• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some people acting like flying is not possible in current gen games? (Horizon Forbidden West)

Chun Swae

Banned
This has been a talking point that I keep seeing about Horizon Forbidden West, and that the game won't have flying mounts because it's cross gen. I can only assume these people mean 'super speed' flying mounts because any other explanation makes no sense. We've been able to fly in open world games for decades now.

EDIT: Just found this video of a flying mount glitch in the PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn. So the people spouting that nonsense are delusional. Hopefully I won't have to see that argument again.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This has been a talking point that I keep seeing about Horizon Forbidden West, and that the game won't have flying mounts because it's cross gen. I can only assume these people mean 'super speed' flying mounts because any other explanation makes no sense. We've been able to fly in open world games for decades now.

Because some people are reacting to cross-gen like it's a stick in their arse. Also, it must be their first rodeo since they think it's something new and surprising.

Incidentally, they don't understand that developers don't implement really fast flying just because of streaming limitations. If you fly at the actual speed of a business jet, even the biggest maps will take one minute to traverse and will feel super-small.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
Because some people are reacting to cross-gen like it's a stick in their arse. Also, it must be their first rodeo since they think it's something new and surprising.
Lol it's just so silly to me because I can see if they said physics or AI or something to do with the Jaguar cpu in PS4. But I keep seeing people bring up flying which is a solved issue and i'm like ?.

Banned

because Sony said so.
they obviously lied because it's Sony and hearing anything that isn't a lie from Sony is the exception nit the rule.

Sony fanboys ate it up and even used it as an argument against Microsoft and their cross gen policy

Hunnybun

Lol it's just so silly to me because I can see if they said physics or AI or something to do with the Jaguar cpu in PS4. But I keep seeing people bring up flying which is a solved issue and i'm like ?.

Well it seems a reasonable point. The flying in something like GTA V is ridiculously slow, presumably because of the streaming limitations.

Chun Swae

Banned
because Sony said so.
they obviously lied because it's Sony and hearing anything that isn't a lie from Sony is the exception nit the rule.

Sony fanboys ate it up and even used it as an argument against Microsoft and their cross gen policy
None of what you just shitted out of your mouth has to do with flying on current gen games. Go cry somewhere else.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Flying in games with worlds that have enough granularity and detail to also walk around will be slow for a long while more. If you want a world in which flying really fast would be anything else than detrimental, you can take a look at Microsoft Flight Simulator. It's fantastic from above, but you certainly would be much less impressed if you walked around at ground level.

Next-gen won't change that, and cross-gen doesn't have any influence on that.

Star Citizen comes close to combining the ability to fly relatively fast and have detail on the ground, but you can see just how much tech needs to be developed for it, and ships are still slower than a cessna prop in atmosphere.

Last edited:

While flying has been in games since the PS1, it isn't the picture that is matching with Cerny's claims. We're talking about the level of detail streaming, how dense the environment would be as you navigate the environment. So far, the only reference point for "next-gen" flying sequence is the Unreal Engine 5 demo.

And that is the standard which "cross-gen" has to live up to and so far, nobody is stepping up to prove it.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

R
because Sony said so.

Read the op

Last edited:

Keihart

In the case of horizon it's pretty simple, as the game was build and how the culling system works, it was not possible in the last game due to the PS4 constraints, this was said by the devs themselves.
So in forbidden west, if there are flying mounts it's either gonna have to be a really aggressive fov system in place to acomodate PS4 or the game is gonna look generally worst than the first one.

If the PS4 version was made as a reaction, it's gonna probably have really poor performance and scaled back graphics even compared to the first if something like fliying mounts it's in, if it was developed with PS4 in mind from the get go, maybe the next gen version it's gonna be not as impressive as we were lead to believe, maybe focusing more on resolution and performance in the visual deparment.

Anyhow, there is a demo showing how in Spiderman PS4 the game would freeze at cerntain speeds showing the limitations of the hardware.

Chun Swae

Banned
Well it seems a reasonable point. The flying in something like GTA V is ridiculously slow, presumably because of the streaming limitations.
Not reasonable at all, flying at fast speeds is possible in a multitude of current gen games. Battlefield, No Mans Sky, Just Cause, literally most games with vehicles. and GTA V flying is not 'ridiculously slow' that's just hyperbole.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

It's more because if you could fly an F-16 at its actual speed you'd bump against the edge of the map in one minute.

Not reasonable at all, flying at fast speeds is possible in a multitude of current gen games. Battlefield, No Mans Sky, Just Cause, literally most games with vehicles. and GTA V flying is not 'ridiculously slow' that's just hyperbole.

That's not fast. The sensation of speed is artificially enhanced.

Chun Swae

Banned
In the case of horizon it's pretty simple, as the game was build and how the culling system works, it was not possible in the last game due to the PS4 constraints, this was said by the devs themselves.
So in forbidden west, if there are flying mounts it's either gonna have to be a really aggressive fov system in place to acomodate PS4 or the game is gonna look generally worst than the first one.

If the PS4 version was made as a reaction, it's gonna probably have really poor performance and scaled back graphics even compared to the first if something like fliying mounts it's in, if it was developed with PS4 in mind from the get go, maybe the next gen version it's gonna be not as impressive as we were lead to believe, maybe focusing more on resolution and performance in the visual deparment.

Anyhow, there is a demo showing how in Spiderman PS4 the game would freeze at cerntain speeds showing the limitations of the hardware.
Then that is a problem with their culling system which I'm sure they can fix if they wanted to add flying mounts bad enough but that isn't a PS4 limitation since as I said again, games have had flying for forever. also you mean this demo which had the ps4 pro flying around at super fast speeds as well? They could just lower the speed and allow assets to stream in like most games. Yeah, the argument just doesn't hold up.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Or because GTA V is a pretty small world and they don't want you getting from the top to the bottom in 10 seconds.

Here is Just Cause 2 which ran on a PS3/360 in a giant world. I remember playing this game and the flying seemed fine.

edit: quite frankly I think it's strange that people automatically assumed that Forbidden West would have flying mounts just because it's on PS5, and are acting bummed or that the game was "compromised" because it's also on PS4.

Last edited:

Fbh

No one is saying that ?.

I've only seen people talking specifically about Horizon because the devs have stated there were technical limitations which kept the game from having flying mounts. Which could be due to a variety of reasons like the way the engine renders the world or the team simply not wanting to obscure the world with fog or something like that

I've seen literally 0 post claiming flying in general isn't possible on current gen.

If the fact a different team making a different game on a different engine is not running into the same technical issues means that no game should be affected by it, then I guess we are also expecting horizon 2 to run at 120fps because if Halo Infinite can do it then every game can.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
No one is saying that ?.

I've only seen people talking specifically about Horizon because the devs have stated there were technical limitations which kept the game from having flying mounts. Which could be due to a variety of reasons like the way the engine renders the world or the team simply not wanting to obscure the world with fog or something like that

I've seen literally 0 post claiming flying in general isn't possible on current gen.

If a different team making a different game on a different engine not running into the same technical issues means that no game should be affected by it, then I guess we are also expecting horizon 2 to run at 120fps because if Halo Infinite can do it then every game can.
People are saying that, I can link you to a forum thread where people are saying that. How about you show me where the devs said flying isn't possible since a glitch allowed it on the PS4?

Keihart

Then that is a problem with their culling system which I'm sure they can fix if they wanted to add flying mounts bad enough but that isn't a PS4 limitation since as I said again, games have had flying for forever. also you mean this demo which had the ps4 pro flying around at super fast speeds as well? They could just lower the speed and allow assets to stream in like most games. Yeah, the argument just doesn't hold up.

You realize that i didn't said it was impossible but rather something that requires some compromises that weren't made on the first game thus requiring some compromises visually when comparing to the first game if done in PS4? You can pretty much do almost everything in games nowadays, you are only limited by what you are willing to compromise.

Banned
None of what you just shitted out of your mouth has to do with flying on current gen games. Go cry somewhere else.

fuck off with that attitude, it has absolutely to do with the topic.

