• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't you an eSports prodigy?

ssringo

I'm that good because it's my hobby and I find it fun. If it was my job I'd probably hate it and lose my edge.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Gaming hobby same way watching an and reading comics, nothing more and nothing less. Also I exclusively play single player.

I don’t care much if people call me hard core or casual, I just like to play games.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
there's a difference between doing something for fun and doing to make money; it's like doing martial arts, you could be great at it, but doing it as a full time job is completely different from just doing it for personal growth/fun.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'd love to get into coaching. I'm still in the top 5% of most FPS eSports games I play - but pro's being in the 0.2% I'm still way off - and I'm 40, lazy and eye-hand coordination only gets slower by the year, so I get satisfied when I'm winning over the Mickey Mouses in the lobbies and that's enough for me.

I'm not that good and I have a (shitty)real job.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I made a deal with God that I'd only unleash my preternatural esports skills once they patch an Easy mode into Souls games.

Not a second before, not a second after.

The Stig

too slow and old these days.

if esports was as big as it is today I think I'd have made some money playing Quake 3

Spyxos

Gold Member
I was never good enough. And a friend of mine was an e-sports professional in cs 1.6 and he earned only 400 euros per month. I preferred to deliver pizzas for more than three times that.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Only game I'm a master at is Virtua Fighter. I don't think it counts as sport. Actually I dislike sports of all kinds. Real life, gaming. The only sports game I was able to have any success with was Wii Sports. Yep..

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I don't want to live out of pocket change for most of my professional life and then have to retire at 30 when I will have to become a streamer begging for money.

Nydius

Because the eSports trend didn't kick off until I was old.

When I was younger, I did play in amateur BF1942 and BF Vietnam ladder tournaments that had actual cash and material prizes.
That's the closest I came to "eSports".

Last edited:

poodaddy

I lack the skill, determination, intellectual capacity, reflexes, drive to win, competitive personality, cripplingly traumatic insecurity, intolerable awkwardness, sexual deviance, and odor so intense it seems medically significant. In short, I ain't got what it takes.

Mercador

I was quite good at Q3A, I even played against Fatal1ty during an E3 event. But at that time, eSport wasn't really a thing yet. Now, I'm way too old.

Aenima

I could never spend enough time playing the same game over and over again to reach a professional competetive level. Im constatly changing the videogame genres im playing otherwise i would get bored.

Tg89

Because it's a business where only the top 0.0001% make diddly.

Not remotely likely there's even one person on this forum good enough at a game to make a decent living on it. You look at the level that CS/Dota/SCII Pros play at and it's not something you get to without a hell of a lot of practice/some natural ability and good timing.

Big difference between being "really good" at a game and making good money off of it.

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

Was in CAL for Battlefield 1942, eSports was young then.. wasn't much money in it lol. (Never made a dime 😋)

Too old and blind to keep up at that level these days, and the players today are just way better then we used to be.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I was quite good at Q3A, I even played against Fatal1ty during an E3 event. But at that time, eSport wasn't really a thing yet. Now, I'm way too old.
Holy crap...like back in 99 or 200?
I totally did the same thing! Well I played KillCr33k first then played Faltal1ty in later rounds. I got a sound card from Soundblaster at the booth.

Good times.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
At the nvidia Reality Tour 2006 they had a Battlefield 2142 tournament (in the store at my location) and for winning I got a PC with all top of the line parts like Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800, Cooler Master Stacker 830 nvidia edition case, GeForce 8800 GTX, 1kw PC Power & Cooling PSU, etc...

I've long since sold the PC (I wish I had kept it) but I do still have the t-shirt that I got form the event and pictures of the computer. Once every few years my dad will bring up that tournament, it was an awesome memory lol.

Nowadays I play for fun, but if motivated perhaps I could make a comeback lol

• I doubt my aim/decision making these days would ever put me in the pro category.
  • You don't see many middle aged dudes going at esports, we aren't going to be winning any team/sponsor contracts out there.
  • The time required to train or keep at that level is immense.
  • I could never give up GAF for some frivolous esports chasing /joke.
As for my kids and their friends having a shot?

tenor.gif

I took my son to a few FPS events/tournies down under and he won a handful of prizes but never had that drive to compete at the highest levels or friends to make a squad I could semi-coach on the regular. My daughter does the soccer version of esports instead, she's a beast out there and only games for fun.

Sleepwalker

I used to compete in esoprts, went to a few tournaments abroad (all expenses covered) and got paid to play for a few years, eventually you get burned out just like every other thing you do way too much. The pandemic served as a clean break for me, no more trips, no more play. Replacing a LAN event with online stuff is a joke, so much shady shit goes on so I took it as a chance to call it quits lol.

Top Bottom