be dead.

Also:

like I said car game not really a simulator lol

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I swear the only progression racing games have made in the last 15 years is better visuals, feeling of traction, and car sounds. Everything else has regressed.

Gran Turismo, especially 3, set the standard for how to achieve an addictive progression through a campaign in a racing game. Make the player earn everything they get. Every car needs to be bought from hard-earned cash or winning a challenging tournament, make the player get licenses, slow progression through a set of events. Make the player feel like they build and earn their garage, make them care about what they get, and wrap it all into an economic system where you yearn for every buck you find.

Subsequently, after GT4, every car game under the sun ignored these developments and made cookie-cutter campaigns with no incentives to them that all feel the same. You unlock a new car after every race, no rewarding economic system, just race through a set of bland events on a menu screen until you get to the last one. The F1 one games are the only ones who even try to make a campaign worthwhile. I would guess it's because it might be too hardcore for casuals, or that they don't want to hide all the cars under a long campaign but let everyone use every car as easy and early as possible.

But Jesus Christ, I miss the days of struggling to get the best cars in the old GT games, feeling a sense of pride when I looked at my garage. What a hell happened here? how did car games completely stop progressing or trying to build meaningful modes?

maxresdefault.jpg

That's why I'm optimistic about GT7:

Yamauchi’s comments match up with an earlier interview in which he hinted that Gran Turismo 7 would incorporate the “past, present and future” of the series.

“In Gran Turismo 7, while inheriting elements such as the [FIA] championships that were realized in Sport, we are going to go back to the full-volume of Gran Turismo 1 and 4, and providing the best Gran Turismo experience today. So for those who know the old Gran Turismo, I think it will feel a bit nostalgic.”

TheKratos

Disagree. Or there should be hardcore mode and casual. Creating 500+ amazing cars and you need to grind for days to buy just 1 car isn't for everyone

Yeah cars and money is coming in tooo easy now. Maybe they should make a casual and racing campaign. So one can choose what to play

Magik85

Im all for carrer progression as long there is also "free race"/"Time trial" with every car and track avaiable to the player.
When i buy a sim, i want to go straight to Spa/Suzuka/Nurb in GT3 class car.
Locking content for multiple hours was one of a reasons i comepletly gave up on GT Sport.
IMO racing sims is the genre that evolved the most through the years. Physics, weather, AI, track recreation...all of it is just on next level now.
Assetto Corsa/ACC, Project Cars 1/2, Dirt Rally....back in a day true sim experiece was avaiable only on PC and now its on consoles. Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport are no longer games to go to, when you want realistic racing ;)
Old GT games were good "car collector" games....but it really failed at racing experience....starting last and having few laps to overtake bunch of cars that are like 5 seconds slower than me and drive blindly on their line isnt something i want in modern racers....being forced to play for like 15 hours before unlocking circuit i like.....no thanks, ill pass.

Soodanim

I haven't bought a sim racing game since GT4, which wasn't as good as GT3, and Burnout Paradise was the last fun racer I bought.

GT3 was great for the reasons OP stated, but also because it was open ended and you could pretty much do whatever you wanted. That fed perfectly into the late game, where you start unlocking unique cars like the Suzuki Escudo after the rally tournament, then the GT40 and later your first F1 car. It introduced a fun element to the game, you could break half the game if you wanted to and that was great for someone who prefers fun over realism in racers.

I don't remember much about GT4, except it had a good feature where you could let the game do endurance races for you. A blessing when the idea of doing the same lap for 2 hours isn't your idea of fun. PD couldn't even get a full game out after that, so I left it alone.

Makariel

After grinding through the same races over and over to unlock garages full of cars in two subsequent GT games, I have zero interest to do that again. I guess some people like Pokémon with cars-type games, but the AI in those games is simply not interesting enough to drive against. I rather play AC or iRacing online against humans that GT against a procession of moving obstacles.

Warablo

Realistic car games aren't fun to me. I guess I could see it being fun if you had a wheel controller.

Forza Horizon is where the fun is at.

Last edited:

Majukun

unlocking through skill and effort has been deemed passee, that's what happened...now you either give everything faster to keep people engaged or you go the other way, make everything an unbearable grind and make people pay real money to not play your game.

but gamers kinda want this thing because that's what they are used too at this point f te game, i remember comeone complaining that in cyberpunk you can't buy every single thing in the game with the money you are given, while the economy of the game (except for the crafting side) is probably one of the best realized aspects of the game.

Last edited:

Revas

The grind for cars has to give way at some point especially when you can buy in game cars with real money. Personally I'd rather spend my time driving and racing the cars I like rather than the ones I don't - I'm not against a campaign but signing on with a manufacturer and being given a car to drive should remain in GT.

As for Forza I don't know if the fan base really wants the series to change all that much. I wish the game was more of a sim but I've moved on to ACC and rFactor 2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The only type of racing games I enjoy other than Mario Kart is Motorstorm Apocalypse.

msa_under_truckt7mt.gif

I would LOVE see it get remaster/remake for PS5.

Last edited:

Three

Progression was replaced by currency. Now you can just buy the cars with real money. No more doing that one hard race to unlock that special car you always wanted only available from that race. Now if you give enough money or grind enough time you have it and you will be thrown random gambling microtransaction cars as filler until you can get the costly ones.

CitizenZ

Banned
Hundreds of threads about Forza and Gt and nothing about the only game that really is head and shoulders above them all, iracing. Funny, how this always happens.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm playing Dirt 5 right now, and I wouldnt call that anywhere near realistic vs Forza.

I dont really like racing sims, and Forza Horizon 4 is a good mix IMO. Drive Club too., I never played Gran Turismo.

Umbral

This man gets it. Saving up for a car in GT was a great feeling and having to pass license tests too.

Top Bottom