Sony said flying mounts were impossible in Horizon 1 because the HDD can't load fast enough if you fly across the map.

that is bullshit but people (Sony fanboys) took it as a fact even tho there are tons of examples that prove them false.
and they of course believed it because it fits their agenda that Microsoft is big bad and Sony is great because they focus on next gen not cross gen (which was a lie as well)

AND it is the inly answer to the question asked by the title of this thread.
People think they are not possible because Sony lied, that's the answer

Last edited:
Never heard that one, hasn't anyone played far cry 4? (Certainly others, way before).

The difference is in how fast the assets can be streamed in... So you can have more different high details objects loading at any given moment.

Chun Swae

Banned
fuck off with that attitude, it has absolutely to do with the topic.

Sony said flying mounts were impossible in Horizon 1 because the HDD can't load fast enough if you fly across the map.

that is bullshit but people (Sony fanboys) took it as a fact even tho there are tons of examples that prove them false.
and they of course believed it because it fits their agenda that Microsoft is big bad and Sony is great because they focus on next gen not cross gen (which was a lie as well)
link me to where this statement happened and i'll believe you. until then it's just more lies coming out of an xbox fanboys mouth.

Because everyone nuthugs Cerny and treats every single sentence he utters with a reverence as if it was carried down from Mount Sinai itself.

Cerny never said anything about flying though? Take a chill pill

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's just the level of fidelity/lod you can do with it. That's why the Spiderman demo was so impressive because it was flying without compromising on street level detail.

Birdo

Banned
RingedDescriptiveEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

Chun Swae

Banned
Because they drank the PR of UE5 and Sony acting like this is a feature that can't be done with am HDD.
I'm not on your side xbots and that's not at all a claim UE5 or Sony made about the benefits of an SDD. This just seems like something people upset about horizon being cross gen made up.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm not on your side xbots and that's not at all a claim UE5 or Sony made about the benefits of an SDD. This just seems like something people upset about horizon being cross gen made up.

Maybe you should go back and read the threads about UE5 and the horizon reveal before you start calling people xbots.

Chun Swae

Banned
Maybe you should go back and read the threads about UE5 and the horizon reveal before you start calling people xbots.
You tried to make this about SSD's being overhyped and massively failed so now you're telling me to go read some threads? FYI it was never just about the ssd speed, it was about the I/O as well so you could use some reading up.

So the people spouting that nonsense are delusional.
Those people are the developers of that game themselves.,.....

Flying with tetris graphics at low speed and low draw distance is worlds apart from the requirements of flying in a game like Horizon at high speeds with the same big draw distance as on the ground....or in other words:
Judging from your nonsensical generalisation you have not the slightest idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Or because GTA V is a pretty small world and they don't want you getting from the top to the bottom in 10 seconds.

Here is Just Cause 2 which ran on a PS3/360 in a giant world. I remember playing this game and the flying seemed fine.

edit: quite frankly I think it's strange that people automatically assumed that Forbidden West would have flying mounts just because it's on PS5, and are acting bummed or that the game was "compromised" because it's also on PS4.

Just Cause really takes me back.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You tried to make this about SSD's being overhyped and massively failed so now you're telling me to go read some threads? FYI it was never just about the ssd speed, it was about the I/O as well so you could use some reading up.

Lol fucking what? You took a leap there that nobody insinuated.

Where did I say the SSD was overhyped? Where did I say it was just about the SSD and not I/O?

You asked a question and you got an answer.

It looks like you're possibly new here. I suggest you tone it down a bit and go read those threads. Its the answer to your question.

Edit: Guess I was too late with the advice.

Last edited:

ABnormal

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

On Battlefield multiplayer there's no streaming of areas, they are already entirely on RAM, so there's no limit to the speed of flight (it is decided only on the base of the gameplay). And NMS and JC use procedural created areas, with no streaming at all. The world is just created procedurally, not streamed from the hdd.

Three

Doesn't it depend on the engine and how the game is made? If you create assets with the appropriate LOD so that everything visible can fit in memory and be streamed fast enough then flying is possible. If a game is made with winding valleys or caves to facilitate loading of high LOD assets for regions while you are walking through it then it's not easy to then make flying possible in that game. An SSD would facilitate this fast loading but it doesn’t really mean flying isn't possible on a HDD if a game is made with flying at the beginning.

Top Bottom