• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't we invest the Social Security Trust Fund in the stock market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soybean

Feel free to tell me the flaws in this thinking. I thought about this the other day, and it turns out Bill Clinton already wanted to do this. Now I love him even more. Anyway...

My concern with private accounts is in part the volatility, but mainly it's the idea of doing away with the notion of a guaranteed benefit. There already exist excellent vehicles for personal retirement investment in the form of IRAs and 401(k)s (which if any of you have not opened yet, I'd do so immediately if you are able; yes even college students). So for starters, I want the Trust Fund to exist to offer guaranteed benefits not just to retirees, but also to the disabled and such.

However, rather than investing the surplus into Treasury bonds, why not invest it (or at least some of it) into the stock market? I guess one immediate problem would be that the surplus will be erased soon (which is why we should have been doing this for decades already), but we can get rid of the payroll tax ceiling or something. And/or have the government pay back some of the existing bonds so the Trust Fund can buy stocks instead (which I know is a problem now since we'd either have to cut the deficit instantly or borrow on new Treasury bonds).

One thing Alan Greenspan was concerned about was the government politicizing its investments. But that can be avoided by investing into non-managed indices rather than with a fund manager. In fact, you can use the existing G, F, C, S and I funds that the Thrift Savings Plan for federal employees already uses!

The threat of volatility (already admittedly low if you examine stock market performance over a long period of time) is lessened by the fact that the government isn't on a 40, 30 or 20 year retirement savings timeline. They have centuries to ride out bad times. Sure, sometimes they'll dip into the Trust Fund's principal, but most of the time they will able to pay out of the Trust Fund on capital gains alone!

Why isn't this being talked about in Washington? And even if it is, why haven't I heard anything on it? Democrats are opposed to Bush's private accounts plan, but they aren't offering an alternative plan to really woo voters. This could be that plan!

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Having the government invest and bear the risk is definitely better than having individuals bear the risk. I'm not sure it would make a big difference in the solvency issue, though.

But Democrats already have an alternative: keep the system. Bush's plan is self-destructing at the polls; there's no reason to offer him an out.

Remember, Bush hasn't committed to recognizing the trust fund and paying it back. It doesn't really matter where you invest it if you never intend to honor it. That's where Democrats should be raising a big stink.

This whole thing is fuckign ridiculous. The current Social Security system works just fine. The problem is the government keeps on borrowing from the pool of money. We need to keep our hands out of the fucking piggy bank.

And you really want the money you have dumped into social security your whole life to be at the mercy of the stock market? I'll pass.

Dilbert

The system is fine -- it simply requires more money flowing in. It would be easy to generate an influx of cash -- raise the payroll tax on the highest wage-earners.

Gee, I wonder why the Republicans don't want to propose THAT?

Triumph

Banned
I think David Cross said it best:

David Cross said:
And Bush wants to take all of the Social Security money and invest in the stock market. The FUCKING STOCK MARKET. That's like betting it on a horse. Yeah, let's take all of our future ability to feed ourselves, clothe ourselves and house ourselves and just go bet in on Papa's Moustache in the 5th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom