• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't we have Sega Racing Classic (Daytona USA) on XBLA/PSN?

east of eastside said:
Why did you make this thread and make me remember real gaming?

Because in all honesty, I'm craving some Daytona USA 2 acton.

daytona2.gif

ssm_daytona_2_web.jpg

Raide said:
It makes too much sense, therefore SEGA won't do it.

More like, not enough people are going to buy it to make it worthwhile to port it. I don't doubt that if you looked at the sales of the more recent Outrun, Afterburner, and Sega Rally games on XBLA they would be pretty weak.

If people want a racing game they have a massive library of modern ones to choose from and a good subset of them would have benefitted the development studios and the industry if people ever bought them. Blur, Split/Second, PGR 4, Race Pro, and TDU 1 & 2, have been ignored enough to warrant a $20 bargain bin pickup.

Tizoc

As someone who bought and loved SEGA Rally Online, I wouldn't mind buying these other SEGA racing games if they make it to PSN and XBL =)
One game I liked to play a lot at arcades as a kid was Scud Race I could NEVER finish the first track but I enjoyed it non the less.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No point in re-releasing them if they are not going to add proper wheel's force feedback (like they've done with Outrun). We were lucky Sega Rally Revo had all the FFB code for Sega Rally Online Arcade or we would've gotten shit.

Dash Kappei said:
No point in re-releasing them if they are not going to add proper wheel's force feedback (like they've done with Outrun). We were lucky Sega Rally Revo had all the FFB code for Sega Rally Online Arcade or we would've gotten shit.

I totally agree with you on that, not that it would stop me from instantly buying any Daytona release.

I can see two problems with this:

1. Without the Daytona name, this theoretical DD title wouldn't have the Daytona theme, immediately making the game less enjoyable.

2. Planet Harriers needs to be released first. I've been waiting too damn long!

RedNumberFive said:
I can see two problems with this:

1. Without the Daytona name, this theoretical DD title wouldn't have the Daytona theme, immediately making the game less enjoyable.

2. Planet Harriers needs to be released first. I've been waiting too damn long!

Planet Harriers is one of a long, long list of games Sega needs to port over for home play. IMHO all the Model 3 games need to be ported over first.

Without the Daytona name or theme, it would not reach as many people than if it had them, but I would still enjoy the gameplay and graphics.

I still dream of the day when I can play Scud Race at home :( Played so much of that game (and Rush 2049) at the arcade back in the day.

There is a lot of Sega arcade racers that should get ports. Sega is blowing it.

For me, the dream ended in 1997 when Sega chose PowerVR for Katana/Dreamcast. I wish Sega had made different choices. I won't get into all of that here, but, just just breaks my heart....

Anyway, I had a chance to play both Daytona USA 2 and Scud Race the other week at Desoto Mall here in Bradenton, Florida (south of Tampa) and man, that really got me wanting a home version of Daytona USA 2 in the form of a Sega Racing Classic 2.

I owned every version of Daytona USA on the Sega consoles. Every time there was a chance that Sega would improve the home port a bit, I would buy it.

I still have the original Saturn version and the Championship Circuit Edition. When I still had my Dreamcast, I had Daytona USA 2001!

If you could've combined the handling mechanics of the Saturn version with the graphics of 2001, you would've had the perfect Daytona port.

Someone nailed it, releasing this stuff makes a lot of sense, but it wouldn't sell. It's old farts like us who sit around and wax nostalgic about the old Sega games that would buy it, and there's not enough of us. Fuckin' a.

U n i o n 0015 said:
If you could've combined the handling mechanics of the Saturn version with the graphics of 2001, you would've had the perfect Daytona port.

I'd still take the handling, drone car A.I., etc and graphics of the original Model 2 arcade version over a combined Saturn+Dreamcast version ^__^

Dash Kappei

herzogzwei1989 said:
I totally agree with you on that, not that it would stop me from instantly buying any Daytona release.
I hear you :/
I've bought Outrun Online Arcade on both psn and xbla just to find out it was awful with both the fisherprice wheel and the G27; in almost 30years of gaming the only time I've double dipped before was just for SFIII:TS, Ikaruga and... After Burner Climax (x360>TV+ps3>projector)!

Well, isn't those Model 1/2 games using quadrilateral rendering instead of the today used triangules rendering? In a port to a modern system, everything must be redone, from geometry to textures, and so besides the effort, it would not be a perfect port (I guess this is way the Dreamcast port is not so good, while Saturn was the last Sega hardware to use quadrilateral rendering).

Chiaroscuro said:
Well, isn't those Model 1/2 games using quadrilateral rendering instead of the today used triangules rendering? In a port to a modern system, everything must be redone, from geometry to textures, and so besides the effort, it would not be a perfect port (I guess this is way the Dreamcast port is not so good, while Saturn was the last Sega hardware to use quadrilateral rendering).

It would be still no problem for modern systems to emulate at least Model 2 games while Model 3 games would need actual porting, I suppose.

At this point, I'd pay near anything reasonable to have both Daytona arcade games, Scud Race and Sega Rally 2 ported perfectly, offered as DD-only with force feedback support.

Also sorry, I am trying to keep this thread going, but if it dies, it dies...

Dash Kappei

herzogzwei1989 said:
On another note, I wish I could get Modeler 1.0 to work. I mean, I've got the emu to run, just not Daytona USA, if you know what I mean :/
I don't have a problem with that (Win-7 64bit) but I've only tried Daytona 1 and I couldn't get the FFB to work even following Isamu's posts back in the day so in the end I gave up on it, I'm not even sure it is possible with my G27.

GenericUser

Sega seems to be trapped in a time paradoxon. These guys really need to remember their 90s roots, games like daytona, nights (a GOOD HD nights), panzer dragoon ( i cant believe they've let panzer dragoon die), story of thor (oasis), soleil, sonic cd (i said it), shining force (the Srpg) etc are just waiting to pull the money out of my sega heart.

But ... no says the guy in tokio, this is what serves you right:

166164_main.jpg

I dream of arcade-perfect ports of Virtua Racing, Daytona, Daytona 2, Sega Rally, Sega Rally 2, Scud Race/Super GT... all on one disc for $40.

Trojan X

Banned
FunnyBunny said:
I dream of arcade-perfect ports of Virtua Racing, Daytona, Daytona 2, Sega Rally, Sega Rally 2, Scud Race/Super GT... all on one disc for $40.

SEGAnewslogan0.jpg

You and 500,000 people requested the same thing. It will never happen because it makes sense.

FunnyBunny said:

That would be fine by me, any way I can get it. DD only or disc at retail.

FunnyBunny said:

I've been wishing for this for years. Go ahead and add Indy 500 and ManxTT as well.

sponk said:
Sega seems to be trapped in a time paradoxon. These guys really need to remember their 90s roots, games like daytona, nights (a GOOD HD nights), panzer dragoon ( i cant believe they've let panzer dragoon die), story of thor (oasis), soleil, sonic cd (i said it), shining force (the Srpg) etc are just waiting to pull the money out of my sega heart.

But ... no says the guy in tokio, this is what serves you right:

They made a Daytona for Dreamcast, it failed. They made a Panzer Dragoon for Xbox, it failed. They made a new Nights game, it failed. You can wrap "good" around every title, and believe them when they set out to and want to make good games. If the market doesn't like these games, why make more of them.

The only thing they have that has proven to sell is Sonic.

I love those games as much as anyone but the market has proven they don't give a shit. Like bringing back Alex Kidd or Fantasy Zone for the 5,000 people who care. Just isn't worth it to them.

BTW, SCUD Race/Super GT was never a good driving game. You could hardly call it a driving game. More like a slippery hovercar game. It exists in gamers minds because it was the pinnacle of graphics at the time and a somewhat hard to find and expensive arcade machine on release. Like the quote from Dave Perry at the time in a game magazine...people lined up to play San Fran Rush and banks of Super GT sitting there covered in dust. It just wasn't fun.

Sapiens

Glad there are like minded sega fans out there still. Sucks that we are all being forsaken for the sake of who knows what.

I would pay a lot for perfect emulation of daytona 1 & 2. Full price. 50 bucks. No one else would.

Hopefully, the next gen offers significantly more powerful hardware and talented coders that can emulate these games so that nothing is lost in a sloppy port.

I mean, a lot of these sega arcade games come from am2 so that means a lot of work was done in machine code, thus much would be lost in porting.

Also, Saturn was not the last to render quads, model3 was.

Sega could not do the easiest game back when they could have of putting Chu Chu Rocket on XBLA. Any game technically above that would have just been a dream.

Sapiens

Speaking of ports, I will say one thing, i was able to get the same lap times in dreamcast daytona as I was able to in the arcade version. In manual transmission anyways. I mean, for what it's worth. I never understood the complaints about the dc port. It was totally fine.

I guess we'll have to stick to building our own pc rigs and keep donating to emulator authors.

Sapiens said:
Also, Saturn was not the last to render quads, model3 was.

Saturn (VDP1, VDP2 sprite based) didn't render actual polygons though, whereas Model 2 (Marin Marietta based) and Model 3 (Lockheed Martin Real3D based), did.

GrayFoxPL

Guys maybe they don't do it because this shit doesn't sell?

We all in this thread probably accumulate for all the western buyers of these games.

GrayFoxPL said:
Guys maybe they don't do it because this shit doesn't sell?

We all in this thread probably accumulate for all the western buyers of these games.

Probably right, but Sega could still make a small profit on it. Too bad Sega just doesn't care anymore ;__;

bought both OOArcade and AClimax. if they put similar effort into their other racing games, sign me up.

above examples show that quality arcade releases can happen, you guys just have to buy it and tell your (hopefully) cool friends about it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
sponk said:

FtLMu.jpg

Not HD, but it's got 408p and more importantly: it's GOOD :)
Shame it didn't sell. We might have gotten a Burning Rangers remake.

Top Bottom